Loans

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Re: Loans

#51 Post by BackInTex » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:15 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:42 pm
earendel wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:09 pm

Not to be pedantic, but if you read the accounts of the feeding of the 5000, nowhere does it say that anyone had any food other than the "lad" with five loaves and two fish. It's hardly a miracle if, after Jesus takes the loaves and fish and blesses it, everyone opens up their picnic baskets.
This is what I was taught in Sunday School. Some in the multitude brought food, some didn't. SundaySchoolTeacher said that the miracle was that everybody who brought food shared. A very devout woman, SST believed that Jesus inspired that sort of behavior.
Are you saying that SST was denying the miracle of Jesus feeding the multitudes from only 5 loaves of bread and two fish? SST was comparing it to Woodstock? It is one of only two miracles told in all four Gospels. And reading all four, it is pretty clear that the only food there were the loaves and fishes the boy referenced in John had.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

tlynn78

#52 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:29 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:15 pm
SportsFan68 wrote:
earendel wrote:

Not to be pedantic, but if you read the accounts of the feeding of the 5000, nowhere does it say that anyone had any food other than the "lad" with five loaves and two fish. It's hardly a miracle if, after Jesus takes the loaves and fish and blesses it, everyone opens up their picnic baskets.
This is what I was taught in Sunday School. Some in the multitude brought food, some didn't. SundaySchoolTeacher said that the miracle was that everybody who brought food shared. A very devout woman, SST believed that Jesus inspired that sort of behavior.
Are you saying that SST was denying the miracle of Jesus feeding the multitudes from only 5 loaves of bread and two fish? SST was comparing it to Woodstock? It is one of only two miracles told in all four Gospels. And reading all four, it is pretty clear that the only food there were the loaves and fishes the boy referenced in John had.
Regardless, pretty sure Jesus didn't force those not attending to pay anything for the feeding of the 5000.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#53 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:46 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:29 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:15 pm
SportsFan68 wrote:

Regardless, pretty sure Jesus didn't force those not attending to pay anything for the feeding of the 5000.
He considered charging the Pharisees but settled on the Sadducees, but they avoided paying.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#54 Post by earendel » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:49 am

If we're going to bring the Bible into this debate, perhaps it might be a good idea to see what it says.

Deuteronomy 15:1 - Every seventh year you shall grant a remission of debts. 2 And this is the manner of the remission: every creditor shall remit the claim that is held against a neighbor, not exacting it, because the Lord’s remission has been proclaimed. 3 Of a foreigner you may exact it, but you must remit your claim on whatever any member of your community owes you.

Matthew 6:12 - And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. (Yes, I know some translations use "trespasses", but the Greek word refers to a monetary or other obligation).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

jarnon

#55 Post by jarnon » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:02 am

earendel wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:49 am
If we're going to bring the Bible into this debate, perhaps it might be a good idea to see what it says.

Deuteronomy 15:1 - Every seventh year you shall grant a remission of debts. 2 And this is the manner of the remission: every creditor shall remit the claim that is held against a neighbor, not exacting it, because the Lord’s remission has been proclaimed. 3 Of a foreigner you may exact it, but you must remit your claim on whatever any member of your community owes you.

Matthew 6:12 - And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. (Yes, I know some translations use "trespasses", but the Greek word refers to a monetary or other obligation).
Deuteronomy goes on to say:
Take care lest there be an unworthy thought in your heart and you say, "The seventh year, the year of release is near," and your eye look grudgingly on your poor brother, and you give him nothing, and he cry to the Lord against you, and you be guilty of sin.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#56 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:33 am

BackInTex wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:14 pm
SportsFan68 wrote:
earendel wrote:

She never said it wasn't a miracle.

The Woodstock comparison escapes me.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller