In Honour of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Earl the Squirrel

In Honour of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

#1 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:55 pm

Let's show that we can have nice things and keep this respectful and germane to the subject line. If you feel you must post here, please try to show that you've had some home training...

I was really broken up when I heard of the Queen's passing and I'm not sure why. I'm Irish, dammit! (Although according to my DNA results I've also got some Glaswegian/Scouse/Geordie in there, so go figure...). I didn't tear up, but it made me sad. Maybe because there's always been a Queen of England in my lifetime and, even though intellectually I realized she was mortal I just never really considered that there would come a time when there wasn't.

I also lost my mother about a month beforehand, so perhaps I was predisposed to be a bit tender.

I suppose a lot could be said (and has been around the interwebs), the one thing I don't think anybody could deny is that she lived and gave her life for her country.

a1mamacat

Re: In Honour of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

#2 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:01 pm

I always wanted to be a princess, and hoped that the Queen would adopt me.

I did tear up when the announcement was formally made. She was, to me, the epitome of grace, dignity, and forbearance. I was very lucky to have been in the crowd during the 1994 Common Wealth game, held here in Victoria. James was just 2 months old, and I waved his little hand as the car went by.

My ancestry is 75% British and 25% Scot. My town is having a memorial service next Monday and I will done my fancy hat and say goodbye to fixture in my life.

Rest well, thou good and faithful servant.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:01 am

I really didn't follow or know much about the British Monarchy before watching Downton Abbey and The Crown. My father's side of the family emigrated from England pre-Revolutionary War. They were the poor brought over by John James Oglethorpe to found Georgia.

But after watch those series, especially The Crown, I have the utmost respect for Queen Elizabeth. She was the best of what the Monarchy had to offer.
Last edited by BackInTex on Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:48 am

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:01 am
I really didn't follow or know much about the British Monarchy before watching Downton Abbey and The Crown. My father's side of the family emigrated from England pre-Revolutionary War. They were the poor brought over by John Oglethorpe to found Georgia.

But after watch those series, especially The Crown, I have the utmost respect for Queen Elizabeth. She was the best of what the Monarchy had to offer.
My father is descended from four sons of Edward III, so I know much about the historical British monarchy.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Hotseat Or Bust!
Bored Hottie

#5 Post by Hotseat Or Bust! » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:51 am

I'm sorry for the loss of your mom, Fannie. xo.

Earl the Squirrel

#6 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:19 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:01 pm

I did tear up when the announcement was formally made. She was, to me, the epitome of grace, dignity, and forbearance. I was very lucky to have been in the crowd during the 1994 Common Wealth game, held here in Victoria. James was just 2 months old, and I waved his little hand as the car went by.

My ancestry is 75% British and 25% Scot. My town is having a memorial service next Monday and I will done my fancy hat and say goodbye to fixture in my life.

Funny you should say that about wanting to be adopted by the Queen. I think one of the first things that started my interest was a book I got as a gift when I was 10 or so called Her Majesty Grace Jones. It was set in the Depression and, when Grace finds out that she was born in British territory, she automatically assumes that means her father is George VI. Then she realizes that she is older than Elizabeth and Margaret Rose. OMG!! I loved that book (SPOILER ALERT: Her parents were on a trip to Canada when her mother went into labour), there was also a sequel. I'm sure they are out of print now, I wonder if I still have them? I bet my 9 year old niece would love them.

It was around the same time that Princess Anne got married. I don't know if they actually broadcast the whole ceremony or if my grandma was watching it on GMA or something, but I was transfixed. A real life princess, and I thought she was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Anne is still my favourite (I love Zara as well), I still think she's the best of all of them.

So here's a question you might know the answer to: Do they immediately trash all the cash in reserve and start printing and minting new stuff with Charles or go through their back stock first? Same question for CAN/AUS/NZ, etc.

a1mamacat

#7 Post by a1mamacat » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:19 am

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:19 pm
a1mamacat wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:01 pm

Funny you should say that about wanting to be adopted by the Queen. I think one of the first things that started my interest was a book I got as a gift when I was 10 or so called Her Majesty Grace Jones. It was set in the Depression and, when Grace finds out that she was born in British territory, she automatically assumes that means her father is George VI. Then she realizes that she is older than Elizabeth and Margaret Rose. OMG!! I loved that book (SPOILER ALERT: Her parents were on a trip to Canada when her mother went into labour), there was also a sequel. I'm sure they are out of print now, I wonder if I still have them? I bet my 9 year old niece would love them.

It was around the same time that Princess Anne got married. I don't know if they actually broadcast the whole ceremony or if my grandma was watching it on GMA or something, but I was transfixed. A real life princess, and I thought she was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Anne is still my favourite (I love Zara as well), I still think she's the best of all of them.

So here's a question you might know the answer to: Do they immediately trash all the cash in reserve and start printing and minting new stuff with Charles or go through their back stock first? Same question for CAN/AUS/NZ, etc.
They will start to arrange a new printing, but all legal tender stays good.

Only the $20.00 bill here, and some coins have her portrait, and they will still be legal tender. When King Charles has his official sitting, they will start to print the 20 with his profile, and do new casts for the coins.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:31 pm

Visiting the Detroit River Walk - over my shoulder, the Canadian flag at half staff. Condolences to Canadian BBs.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי