I realize we are supposed to ignore it,

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

I realize we are supposed to ignore it,

#1 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:06 pm

.. while I sincerely hope for a good outcome for all those impacted by the New Palestine derailment, I really, really hope no Bored buddies are in the area.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

Re: I realize we are supposed to ignore it,

#2 Post by BackInTex » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:40 pm

Don't you worry your pretty little head young woman. Mayor Pete arrived today and is figuring out who's ass to kick!

Of course it took President Trump visiting yesterday for the administration to realize they'd better at least pretend they care about these folks (at least as much as they do the Ukranians).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:53 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:40 pm
Of course it took President Trump visiting yesterday for the administration to realize they'd better at least pretend they care about these folks (at least as much as they do the Ukranians).
Considering that the Republican governor of Ohio has repeatedly turned down the offers of federal aid, I don't think you can complain too much about Biden not paying a visit.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:53 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Don't you worry your pretty little head young woman. Mayor Pete arrived today and is figuring out who's ass to kick!

When it comes to pretending to care about folks, no one can beat Trump.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:36 pm

BackInTex wrote:

No one's ignoring this. It's all over the news sites I regularly read.

You do realize, don't you, that it was Donny who repealed the Obama-era regulations requiring better train brakes that might have prevented this from happening.

Are you really one of those who thinks we should just sit on our hands and let Russia bulldoze Ukraine? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:20 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:36 pm
BackInTex wrote:

You do realize, don't you, that it was Donny who repealed the Obama-era regulations requiring better train brakes that might have prevented this from happening.

Are you really one of those who thinks we should just sit on our hands and let Russia bulldoze Ukraine? --Bob
I was referring to the usual town criers here ignoring anything that doesn't let them roll their tongues around Trump's name. I certainly don't think we should let Russia bulldoze Ukraine - any idea why Biden keeps refusing to send game-changing weaponry?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:54 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:20 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I was referring to the usual town criers here ignoring anything that doesn't let them roll their tongues around Trump's name. I certainly don't think we should let Russia bulldoze Ukraine - any idea why Biden keeps refusing to send game-changing weaponry?
The question was directed to BiT, but in answer to your question, why change the game when you're already winning? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:06 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:54 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

The question was directed to BiT, but in answer to your question, why change the game when you're already winning? --Bob
"Winning" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, wait, you still believe the laptop is "Russian disinformation" - don't you?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:10 pm

I think the main message was hopefully no bored peeps are there...
Well, then

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:31 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:10 pm
I think the main message was hopefully no bored peeps are there...
Exactly - there are so many that don't pop in here anymore, I've lost track of where a lot of them are...

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:46 pm

I will ignore all the whataboutism above and just take from the comments that everyone is fine with the 20 days it took for an administration representative to show up, and assume you all think that it is just a coincidence it was a day after Trump was there.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:15 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:46 pm
I will ignore all the whataboutism above and just take from the comments that everyone is fine with the 20 days it took for an administration representative to show up, and assume you all think that it is just a coincidence it was a day after Trump was there.
I'm pretty sure there were a ton of administrative representatives there from the outset. You know, the actual workers, analogous to people like ear or aj , who work for the federal government and actually get shit done on the ground. Well, maybe not so much aj, who works for the judicial branch.

Or did you mean high-level Administrative representative? --Bob

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:12 pm

:wink:
Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:15 pm
BackInTex wrote:
I'm pretty sure there were a ton of administrative representatives there from the outset. You know, the actual workers, analogous to people like ear or aj , who work for the federal government and actually get shit done on the ground. Well, maybe not so much aj, who works for the judicial branch.

Has anyone seen any of those administrative representatives actually drink the water they're telling residents is just fine?

mrkelley23

#14 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:19 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:12 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Has anyone seen any of those administrative representatives actually drink the water they're telling residents is just fine?
Nothing to see here, please move on.

I have noticed on my social media feeds that the Venn diagram of the people who said "don't wear a mask, it doesn't do any good" and those who say, "better get some water filters, the water is poisoned" appears to be a circle.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

tlynn78

#15 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:27 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:19 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I have noticed on my social media feeds that the Venn diagram of the people who said "don't wear a mask, it doesn't do any good" and those who say, "better get some water filters, the water is poisoned" appears to be a circle.
C'mon, man, nobody likes Venn diagrams like Kamala likes Venn diagrams.

