Game #215: Role Play

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

#1 Post by franktangredi » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:52 am

Identify the 100 movies in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 36 groups of three according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Eight movies will be used twice, each time in a different capacity.

That’s all there is to it. But beware of combinations that seem to work as singles or pairs but not as triples.

1. It was the first movie in a language other than English to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Picture.

2. “Every day I think about what you said to me that day on the bridge. I tried to live my life the best that I could. I hope that was enough. I hope that, at least in your eyes, I've earned what all of you have done for me.”

3. People who appeared as themselves in this movie included the author of Tropic of Cancer, the founder of the ACLU, and the Toastmaster General of the United States.

4. “Say, mister. Will you stake a fellow American to a meal?”

5. In the opinion of many people – including me – this British film was far superior to a film on the same topic that won the Oscar for Best Picture four decades later.

6. “If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'.”

7. A record 300,000 extras were used in the funeral scene of this movie

8. “We need to get off this merry-go-round sir. The next mistake our countries make could be the last one. We need to have the conversation our governments can't.”

9. A German-born French actress won an American Oscar for this British film.

10. “We shall be friends. I have prayed many times for God to send me a friend. It’s very lonely here and it’s been a long time since any human being came into this hut. I shall look after you and you will comfort me. And now you must lie down and go to sleep. Yes. Yes. Now, you must sleep.”

11. This movie supplied the title for a U.S. President’s autobiography.

12. “Cigarette?”
“Smoking.”

13. John Gilbert stated that this was the only one of his movies that was worth making.

14. “This is for ladies only!”
“So is this, ma'am, but every now and then I have to run a little water through it.”

15. This notorious bomb shares its name with an ancient goddess of sexuality and war.

16. "Did you ever pick cotton? After an hour, the hulls start cuttin' your fingers. Then by noon both of your hands is bleedin'. And later on your fingers start to swell. And after a little more time, they ain't no feelin' in your hands whatsoever. And I ain't even speakin' about what it does to your knees and I ain't even talkin' about what it does to your back. Now, we can't do it. Now, get that through your head. Once and for all, we can't do it. Now, you best stop thinkin' about it before you end up killin' yourself!"

17. As noted in SSS’s last puzzle, this comedy had a sudden cast change when one of its stars made an unhealthy decision.

18. “The night was sultry.”

19. When the decomposing body of the subject of this biopic was found by a hunter, it weighed only 67 pounds; the official cause of death was starvation.

20. “That Stradivarius is worth over a million dollars!”
“Well, if I drop it, it won’t be worth sh*t.”

21. It was one of the most popular films of 1974, but the author of the novel it was based on complained that its right-wing message was exactly the opposite of what he intended.

22. “Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat - the same tightness a man gets when his baby takes his first step or his first baby shaves and makes his first sound as a man. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.”

23. A line from this movie was ranked #33 on the AFI list of greatest movie quotes, but the character who spoke it didn’t have a single other line in the movie.

24. “I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of – ”
“What do you call this?”
“Well, this piece is called ‘Lick My Love Pump.’”

25. This big-BIG-budget musical was the first of only two films to feature a willowy actor who won Tony awards in four different categories.

26. “Have you ever killed anyone?”
“Yeah, but they were all bad.”

27. If you want to see the Chairman of the Board as a Spanish guerrilla during the Napoleonic Wars, this will surely be your only chance.

28. “I find you attractive. Your aggressive moves toward me ... indicate that you feel the same way. But still, ritual requires that we continue with a number of platonic activities before we have sex. I am proceeding with these activities, but in point of actual fact, all I really want to do is have intercourse with you as soon as possible. Are you going to slap me now?”

29. The hero of this 1950 noir thriller is an officer of the U.S. Public Health Service. Really.

30. “After what we've just been through, any sane man would be screaming for a weapon.”
“Well, I never claimed to be sane.”

31. The director of this documentary was so stressed out by the director of the film he was documenting that he wrote in his diary, " I couldn't care less if they move the stupid ship – or finish the f**king film".

