R.I.P. Kelvin Kiptum

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

R.I.P. Kelvin Kiptum

#1 Post by BackInTex » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:05 pm

Marathon world record-holder Kelvin Kiptum, who was set to be a superstar, has
died in a car crash at 24

NAIROBI – Marathon world record-holder Kelvin Kiptum, who was set to be a superstar of long-distance running and was a top contender for gold at the Olympics in Paris this year, was killed along with his coach in a car crash in Kenya.

Their vehicle was the only one involved in the crash late Sunday and Kiptum was driving when it veered off a road and into a ditch before hitting a tree, police said.

Kenya's Kiptum was 24 and one of the most exciting prospects to emerge in road running in years, having broken the world record in only his third appearance in an elite marathon. His record, set at last year's Chicago Marathon, was ratified by international track federation World Athletics just last week.

His death reverberated through Kenya, where runners are the biggest sports stars. Kenyans have also gotten used to tragic tales involving their top athletes after a number have died in road crashes, other accidents and domestic violence cases.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: R.I.P. Kelvin Kiptum

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:20 pm

Very sorry to learn of this tragic death. Steve Prefontaine was also 24 when a car crash took his life.

Condolences to Kenya.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller