TFG takes the 5th

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

TFG takes the 5th

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:56 am

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/08/10 ... ation-news

The former president invoked his right against self-incrimination during a deposition that the New York attorney general’s office had hoped would be a turning point in a civil investigation into his business practices. It is one of several active investigations into Mr. Trump.

Ben Protess, Jonah E. Bromwich and William K. Rashbaum

Trump declines to answer questions in New York deposition, invoking his right against self-incrimination.
Donald J. Trump declined to answer questions from the New York state attorney general’s office on Wednesday, a surprising gamble in a high-stakes legal interview that is likely to determine the course of a civil investigation into his company’s business practices.

In a statement released shortly after the questioning began on Wednesday, Mr. Trump said he would invoke his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, explaining that he “declined to answer the questions under the rights and privileges afforded to every citizen under the United States Constitution.”

After the deposition began, two sources with knowledge of the matter confirmed that he was refusing to answer questions, citing the Fifth Amendment.

Since March 2019, Attorney General Letitia James’s office has investigated whether Mr. Trump and his company improperly inflated the value of his hotels, golf clubs and other assets. Mr. Trump has long dismissed the inquiry from Ms. James, a Democrat, as a partisan “witch hunt.”

In his statement on Wednesday, he cast it as part of a grander conspiracy against him, linking it to the F.B.I. search at Mar-a-Lago, his home and private club in Palm Beach, Fla., on Monday.

“I once asked, ‘If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?’” he said in the statement. “Now I know the answer to that question.” He said that being targeted by lawyers, prosecutors and the news media had left him with “no choice.”

But there are other reasons Mr. Trump may have decided not to answer questions. While Ms. James’s inquiry is civil, and she cannot file criminal charges against the former president, the Manhattan district attorney’s office has been conducting a parallel criminal investigation into whether Mr. Trump fraudulently inflated valuations of his properties. Any misstep from the former president in his deposition could have breathed new life into that inquiry.

Mr. Trump had not been expected to invoke his constitutional right against self-incrimination. He has long considered himself his best spokesman, and those who had questioned him in the past, as well as some of his own advisers, believed he was unlikely to stay quiet.

His decision could have a significant impact on any trial if Ms. James’s investigation leads to a lawsuit. Jurors in civil matters can draw a negative inference when a defendant invokes his or her Fifth Amendment privilege, unlike in criminal cases, where exercising the right against self-incrimination cannot be held against the defendant.

Staying silent could also hurt Mr. Trump politically at a time when he is hinting that he will join the 2024 presidential race; it could raise questions about what he might be trying to hide.

Mr. Trump has ridiculed witnesses for invoking their Fifth Amendment rights, once remarking at a rally that, “You see the mob takes the Fifth,” and, “If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”

But if he continues to decline questions throughout the day — as appears to be his plan — there is less chance that he will unwittingly aid the Manhattan district attorney’s investigation, which was nearing an indictment of the former president this year before losing momentum.

The district attorney, Alvin L. Bragg, had developed concerns about proving a case against Mr. Trump, but he has said that he is monitoring Ms. James’s investigation and planned to scrutinize Mr. Trump’s responses on Wednesday. The former president’s decision not to answer those questions may forestall new avenues in that investigation.

Mr. Trump is also contending with a litany of other inquiries. Along with the F.B.I. search at Mar-a-Lago, federal prosecutors are questioning witnesses about his involvement in efforts to reverse his election loss; a House select committee held a series of hearings tying him more closely to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol; and a district attorney in Georgia is investigating potential election interference on the part of Mr. Trump and his allies.

Aug. 10, 2022, 11:36 a.m. ET20 minutes ago
20 minutes ago
Benjamin Protess

Trump is no stranger to facing questions under oath, having once boasted that he has sat for “over 100″ depositions.” And until now, he rarely passes up an opportunity to answer questions — or spar with his questioners. He once told a lawyer that her questions were “very stupid.” And one of the lawyers who questioned him said Trump is, “completely fearless in a deposition.”
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

Re: TFG takes the 5th

#2 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:04 am

He's keeping the "I don't recall" in his back pocket.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:04 pm

The full on assault of trump is on.
Got to get it done before the dems lose the House and Senate. Damn the consequences, which is the democrat party way.

