Russian TV is very excited about Такер Карлсон’s Nord Stream theory

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Russian TV is very excited about Такер Карлсон’s Nord Stream theory

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:42 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -fox-news/
If you are curious, here is how you transliterate “Tucker Carlson” into Russian: Такер Карлсон.

I know this because on Wednesday those characters appeared on Russian TV over and over again, as broadcasters blessed by authorities in that country eagerly embraced Carlson’s effort to pin the Nord Stream pipeline sabotage on President Biden’s administration.

If you are less dedicated to tracking rhetoric that might be embraced by Russian President Vladimir Putin, you may have missed Carlson’s riff on Tuesday. The Washington Post’s Aaron Blake walked through it in detail, but the short version is that Carlson suggested that damage to two underwater gas pipelines in Europe was possibly a function of U.S. saboteurs.

There’s no evidence of this, of course. Carlson leveraged statements from administration officials opposing the activation of the pipeline to suggest they had committed to destroying it. But the point, as usual, was to frame the actions of Biden and his aides as inherently dangerous for the American people — in this case because there would be a cascading effect after Russia retaliated.

You can see the appeal for the Russian state. First, that the damage to the pipelines — an action for which Russia is certainly a more-than-viable suspect, if not the preeminent one — would get pinned on its archenemy. And, second, that Russia is presented not as it is (weak, hobbled by Ukraine’s counteroffensive) but instead as it sees itself (an actor equivalent to the United States that can impose pain where and when it wishes). Again, Carlson’s intent was almost certainly centered more on impugning Biden than elevating Putin but, you know. Enemy of your enemy.
The webpage has video clips.

I forget, what do you call giving aid and comfort to the enemy?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Russian TV is very excited about Такер Карлсон’s Nord Stream theory

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:11 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:42 am
If you are curious, here is how you transliterate “Tucker Carlson” into Russian: Такер Карлсон.

I know this because on Wednesday those characters appeared on Russian TV over and over again, as broadcasters blessed by authorities in that country eagerly embraced Carlson’s effort to pin the Nord Stream pipeline sabotage on President Biden’s administration.

If you are less dedicated to tracking rhetoric that might be embraced by Russian President Vladimir Putin, you may have missed Carlson’s riff on Tuesday. The Washington Post’s Aaron Blake walked through it in detail, but the short version is that Carlson suggested that damage to two underwater gas pipelines in Europe was possibly a function of U.S. saboteurs.

There’s no evidence of this, of course. Carlson leveraged statements from administration officials opposing the activation of the pipeline to suggest they had committed to destroying it. But the point, as usual, was to frame the actions of Biden and his aides as inherently dangerous for the American people — in this case because there would be a cascading effect after Russia retaliated.

You can see the appeal for the Russian state. First, that the damage to the pipelines — an action for which Russia is certainly a more-than-viable suspect, if not the preeminent one — would get pinned on its archenemy. And, second, that Russia is presented not as it is (weak, hobbled by Ukraine’s counteroffensive) but instead as it sees itself (an actor equivalent to the United States that can impose pain where and when it wishes). Again, Carlson’s intent was almost certainly centered more on impugning Biden than elevating Putin but, you know. Enemy of your enemy.

Using free speech, no matter how despicable or evidence-free, isn't that. It's both our strength and our weakness, but it's who we are. And for the record, I think the strengths far outweigh the weaknesses. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:20 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:11 am
Bob Juch wrote:

Using free speech, no matter how despicable or evidence-free, isn't that. It's both our strength and our weakness, but it's who we are. And for the record, I think the strengths far outweigh the weaknesses. --Bob
If Charles Lindbergh had continued to make pro-Germany speeches after we entered WW2, he would have wound up in the clink. Carlson is exercising his right to free speech now, but if the shooting starts he'd better shut up.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:41 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:20 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

If Charles Lindbergh had continued to make pro-Germany speeches after we entered WW2, he would have wound up in the clink. Carlson is exercising his right to free speech now, but if the shooting starts he'd better shut up.
That would have been wrong. That's the same regime that decided Korematsu so you may be right it would have happened, but it would have been wrong. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:51 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:20 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

was to frame the actions of Biden and his aides as inherently dangerous for the American people
He is right in this case. Biden and his aides are dangerous.

But as opposed to what the media did with Trump? Are you serious? This is what the opposition media does these days. It is Fox vs Biden and NBC, CBS,ABC, CNN, PBS,...vs Trump.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:58 pm

BobJ>>>"but if the shooting starts he'd better shut up."<<<

Or what? Exactly? Boy, you and the other Bob sure talk tough for keyboard warriors who spend your talents on a slightly visited and very obscure internet message board.

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:55 pm

Spock wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:58 pm

Or what? Exactly? Boy, you and the other Bob sure talk tough for keyboard warriors who spend your talents on a slightly visited and very obscure internet message board.
Oh, I just remembered. I am sure the Ukrainian Foreign Legion is willing to accept tough-talking keyboard warriors. If nothing else, you could go to the region and help with humanitarian assistance. But you won't. Your activism and tough talking doesn't go beyond the keyboard.

Weyoun

#8 Post by Weyoun » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:59 pm

Spock wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:55 pm
Spock wrote:

Oh, I just remembered. I am sure the Ukrainian Foreign Legion is willing to accept tough-talking keyboard warriors. If nothing else, you could go to the region and help with humanitarian assistance. But you won't. Your activism and tough talking doesn't go beyond the keyboard.
This goes both ways. Putin just instituted the draft and some Russian men are fleeing. They need help murdering civilians. Maybe you can cash that check your mouth has been writing.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:19 pm

Spock wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:55 pm
Spock wrote:

I can't do anything physically, but am contributing monetarily.