George Santos charged by federal prosecuters

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

George Santos charged by federal prosecuters

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 09, 2023 5:05 pm

The charges have not been specified yet.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

Re: George Santos charged by federal prosecuters

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 10, 2023 8:42 am

Mr. Santos was charged with seven counts of wire fraud, three counts of money laundering, one count of theft of public funds, and two counts of making materially false statements to the House of Representatives.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 10, 2023 1:35 pm

'It's a witch hunt': Long Island liar George Santos says he won't resign and will run for re-election after pleading NOT GUILTY to 13 federal charges including money laundering and wire fraud: Was released on $500,000 bond
The indictment says he took $24,000 in unemployment benefits while working
He was pulling in $120,000 a year at the time
Allegedly took $25,000 from campaign donors and transferred to a personal account.

By WILLS ROBINSON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and GEOFF EARLE, DEPUTY U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

Republican Rep. George Santos got into a heated confrontation with reporters. He criticized the criminal cases against him after pleading not guilty to 13 federal charges for misleading donors and lying about his finances.

The Long Island liar was taken into custody in New York after he was indicted on a string of offenses, including money laundering, wire fraud, and making false statements during his campaign.

He appeared in court on Wednesday afternoon, pleaded not guilty, and was freed on bail in a pivotal moment in his career just four months after he was sworn in.

Reporters mobbed Santos when he left the court and called the charges against him a 'witch hunt'.

He also said he wouldn't resign, insisted he still plans to run for re-election and asked why the Department of Justice wasn't investigating President Joe Biden's family.

Prosecutors have accused him of using donor funds to buy designer clothes, pay off personal debts, and for applying for COVID unemployment benefits while running for Congress and making $125,000 a year.

'He used political contributions to line his pockets, unlawfully applied for unemployment benefits that should have gone to New Yorkers who had lost their jobs due to the pandemic and lied to the House of Representatives.

'My Office and law enforcement partners will continue to aggressively root out corruption and self-dealing from our community's public institutions and hold public officials accountable to the constituents who elected them.'

The charges related to unemployment benefits carry potential additional political sting since the benefits draw funds from the state whose voters sent him to Washington.

Prosecutors say he took those benefits while receiving income.

'At the height of the pandemic in 2020, George Santos allegedly applied for and received unemployment benefits while he was employed and running for Congress,' said D.A. Anne Donnelly.

'As charged in the indictment, the defendant's alleged behavior continued during his second run for Congress when he pocketed campaign contributions and used that money to pay down personal debts and buy designer clothing.'

Santos was pulling in $120,000 a year from his Florida-based investment firm at the time.

Santos' arraignment is set for Wednesday afternoon before U.S. Magistrate Judge Arlene R. Lindsay at the Alfonse D'Amato Federal Courthouse.

Pastor Fireball

#4 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri May 12, 2023 8:02 am

In a related story, Tom Suozzi--the congressman who left this district's seat for his failed gubernatorial run last year--is rumored to be trying to get his old seat back in next year's election. I'm sure that even the Nassau County GOP would love to see Suozzi kick Anthony DeVolder (or whatever the f**k his real name is) to the curb in a rematch of the 2020 election.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)