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:11 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Not me, either I'm retired.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#17 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:02 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:27 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

C'mon, man, nobody likes Venn diagrams like Kamala likes Venn diagrams.
That is true lol. Gawd, I hope I'm not stealing from her.

I am genuinely curious about the title of this thread though. I have seen from multiple people dark insinuations that somehow the government is trying to hide the East Palestine accident from people. I get a lot of my daily news from the Washington Post, which certainly has a reputation as being liberal. There has been at least one article, and multiple opinion pieces, on the main landing page for the Post every day since the derailment happened. Can you explain further what you mean by "we are supposed to ignore it?" Is it just criticism of the feds for not making a bigger deal out of it earlier on?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:04 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Biden doesn't want to send out tanks or fighter jets for fear of provoking Russia to widen the war. It would also take three months or more to train Ukrainians to use them.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:05 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:06 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:54 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
"Winning" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, wait, you still believe the laptop is "Russian disinformation" - don't you?
The laptop is certainly disinformation; I don't know if the Russians created it.

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:09 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

No one from the Federal administration is saying the water is fine. It was Ohio's people who used the report that was created that said the water was good. Guess who created that report?
Spoiler
Norfolk Southern

Weyoun

#21 Post by Weyoun » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:03 pm

1) I am probably the closest here to the wreck. Thanks for asking. I think I’m OK.

2) if you did not want to make it a political post, you would’ve not titled it the way you would have.

3) I think it’s gotten plenty of media attention. In part because everyone insist, it’s not getting media attention. it’s certainly something we should not overlook, but it’s also a town to 3400 people. No one died from it (yet…)

4) with that said, it was inappropriate of Secretary Buttigieg to take so long to view the scene. He looks pretty terrible, having Donald Trump outmaneuvering him like that. If we expect Ted Cruz to hang around during an ice storm in a major power outage, then Mayor Pete should have his face front and center during this crisis, especially if he has any further political ambitions. Even that means that he does nothing other than appear on the camera, still an important signal that these voters also count

5) but with that said, Trump was his usual embarrassment, basically using a speech to call the town’s mayor fat.

6) the mayor is, in fact, incredibly fat

7) the fat mayor (not Pete) doesn’t look great here either. He was complaining that Biden was in the Ukraine on Presidents’ Day. I’m not sure why the present is supposed to be in the United States on Presidents’ Day, as opposed to just doing his job as a president. In fact, the fact that he wasn’t taking the day off is a credit to him.

8) and while the situation in East Palestine is serious, I do think the progress of the Ukrainian war is incredibly important, especially since Biden was supposed to be over there anyway to meet in a scheduled meeting with his NATO counterparts. More to the point, what happens in the Ukraine is actually more likely to affect my life than what happens in East Palestine.

9) The mayor has also more or less suggested that all of these Democrats aren’t welcome there anyway, so I’m not sure what he’s worried about

10) I am usually a fan of Mike DeWine, but I think he came off as a little inept here. He should’ve asked for federal aid a lot sooner. I do think he made the correct decision, however, to burn the spill as opposed to simply letting everything blow up.

11) I personally don’t like anything about the situation, and I think everyone in the town should be paid to move.

12) glad to see the hard right in this country support greater federal regulation of transportation, as well as environmental cleanup measures

Weyoun

#22 Post by Weyoun » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:10 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

In that area is pretty close to the fracking belt (there’s a nice cancer cluster in nearby Washington County).

I’m guessing that a lot of folks in the region think Joe Biden is un-American because he doesn’t wanna have fracking, but they’re totally freaking out about these other chemicals in the water table…

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:53 pm

Other than the fact Mayor Pete has been slow there is weirdness with Dewine
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.levern ... stine/amp/
Well, then

Bob Juch

#24 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:09 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:53 pm
Other than the fact Mayor Pete has been slow there is weirdness with Dewine
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.levern ... stine/amp/
The governor’s failure to act raises questions about his management of the crisis — and the influence of his close ties to Norfolk Southern’s Ohio lobbying firm, which just so happens to be at the center of what federal prosecutors have called “likely the largest bribery, money laundering scheme ever perpetrated against the people of the state of Ohio.”

Appa23

#25 Post by Appa23 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:32 am

earendel wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:11 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Not me, either I'm retired.
Essayons!