32. “You're here today so I can personally tell you that you are going to die in federal prison. And so are all your friends. No deal. No compromise. And when that day comes when you start trying to be my hero collaborator so hard that I have to slap you to shut up – and it will come, despite your pitiable, misguided, Irish Omertà – when your code of silence finally gives way to fear of trafficking in cigarettes to prevent sexual enslavement, I just want you to know that it's gonna be me who told you to go f**k yourself.”

33. The soundtrack of this biopic includes one of my all-time favorite pieces of music, the overture to Candide.

34. “And it's really starting to p*ss me off, Dave! She's my own little daughter, and I can't even cry for her!”
“Jimmy, you're crying now.”

35. This 1979 film about Mexican American street gangs in East L.A. has been selected for preservation by the National Film Registry.

36. “I go outta here every morning, I bust my butt 'cause I like you? You're about the biggest fool I ever saw. A man is supposed to take care of his family. You live in my house, feed your belly with my food, put your behind on my bed because you're my son. It's my duty to take care of you, I owe a responsibility to you, I ain't got to like you!”

37. Though he himself was Jewish, studio chief Jack Warner ordered that the word “Jew” be banned from this Oscar-winning biopic so as not to hurt ticket sales in Nazi Germany.

38. “Just in case I wasn't enough of a freak already, let's add a tiara!”

39. This schlocky 1950s monster movie transfers the eighth plague of Exodus from Egypt to Chicago.

40. “Are you suggesting, madam, that there exists a law compelling a gentleman to lay hold of canine bowel movements?”
“I'm suggesting that you pick the poop up.”

41. The three top-billed actors in this live action Disney movie all played murderers on Columbo.

42. “At your age, you're going to have a lot of urges. You're going to want to take off your clothes, and touch each other. But if you do touch each other, you will get chlamydia ... and die.”

43. This 1947 film noir is notable for its use of point-of-view camerawork, such as the hero’s face only being seen when he looks in a mirror.

44. “Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room?”

45. Appropriately, Amarillo Slim had a bit part in this Robert Altman film.

46. “Let us dream to the extent of saying that on a given Sunday night the time normally occupied by Ed Sullivan is given over to a clinical survey of the state of American education, and a week or two later the time normally used by Steve Allen is devoted to a thoroughgoing study of American policy in the Middle East.”

47. The young actor who made his film debut in this 1983 comedy was, at the same time, starring on Broadway in a highly successfully comedy by the movie’s screenwriter.

48. “It's the same old story. Boy finds girl, boy loses girl, girl finds boy, boy forgets girl, boy remembers girl, girls dies in a tragic blimp accident over the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day.”

49. The nonfiction book that inspired this movie was subtitled A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption.

50. “Separate the men from the boys, Emma. I show some wear, I don't deny it. The fruit hangs on the tree long enough, it gets ripe. I'm durable, I'm steady and I'm faithful. And I'm in love for the last time in my life.”
“I'm in love for the first time in my life.”

51. This was the first non-American production to win the Oscar as Best Picture.

52. “He just wants to know that you don't hate him.”
“Hate him! How could I hate him? Mothers don't hate their sons!”

53. It was the first movie in its genre to win the Oscar for Best Picture in 59 years.

54. “Maybe it's easy for the dying to be honest. I'm sick of you, sick of this house, sick of my unhappy life with you. I'm sick of your brothers and their dirty tricks to make a dime. There must be better ways of getting rich than building sweatshops and pounding the bones of the town to make dividends for you to spend. You'll wreck the town, you and your brothers. You'll wreck the country, you and your kind, if they let you. But not me, I'll die my own way, and I'll do it without making the world worse. I leave that to you.”

55. This infamous turkey was a pseudo-biography of Randy, Glenn, Felipe, David, Alex, and Ray.

56. “Lord save little children. The wind blows, and the rains are cold. Yet they abide.”

