Ladies & Gentleman, Taylor Swift

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Appa23

Ladies & Gentleman, Taylor Swift

#1 Post by Appa23 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:17 am

After an incredible 2023, she is still reaching incredible New Heights with everything.

In December, she was slotted at #5 on the world’s most powerful list behind two EU leaders, Kamala Harris, and the new PM of Italy. I would argue that she likely should have been higher than one based on current power being wielded.

Last Wednesday, Billboard named her #1 on its list of the 100 most powerful people in music, with no other artists in at least the top 40. (I stopped looking)

Last night, she became the first artist to win the Grammy for Best Album for a 4th time, breaking a tie with Sinatra, Wonder, and Simon. She’s only 34 and has 4 wins out of 10 albums. (Poor Jay-Z had just reminded everyone that his wife has failed to win AOTY even once.)

Plus, she made the Super Bowl in her first year in the NFL. :)

(She turns 35 years old prior to actual inauguration, so has anyone checked if she’s eligible to run for President ? Maybe a ticket with Jason Kelce, post-retirement.)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Ladies & Gentleman, Taylor Swift

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:23 am

Appa23 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:17 am
(She turns 35 years old prior to actual inauguration, so has anyone checked if she’s eligible to run for President ? Maybe a ticket with Jason Kelce, post-retirement.)
She was born in West Reading, PA, I'm pretty sure she's lived in the United States for at least 14 years, and she's not an oath-breaking insurrectionist, so she's good. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:33 am

Also, Taylor was the Time Person of the Year, the first entertainer to get that honour (maybe not as prestigious as it once was, but still worth mentioning).

She is eligible to run for president, as confirmed by her opponents Biden (who constantly recounts that he was elected to the Senate at 29) and Trump (whose lawyers argue that even if he’s an insurrectionist, he can still run for president because Congress can remove the disqualification after the election).
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am

jarnon wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:33 am
Also, Taylor was the Time Person of the Year, the first entertainer to get that honour (maybe not as prestigious as it once was, but still worth mentioning).

She is eligible to run for president, as confirmed by her opponents Biden (who constantly recounts that he was elected to the Senate at 29) and Trump (whose lawyers argue that even if he’s an insurrectionist, he can still run for president because Congress can remove the disqualification after the election).
It's easier than that for Ms. Swift, who's never held public office and therefore has never taken an oath that would potentially subject her to the Disqualification Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:23 am
Appa23 wrote:
She was born in West Reading, PA, I'm pretty sure she's lived in the United States for at least 14 years, and she's not an oath-breaking insurrectionist, so she's good. --Bob
Been quite a few decades since we’ve had an actual insurrection, so that was clear.

BTW, thanks for making a political comment on a non-political post.

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:42 am

Appa23 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
Been quite a few decades since we’ve had an actual insurrection, so that was clear.

Yeah, the two Bobs just can't help themselves. TDS is real.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

jarnon

#7 Post by jarnon » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:43 am

Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:

It's easier than that for Ms. Swift, who's never held public office and therefore has never taken an oath that would potentially subject her to the Disqualification Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. --Bob
I’m making the general point that you don’t have to be eligible to hold an office at the time that you run for it.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:23 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:

Feeling defensive? Unlike you, I didn't say a damn thing about any current event. I'll refrain from commenting on your rewriting of history. --Bob

Vandal
Director of Promos

#9 Post by Vandal » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:42 pm

She is seven years away from being eligible for the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. If Travis Kelce plays 2 more years, he’ll be eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame the same year.

The universe can only hope.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:23 pm
[ Unlike you, I didn't say a damn thing about any current event.
Sure you did, Bob. Anyone with a brain and intellectually honesty knows you did. So which one are you lacking? Both is a valid answer, btw.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:15 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:09 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Sure you did, Bob. Anyone with a brain and is intellectually honesty knows you did. So which one are you lacking? Both is a valid answer, btw.
Nope. All I did was canvass the complete list of Constitutional qualifications for the Presidency (except for age, which the original post covered) and apply them to Ms. Swift. That was a subject that Appa explicitly raised in his post.

Nothing in my post said or even suggested that any current candidate fails to meet any of those qualifications. I did not suggest that any current candidate wasn't born in the United States and I didn't suggest that any current candidate hasn't lived in the country for 14 years. My post also didn't suggest that any current candidate has run afoul of the Disqualification Clause.

My post very carefully said absolutely nothing about any current candidate. Reading that into my post is on you. What's next? Will you complain that I'm hurting your fist by repeatedly striking it with my face? --Bob

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:32 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:15 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Sure you did, Bob. Anyone with a brain and is intellectually honesty knows you did. So which one are you lacking? Both is a valid answer, btw.
Nope. All I did was canvass the complete list of Constitutional qualifications for the Presidency (except for age, which the original post covered) and apply them to Ms. Swift. That was a subject that Appa explicitly raised in his post.

Nothing in my post said or even suggested that any current candidate fails to meet any of those qualifications. I did not suggest that any current candidate wasn't born in the United States and I didn't suggest that any current candidate hasn't lived in the country for 14 years. My post also didn't suggest that any current candidate has run afoul of the Disqualification Clause.

My post very carefully said absolutely nothing about any current candidate. Reading that into my post is on you. What's next? Will you complain that I'm hurting your fist by repeatedly striking it with my face? --Bob
O.K. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with option 2.

You knew (and intended) that others (i.e. everone) would read into it what you indeed wanted them to and what you were referring to. But that's O.K. We know. We all know.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:42 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:32 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:15 pm
BackInTex wrote:

O.K. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with option 2.

You knew (and intended) that others (i.e. everone) would read into it what you indeed wanted them to and what you were referring to. But that's O.K. We know. We all know.
So was my reference to Ms. Swift being born in America some kind of disguised reference to the claim that President Obama was born in Kenya?

I answered Appa's original question directly and thoroughly and carefully limited what I said to Ms. Swift herself. Anything else is on you.

I will add that your claimed ability to read my mind and to read into what I carefully wrote something that I demonstrably did not say is somewhat startling in light of some other things I've seen you post. --Bob

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:26 pm

jarnon wrote:
No, that was Judy Garland.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

#15 Post by jarnon » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:43 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:26 pm
jarnon wrote:
I checked the list again and don’t see Miss Garland or any other entertainer, but I could be mistaken.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:49 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Feeling defensive? Unlike you, I didn't say a damn thing about any current event. I'll refrain from commenting on your rewriting of history. --Bob
Lol!
Y'all really don't "get" irony, do you?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Vandal
Director of Promos

#17 Post by Vandal » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:21 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
jarnon wrote:
Judy Garland was never Time Person of the Year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:43 am

jarnon wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:43 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
jarnon wrote:
I checked the list again and don’t see Miss Garland or any other entertainer, but I could be mistaken.
You're right; I should have checked Google.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.