Yes, Virginia, this will backfire big time on the dems and their lapdogs.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:08 pm

Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:40 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:04 pm
Got to get it done before the dems lose the House and Senate. Damn the consequences, which is the democrat party way.

The total number of people out to get Trump is mind-boggling. Think of all of them who lied about him to the January 6 committee, and everyone in Georgia except for Flock. So many lying witnesses, so many corrupt Congressmen (and women like Liz Cheney), so many crooked judges. Even Jared and Ivanka are testifying against him.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:01 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:40 pm

The total number of people out to get Trump is mind-boggling. Think of all of them who lied about him to the January 6 committee, and everyone in Georgia except for Flock. So many lying witnesses, so many corrupt Congressmen (and women like Liz Cheney), so many crooked judges. Even Jared and Ivanka are testifying against him.
Letitia James should get the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:38 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:01 pm

At least the Biden Medal of Freedom. As meaningful as Obama's Nobel or Levine's Woman of the Year.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:43 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:38 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

At least the Biden Medal of Freedom. As meaningful as Obama's Nobel or Levine's Woman of the Year.
Now that's funny I don't care who yar.
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#9 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:16 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Is there a medal for blind partisan obsession? Or at least a trophy?

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:35 pm

Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:16 pm
Is there a medal for blind partisan obsession? Or at least a trophy?
If there were, your name would already be engraved on it.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:22 am

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

But more meaningful than Rush Limbaugh's or Miriam Adelson's.

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:06 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:22 am
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

But more meaningful than Rush Limbaugh's or Miriam Adelson's.
In your warped mind, perhaps. But that just provides support my comment. Obama did nothing prior to the prize and Levine is not a woman.

Left and right, Rush brought politics out of the backrooms of the elite and put it where it should be, out in the light and part of the discussion of the average American.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 am

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:06 am
Levine is not a woman.
Your bigotry knows no bounds. Adm. Levine has served this country with distinction for most of her adult life, but you insist on misgendering her. That treatment of someone who has served our country faithfully is truly deplorable. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#14 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:54 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 am
BackInTex wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:06 am
Levine is not a woman.
Your bigotry knows no bounds. Adm. Levine has served this country with distinction for most of her adult life, but you insist on misgendering her. That treatment of someone who has served our country faithfully is truly deplorable. --Bob
I'm not misgendering anyone. And recommending genital mutilation and/or dangerous unecessary drugs for children is not serving, but is with distinction.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#15 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:27 am

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:54 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 am
I'm not misgendering anyone. And recommending genital mutilation and/or dangerous unnecessary drugs for children is not serving, but is with distinction.
Dr. Levine was an outstanding health secretary in Pennsylvania during the pandemic, which led to her selection for her current position.

As far as I know, she has never advocated sex change surgery for minors, or hormone treatment against parents' wishes. This article describes her exchange with Dr. Rand Paul:

Fact check: Dr Rachel Levine, during hearing, did not confirm or deny support for children having gender reassignment surgery without parental consent

Dr. Levine transitioned ten years ago. The "Woman of the Year" award isn't an athletic competition; her former masculinity didn't give her any advantage, so why mention it?

I personally dislike using "Admiral" as a courtesy title. The military doesn't, and neither should PHS.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:45 pm

jarnon wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:27 am
Fact check: Dr Rachel Levine, during hearing, did not confirm or deny support for children having gender reassignment surgery without parental consent

Not answering a question that the answer should be a "yes" or "not" for anyone is not leadership and implies the person not answering has an opinion in oppositon to the person asking the question.

I'll ask you, you are O.K. with genital mutilation of minors WITH parental consent? Is anyone here O.K. with it?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#17 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:26 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:45 pm
jarnon wrote:
Not answering a question that the answer should be a "yes" or "not" for anyone is not leadership and implies the person not answering has an opinion in oppositon to the person asking the question.