57. Released in 1912, this short film is often considered the first gangster movie and is also notable for its pioneering use of follow focus cinematography.

58. “I think if people see this footage, they'll say, ‘Oh, my God, that's horrible.’ And then they'll go on eating their dinners.”

59. Three of the actresses in this film would later get back in the habit for The Sound of Music, The Flying Nun, and Sister Act.

60. “Are you a vampire?”
“I live off blood. Yes.”
“Are you ... dead?”
“No. Can't you tell?”
“But ... are you old?”
“I'm twelve. But I've been twelve for a long time.”

61. William H. Balgarnie of Leys School, Cambridge, was the inspiration for the main character of this movie.

62. “You know, maybe we're - we're only good at brief encounters, walking around in European cities in warm climates.”

63. This adaptation of a minor Shaw comedy was originally set to star Harpo Marx in what would have been his only speaking role.

64. “A naked American man stole my balloons.”

65. The earliest living winner of the Best Actress Oscar got her second nomination for playing the repressed title character of this film.

66. "You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order!"

67. The Olympians in this film included an actor and actress who had previously worked together as the Moor of Venice and his bride.

68. “The force behind a great company has to be more than the pride of one man; it has to be the pride of thousands. You can't make men work for money alone - you starve their souls when you try it, and you can starve a company to death the same way.”

69. Lion tamer Clyde Beatty and big game hunter Frank Buck appeared as themselves in this Abbott and Costello comedy.

70. “So this is Rome. Where the pigeons eat caviar.”
“And the secretaries eat alone.”

71. This movie was based on a memoir by the actor who played Mark. (Oh, hai….)

72. “We all have our limitations, Freddy. Fortunately, I discovered that taste and style were commodities that people desired. Freddy, what I am saying is: know your limitations. You are a moron.”

73. This was the first of two movies produced to commemorate the 500th anniversary of a historic real-life voyage.

74. “Why do you want to dance?”
“Why do you want to live?”
“Well I don't know exactly why, but I must.”
“That's my answer, too.”

75. This movie features Ken’s most despicable character, but at least he got a girlfriend out of it.

76. “You know, 35 years ago, preparing for a concert meant playing ‘find the cobra’ with the hotel chambermaid.”

77. This movie featured Ruth Chatterton in a role that would later be played by Gladys George, Lana Turner, and Tuesday Weld.

78. “He's wrong, it don't take much strength to pull a trigger but try getting up every morning, day after day, and work for a living, let's see him try that, then we'll see who the real tough guy is. The working man is the tough guy, your father's the tough guy!”

79. This film – cast with actual Lombard peasants – won the Palme d’Or at Cannes and the Cesar Award for Best Foreign Film.

80. “Eine kleine Kirche. A sha-pel. We build a shap-el right here.”

81. Nine cast members of this Hugh Grant comedy would later go on to appear on The Sopranos.

82. “Democracy shtunk!”
(“Democracy is fragrant.”)
“Liberty shtunk!”
(“Liberty is odious.”)
"Freisprechen shtunk!"
(“Free speech is objectionable.”)

83. This wartime romance was the first movie in which its leading lady did not sing.

84. “I may be on the devil's hit-list, but I'm on God's mailing list.”

85. This action movie pitted onetime Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson against onetime Secretary of State Alexander Haig.

86. “I just asked you to do one thing, to stay awake and watch me and to wake me up if it looked like I was having a bad dream, and what did you do, you sh*t? You fell asleep!”

87. Rolling Stone ranked the subject of this biopic third on its list of best stand-up comics of all time.

88. “What's your rush, doll-body? What do you say we slip in the back seat, and you make a man out of me?”
“What do you say I smack you around for a while?”
“Can’t we do both?”

89. Zero Mostel demanded director approval on this film, but it’s doubtful that he really expected to get any of his first three choices – Orson Welles, Charles Chaplin, and Jean Renoir.

90. “I want the last face you see in this world to be the face of love, so you look at me when they do this thing. I'll be the face of love for you.”

91. John Wayne turned down the lead in this movie, calling the script the most un-American thing he’d seen in his whole life, and later said he never regretted his role in running the screenwriter out of Hollywood.

92. “Hey, did you see the way he went SAILING right out there?”

93. This was Hitchcock’s only American film outside the genre he made his own.

94. “I'm a pretty excitable person. I mean, where does he come off calling me a public avenger, sadist and everything? Anyone in his right mind would blow his stack. He was just trying to bait me.”
“He did an excellent job.”

95. This masterpiece was based on the first novel to win the Pulitzer Prize by the first novelist to win the Pulitzer Prize twice. Got that?

96. “What you represent to them is freedom.”
“What the hell is wrong with freedom? That's what it's all about.”
“Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different thangs. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.”

97. The leading lady of this film claimed that the scene that traumatized her was not in the script; the director said that the scene was, but the butter wasn’t.

98. “This is when I know I'm helpless. My hands are down there on the bed. I can't put them on again without calling to somebody for help. I can't smoke a cigarette or read a book. If that door should blow shut, I can't open it and get out of this room. I'm as dependent as a baby that doesn't know how to get anything except to cry for it.”

99. Only twelve people ever saw the full 42-reel version of this film, which is now considered the Holy Grail of film archivists.

100. “I can't go all my life waiting to catch you between husbands.”

jarnon

Re: Game #215: Role Play

#2 Post by jarnon » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:27 am

Great! Let’s get started ...

2. “Every day I think about what you said to me that day on the bridge. I tried to live my life the best that I could. I hope that was enough. I hope that, at least in your eyes, I've earned what all of you have done for me.”
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

15. This notorious bomb shares its name with an ancient goddess of sexuality and war.
ISHTAR

TRUE LIES

THE PRINCESS DIARIES

40. “Are you suggesting, madam, that there exists a law compelling a gentleman to lay hold of canine bowel movements?”
KATE AND LEOPOLD

61. William H. Balgarnie of Leys School, Cambridge, was the inspiration for the main character of this movie.
GOODBYE MR. CHIPS
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Hotseat Or Bust!
Bored Hottie

#3 Post by Hotseat Or Bust! » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:50 am

16.) Places In The Heart, 34.) Mystic River, 52.) Ordinary People, 66.) And Justice For All, 90.) Dead Man Walking.

PanicinDetroit

#4 Post by PanicinDetroit » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:16 am

14. MY FAVORITE YEAR
23. WHEN HARRY MET SALLY

kroxquo

#5 Post by kroxquo » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:38 am

Saving Private Ryan

Gandhi

Ishtar?

19. When the decomposing body of the subject of this biopic was found by a hunter, it weighed only 67 pounds; the official cause of death was starvation.

Into the Wild

24. “I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of – ”
“What do you call this?”

This Is Spinal Tap

25. This big-BIG-budget musical was the first of only two films to feature a willowy actor who won Tony awards in four different categories.

Hello Dolly?

37. Though he himself was Jewish, studio chief Jack Warner ordered that the word “Jew” be banned from this Oscar-winning biopic so as not to hurt ticket sales in Nazi Germany.

Life of Emile Zola

49. The nonfiction book that inspired this movie was subtitled A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption.

Unbroken

51. This was the first non-American production to win the Oscar as Best Picture.

All Quiet on the Western Front

Ordinary People

53. It was the first movie in its genre to win the Oscar for Best Picture in 59 years.

Unforgiven

59. Three of the actresses in this film would later get back in the habit for The Sound of Music, The Flying Nun, and Sister Act.

The Trouble With Angels?

66. "You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order!"

And Justice For All

67. The Olympians in this film included an actor and actress who had previously worked together as the Moor of Venice and his bride.

Clash of the Titans

72. “We all have our limitations, Freddy. Fortunately, I discovered that taste and style were commodities that people desired. Freddy, what I am saying is: know your limitations. You are a moron.”

