The Game Show Show

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

The Game Show Show

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 26, 2023 2:52 pm

I don't know if anyone is watching this, but I strongly recommend The Game Show Show, which is a documentary series on ABC on Wednesday night at 10 right now. You can also see earlier episodes on Hulu. It's got some amazing footage from the early days of TV and a lot of behind-the-scenes information. The most astonishing thing I saw was a 1956 clip from I've Got a Secret (where Mrs. SSS's uncle was a contestant) in which host Garry Moore helped an elderly gentleman out on stage. His secret was that he was the last surviving witness to Abraham Lincoln's assassination.

The first episode dealt with quiz shows, including the 50s scandals, Jeopardy, and Millionaire. They had footage of the Art Fleming version of Jeopardy, along with some of Alex Trebek's early shows. The second episode dealt with prize shows like Wheel of Fortune, Let's Make a Deal, and Price Is Right. Footage from the Bill Cullen and Monty Hall eras were shown, along with an explanation of how they started wearing bizarre costumes on Let's Make a Deal. They also had clips showing Vanna White as a contestant on Price Is Right (she didn't get on stage) and Meghan Markle as one of the women opening boxes on Deal or No Deal. The third episode covered reality competitions, including Survivor, Amazing Race, American Idol, The Voice, American Gladiators and Fear Factor. My favorite was a woman who won the daily version of The Gong Show (she combined juggling and singing) and still had her trophy as one of her prized possessions.

There's at least one more episode this week on dating shows like The Dating Game, The Newlywed Game, and The Bacheldor(ette).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com