I'll ask you, you are O.K. with genital mutilation of minors WITH parental consent? Is anyone here O.K. with it?
I'm not, and in Dr. Levine's long career as a doctor treating adolescents and a public official, there's no indication that she is either.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#18 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:32 pm

jarnon wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:26 pm
BackInTex wrote:
jarnon wrote:

I'm not, and in Dr. Levine's long career as a doctor treating adolescents and a public official, there's no indication that she is either.
I suspect you're aware of this, but I'm pretty sure BiT is equating gender reassignment surgery to genital mutilation. In the United States, such surgeries are not performed on minors. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#19 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:10 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:32 pm
jarnon wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I suspect you're aware of this, but I'm pretty sure BiT is equating gender reassignment surgery to genital mutilation. In the United States, such surgeries are not performed on minors. --Bob
Yet. And Levine’s refusal to answer the question indicates his position that he is not opposed to it.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#20 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:19 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

https://headlineusa.com/wash-state-perm ... l-consent/

I think it is also encouraged in Oregon. At least it was in 2015, and I doubt Oregon has changed that.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/gender-rea ... ent-342670

But of course, I'm wrong, as always. As will no doubt be pointed out by my stalker in some form or another. What will NOT happen is the above-average lawyer admitting they were wrong.

kroxquo

#21 Post by kroxquo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:29 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:10 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
Yet. And Levine’s refusal to answer the question indicates his position that he is not opposed to it.
"HER position" "SHE is not opposed"
Why can you not accept who and what she is? What harm would it cause you to allow her the dignity of living her life as she sees fit?
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

flockofseagulls104

#22 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:52 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:29 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Why can you not accept who and what she is? What harm would it cause you to allow her the dignity of living her life as she sees fit?
And the thing is, why is it YOUR prerogative to change the language? And castigate anyone who does not conform to YOUR ideas? What's next? Will you PURGE those who refer to people in third person by their birth sex? What harm would it cause to just do what you want and let others do what they see fit? How does referring to Levine on this bored, or anywhere else, by one pronoun or another, do anyone any harm? If Levine is reduced to being completely inconsolable by that, perhaps Levine is not the person for the job.
I am sure you have, as I have, been called a lot worse things directly than being referred to by my third-person pronouns. Just look at my signature.

Cut it out.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#23 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:10 pm

kroxquo wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BiT can't accept that because her bigotry won't allow her to acknowledge the harm her insistence on misgendering people is doing to fellow human beings. Or because she doesn't see her transgender brothers and sisters as fully human, and certainly not as deserving of human dignity. --Bob

kroxquo

#24 Post by kroxquo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 pm

Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:52 pm
kroxquo wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

And the thing is, why is it YOUR prerogative to change the language? And castigate anyone who does not conform to YOUR ideas? What's next? Will you PURGE those who refer to people in third person by their birth sex? What harm would it cause to just do what you want and let others do what they see fit? How does referring to Levine on this bored, or anywhere else, by one pronoun or another, do anyone any harm? If Levine is reduced to being completely inconsolable by that, perhaps Levine is not the person for the job.
I am sure you have, as I have, been called a lot worse things directly than being referred to by my third-person pronouns. Just look at my signature.

Cut it out.
I am not changing the language. Women are referred to as "she." Rachel Levine is a woman, so therefore she should be treated as such. To do otherwise is to demean her humanity and that is a harm to all people. I was brought up to respect people for who they are and I will call out intolerance and bigotry when I see it. To turn a blind eye to it is to passively accept it.

And you are right, I have been called much worse. That does not make it acceptable to continue to do so.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

BackInTex

#25 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:58 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 pm
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:52 pm
kroxquo wrote:

Cut it out.
I am not changing the language. Women are referred to as "she." Rachel Levine is a woman, so therefore she should be treated as such. To do otherwise is to demean her humanity and that is a harm to all people. I was brought up to respect people for who they are and I will call out intolerance and bigotry when I see it. To turn a blind eye to it is to passively accept it.

And you are right, I have been called much worse. That does not make it acceptable to continue to do so.
Rachel Levin is not a woman. He is a man who wants you and everyone else to treat him like a woman. I'm not demeaning his dignity, he has done that to himself. If he wants to dress in women's clothes, he is free to do so. And you are free to refer to him as "her" or "she" or "they" or whatever. This is not a pretend world and it is truly sad for our nation and culture that so many are cowtowing the obvious falsehoods to make yourselves feel better or to be part of something because something is missing in your lives, hell, I don't know. You're all batshit crazy as far as I'm concerned.

And Bobbie, you can refer to me as "she" but that just makes you the 13 year-old in the room. You are doing it out of spite, hate, whatever. I'm refering to males as "he" because that is what I believe is right. Not to hurt someone's feelings as you assume I am because that's what you'd do.
~~ Thomas Jefferson