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

87. Rolling Stone ranked the subject of this biopic third on its list of best stand-up comics of all time.

Lenny

90. “I want the last face you see in this world to be the face of love, so you look at me when they do this thing. I'll be the face of love for you.”

Dead Man Walking

94. “I'm a pretty excitable person. I mean, where does he come off calling me a public avenger, sadist and everything? Anyone in his right mind would blow his stack. He was just trying to bait me.”

12 Angry Men

97. The leading lady of this film claimed that the scene that traumatized her was not in the script; the director said that the scene was, but the butter wasn’t.

Last Tango in Paris?

Gone With the Wind
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:03 pm

5. In the opinion of many people – including me – this British film was far superior to a film on the same topic that won the Oscar for Best Picture four decades later.

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:33 am

franktangredi wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:52 am

Identify the 100 movies in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 36 groups of three according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Eight movies will be used twice, each time in a different capacity.

That’s all there is to it. But beware of combinations that seem to work as singles or pairs but not as triples.

1. It was the first movie in a language other than English to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Picture.

Z????

I can hear Humphrey Bogart saying it, but I don't remember which movie it's from

A Night to Remember?

8. “We need to get off this merry-go-round sir. The next mistake our countries make could be the last one. We need to have the conversation our governments can't.”

Sounds like Hunt for Red October, but could be a bunch of others

Where's the Rest of Me?

“So is this, ma'am, but every now and then I have to run a little water through it.”

My Favorite Year

Ishtar

Cocaine Bear

23. A line from this movie was ranked #33 on the AFI list of greatest movie quotes, but the character who spoke it didn’t have a single other line in the movie.

Silent Movie?

California Split?

47. The young actor who made his film debut in this 1983 comedy was, at the same time, starring on Broadway in a highly successfully comedy by the movie’s screenwriter.

WarGames?

And Justice for All

Got to be Clash of the Titans, right?

Man on the Moon?

Last Tango in Paris

Gone with the Wind
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

a1mamacat

#8 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:36 pm

franktangredi wrote:

6. “If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'.”

Singing in the Rain.

44. “Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room?” Cat on a Hot Tin

100. “I can't go all my life waiting to catch you between husbands.” Gone with the Wind
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

kroxquo

#9 Post by kroxquo » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:45 am

This one was really bugging me so I did a deep dive

41. The three top-billed actors in this live action Disney movie all played murderers on Columbo.
ESCAPE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:14 am

kroxquo wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:45 am

ESCAPE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN
This was the one I was most waiting to be answered... and I'm surprised Dick Van Dyke wasn't among the trio.

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

kroxquo

#11 Post by kroxquo » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:34 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:14 am
kroxquo wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:45 am

ESCAPE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN
This was the one I was most waiting to be answered... and I'm surprised Dick Van Dyke wasn't among the trio.

lb13
Btw, the trio was Eddie Albert, Ray Milland, and Donald Pleasance

kroxquo

#12 Post by kroxquo » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:50 am

Too early for a consolidation?

Z?

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

3. People who appeared as themselves in this movie included the author of Tropic of Cancer, the founder of the ACLU, and the Toastmaster General of the United States.

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

GANDHI

THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER?

10. “We shall be friends. I have prayed many times for God to send me a friend. It’s very lonely here and it’s been a long time since any human being came into this hut. I shall look after you and you will comfort me. And now you must lie down and go to sleep. Yes. Yes. Now, you must sleep.”

WHERE'S THE REST OF ME

12. “Cigarette?”
“Smoking.”

13. John Gilbert stated that this was the only one of his movies that was worth making.

MY FAVORITE YEAR

ISHTAR

16. "Did you ever pick cotton? After an hour, the hulls start cuttin' your fingers. Then by noon both of your hands is bleedin'. And later on your fingers start to swell. And after a little more time, they ain't no feelin' in your hands whatsoever. And I ain't even speakin' about what it does to your knees and I ain't even talkin' about what it does to your back. Now, we can't do it. Now, get that through your head. Once and for all, we can't do it. Now, you best stop thinkin' about it before you end up killin' yourself!"

PLACES IN THE HEART

17. As noted in SSS’s last puzzle, this comedy had a sudden cast change when one of its stars made an unhealthy decision.

INTO THE WILD? COCAINE BEAR?

21. It was one of the most popular films of 1974, but the author of the novel it was based on complained that its right-wing message was exactly the opposite of what he intended.

22. “Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat - the same tightness a man gets when his baby takes his first step or his first baby shaves and makes his first sound as a man. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.”

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY? SILENT MOVIE?

“What do you call this?”

THIS IS SPINAL TAP

HELLO DOLLY?

TRUE LIES

27. If you want to see the Chairman of the Board as a Spanish guerrilla during the Napoleonic Wars, this will surely be your only chance.

28. “I find you attractive. Your aggressive moves toward me ... indicate that you feel the same way. But still, ritual requires that we continue with a number of platonic activities before we have sex. I am proceeding with these activities, but in point of actual fact, all I really want to do is have intercourse with you as soon as possible. Are you going to slap me now?”

29. The hero of this 1950 noir thriller is an officer of the U.S. Public Health Service. Really.

30. “After what we've just been through, any sane man would be screaming for a weapon.”

31. The director of this documentary was so stressed out by the director of the film he was documenting that he wrote in his diary, " I couldn't care less if they move the stupid ship – or finish the f**king film".

32. “You're here today so I can personally tell you that you are going to die in federal prison. And so are all your friends. No deal. No compromise. And when that day comes when you start trying to be my hero collaborator so hard that I have to slap you to shut up – and it will come, despite your pitiable, misguided, Irish Omertà – when your code of silence finally gives way to fear of trafficking in cigarettes to prevent sexual enslavement, I just want you to know that it's gonna be me who told you to go f**k yourself.”

33. The soundtrack of this biopic includes one of my all-time favorite pieces of music, the overture to Candide.

34. “And it's really starting to p*ss me off, Dave! She's my own little daughter, and I can't even cry for her!”

MYSTIC RIVER

35. This 1979 film about Mexican American street gangs in East L.A. has been selected for preservation by the National Film Registry.

36. “I go outta here every morning, I bust my butt 'cause I like you? You're about the biggest fool I ever saw. A man is supposed to take care of his family. You live in my house, feed your belly with my food, put your behind on my bed because you're my son. It's my duty to take care of you, I owe a responsibility to you, I ain't got to like you!”

LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA

THE PRINCESS DIARIES

39. This schlocky 1950s monster movie transfers the eighth plague of Exodus from Egypt to Chicago.

KATE & LEOPOLD

ESCAPE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN

42. “At your age, you're going to have a lot of urges. You're going to want to take off your clothes, and touch each other. But if you do touch each other, you will get chlamydia ... and die.”

43. This 1947 film noir is notable for its use of point-of-view camerawork, such as the hero’s face only being seen when he looks in a mirror.

44. “Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room?”

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF

CALIFORNIA SPLIT?

46. “Let us dream to the extent of saying that on a given Sunday night the time normally occupied by Ed Sullivan is given over to a clinical survey of the state of American education, and a week or two later the time normally used by Steve Allen is devoted to a thoroughgoing study of American policy in the Middle East.”

WAR GAMES?

48. “It's the same old story. Boy finds girl, boy loses girl, girl finds boy, boy forgets girl, boy remembers girl, girls dies in a tragic blimp accident over the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day.”

UNBROKEN

50. “Separate the men from the boys, Emma. I show some wear, I don't deny it. The fruit hangs on the tree long enough, it gets ripe. I'm durable, I'm steady and I'm faithful. And I'm in love for the last time in my life.”

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT

ORDINARY PEOPLE

UNFORGIVEN

54. “Maybe it's easy for the dying to be honest. I'm sick of you, sick of this house, sick of my unhappy life with you. I'm sick of your brothers and their dirty tricks to make a dime. There must be better ways of getting rich than building sweatshops and pounding the bones of the town to make dividends for you to spend. You'll wreck the town, you and your brothers. You'll wreck the country, you and your kind, if they let you. But not me, I'll die my own way, and I'll do it without making the world worse. I leave that to you.”

55. This infamous turkey was a pseudo-biography of Randy, Glenn, Felipe, David, Alex, and Ray.

56. “Lord save little children. The wind blows, and the rains are cold. Yet they abide.”

57. Released in 1912, this short film is often considered the first gangster movie and is also notable for its pioneering use of follow focus cinematography.

58. “I think if people see this footage, they'll say, ‘Oh, my God, that's horrible.’ And then they'll go on eating their dinners.”

THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS?

60. “Are you a vampire?”
“I live off blood. Yes.”
“Are you ... dead?”
“No. Can't you tell?”
“But ... are you old?”

GOODBYE MR. CHIPS

62. “You know, maybe we're - we're only good at brief encounters, walking around in European cities in warm climates.”

63. This adaptation of a minor Shaw comedy was originally set to star Harpo Marx in what would have been his only speaking role.

65. The earliest living winner of the Best Actress Oscar got her second nomination for playing the repressed title character of this film.

...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

CLASH OF THE TITANS

68. “The force behind a great company has to be more than the pride of one man; it has to be the pride of thousands. You can't make men work for money alone - you starve their souls when you try it, and you can starve a company to death the same way.”

69. Lion tamer Clyde Beatty and big game hunter Frank Buck appeared as themselves in this Abbott and Costello comedy.

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS

73. This was the first of two movies produced to commemorate the 500th anniversary of a historic real-life voyage.

“That's my answer, too.”

75. This movie features Ken’s most despicable character, but at least he got a girlfriend out of it.

76. “You know, 35 years ago, preparing for a concert meant playing ‘find the cobra’ with the hotel chambermaid.”

77. This movie featured Ruth Chatterton in a role that would later be played by Gladys George, Lana Turner, and Tuesday Weld.

78. “He's wrong, it don't take much strength to pull a trigger but try getting up every morning, day after day, and work for a living, let's see him try that, then we'll see who the real tough guy is. The working man is the tough guy, your father's the tough guy!”

79. This film – cast with actual Lombard peasants – won the Palme d’Or at Cannes and the Cesar Award for Best Foreign Film.

81. Nine cast members of this Hugh Grant comedy would later go on to appear on The Sopranos.

82. “Democracy shtunk!”
“Liberty shtunk!”
(“Liberty is odious.”)
"Freisprechen shtunk!"

83. This wartime romance was the first movie in which its leading lady did not sing.

85. This action movie pitted onetime Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson against onetime Secretary of State Alexander Haig.

86. “I just asked you to do one thing, to stay awake and watch me and to wake me up if it looked like I was having a bad dream, and what did you do, you sh*t? You fell asleep!”

LENNY? MAN ON THE MOON?

88. “What's your rush, doll-body? What do you say we slip in the back seat, and you make a man out of me?”
“Can’t we do both?”

89. Zero Mostel demanded director approval on this film, but it’s doubtful that he really expected to get any of his first three choices – Orson Welles, Charles Chaplin, and Jean Renoir.

DEAD MAN WALKING

91. John Wayne turned down the lead in this movie, calling the script the most un-American thing he’d seen in his whole life, and later said he never regretted his role in running the screenwriter out of Hollywood.

12 ANGRY MEN

95. This masterpiece was based on the first novel to win the Pulitzer Prize by the first novelist to win the Pulitzer Prize twice. Got that?

“Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different thangs. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.”

LAST TANGO IN PARIS

98. “This is when I know I'm helpless. My hands are down there on the bed. I can't put them on again without calling to somebody for help. I can't smoke a cigarette or read a book. If that door should blow shut, I can't open it and get out of this room. I'm as dependent as a baby that doesn't know how to get anything except to cry for it.”

99. Only twelve people ever saw the full 42-reel version of this film, which is now considered the Holy Grail of film archivists.

GONE WITH THE WIND

Hotseat Or Bust!
Bored Hottie

#13 Post by Hotseat Or Bust! » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:11 pm

47.) Max Dugan Returns, 81.) Mickey Blue Eyes.

franktangredi

#14 Post by franktangredi » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:34 pm

Three of the definite answers are wrong. In one case, the answer given is not the name of a movie.

Of the answers with question marks, three are right and three are wrong.

All of the answers with multiple possibilities include the right answer.
kroxquo wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:50 am
Too early for a consolidation?

Z?

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

GANDHI

THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER?

WHERE'S THE REST OF ME

12. “Cigarette?”
“Smoking.”

MY FAVORITE YEAR

ISHTAR

PLACES IN THE HEART

INTO THE WILD? COCAINE BEAR?

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY? SILENT MOVIE?

“What do you call this?”

THIS IS SPINAL TAP

HELLO DOLLY?

TRUE LIES

MYSTIC RIVER

LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA

THE PRINCESS DIARIES

KATE & LEOPOLD

ESCAPE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF

CALIFORNIA SPLIT?

WAR GAMES?

UNBROKEN

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT

ORDINARY PEOPLE

UNFORGIVEN

THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS?

60. “Are you a vampire?”
“I live off blood. Yes.”
“Are you ... dead?”
“No. Can't you tell?”
“But ... are you old?”

GOODBYE MR. CHIPS

...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

CLASH OF THE TITANS

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS

“That's my answer, too.”

82. “Democracy shtunk!”
“Liberty shtunk!”
(“Liberty is odious.”)
"Freisprechen shtunk!"

LENNY? MAN ON THE MOON?

“Can’t we do both?”

DEAD MAN WALKING

12 ANGRY MEN

LAST TANGO IN PARIS

GONE WITH THE WIND

Vandal
Director of Promos

#15 Post by Vandal » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:50 pm

GRAND ILLUSION

REDS

DEATH WISH

THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION

PANIC IN THE STREET

MAX DUGAN RETURNS

VILLAGE PEOPLE
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mrkelley23

#16 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:24 pm

4. I just remembered the Bogart movie for 4. It's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Fred C. Dobbs. Here I was thinking it was one of the more obscure ones.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#17 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:59 pm

11. is the right line, but not the title of a movie. The movie is KING'S ROW.

I like Into the Wild better than my answer of Cocaine Bear for 19., especially since the clue refers to a biopic. Didn't see that before.

And I think When Harry Met Sally is better than my answer of Silent Movie for 23.

mrkelley23

#18 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:01 pm

And Vandal correctly identified my mistake in 45. WarGames was not written by Neil Simon. It should be Max Dugan Returns, as he pointed out.

mrkelley23

#19 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:04 pm

But I think the correct title to 55. is CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#20 Post by Vandal » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:05 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:59 pm
11. is the right line, but not the title of a movie. The movie is KING'S ROW.

I like Into the Wild better than my answer of Cocaine Bear for 19., especially since the clue refers to a biopic. Didn't see that before.

And I think When Harry Met Sally is better than my answer of Silent Movie for 23.
WHEN HARRY MET SALLY is correct ("I'll have what she's having.")
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mrkelley23

#21 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:06 pm

48. is THE NAKED GUN

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:31 am

franktangredi wrote:
MR. AND MRS. SMITH
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#23 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:39 am

franktangredi wrote:
I think this is LADY IN THE LAKE, but it's a 1946 movie, not a 1947 film.

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:42 am

franktangredi wrote:
MURPHY'S ROMANCE

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:47 am

franktangredi wrote:
BEGINNING OF THE END