Man who stormed Capitol with gun gets 87 months in prison

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Man who stormed Capitol with gun gets 87 months in prison

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:32 pm

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/26893167 ... -in-prison

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Texas man convicted of storming the U.S. Capitol with a holstered handgun, helmet and body armor was sentenced Monday to more than seven years in prison, the longest sentence imposed so far among hundreds of Capitol riot cases.

Prosecutors said Guy Reffitt told fellow members of the Texas Three Percenters militia group that he planned to drag House Speaker Nancy Pelosi out of the Capitol building by her ankles, “with her head hitting every step on the way down,” according to a court filing.

Reffitt’s prison sentence — seven years and three months — is two years more than the previous longest prison sentence for a Capitol riot defendant. But it’s less than half the length of the 15-year prison term requested by a federal prosecutor, who called Reffitt a domestic terrorist and said he wanted to physically remove and replace members of Congress.

MORE in linked article
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

Re: Man who stormed Capitol with gun gets 87 months in prison

#2 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:06 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:32 pm

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Texas man convicted of storming the U.S. Capitol with a holstered handgun, helmet and body armor was sentenced Monday to more than seven years in prison, the longest sentence imposed so far among hundreds of Capitol riot cases.

Prosecutors said Guy Reffitt told fellow members of the Texas Three Percenters militia group that he planned to drag House Speaker Nancy Pelosi out of the Capitol building by her ankles, “with her head hitting every step on the way down,” according to a court filing.

Reffitt’s prison sentence — seven years and three months — is two years more than the previous longest prison sentence for a Capitol riot defendant. But it’s less than half the length of the 15-year prison term requested by a federal prosecutor, who called Reffitt a domestic terrorist and said he wanted to physically remove and replace members of Congress.

MORE in linked article
That one should have got more.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:08 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

MORE in linked article
That would make him an armed insurrectionist, right? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:53 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:08 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

MORE in linked article
Hmmm, did we forget to mention he never even stepped inside the Capitol Building?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:48 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:53 pm
Hmmm, did we forget to mention he never even stepped inside the Capitol Building?
In most battles, the generals are far from the front lines, but they still give the orders.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:24 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:48 pm
In most battles, the generals are far from the front lines, but they still give the orders.
I'm not sure of your point, sss. The guy's clearly an armed insurrectionist even if the police guarding the Capitol did succeed, through the use of tear gas, in keeping him from actually entering the Capitol. He was armed and he attempted to enter the Capitol in order to interfere with the counting of electoral votes, by (among other intents) dragging the Speaker of the House down the Capitol steps, making sure that her head bounced on each step along the way. He's an insurrectionist whether his attempt succeeded or not.

Personally, I think he should also have been charged with attempted murder of a federal official. He clearly took at least one overt act in furtherance of his plan, which is all that's necessary to be guilty of an "attempt." --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kroxquo

#7 Post by kroxquo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:46 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:08 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

MORE in linked article
Your point being?
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:28 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:24 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:48 pm
I'm not sure of your point, sss. The guy's clearly an armed insurrectionist even if the police guarding the Capitol did succeed, through the use of tear gas, in keeping him from actually entering the Capitol. He was armed and he attempted to enter the Capitol in order to interfere with the counting of electoral votes, by (among other intents) dragging the Speaker of the House down the Capitol steps, making sure that her head bounced on each step along the way. He's an insurrectionist whether his attempt succeeded or not.

Personally, I think he should also have been charged with attempted murder of a federal official. He clearly took at least one overt act in furtherance of his plan, which is all that's necessary to be guilty of an "attempt." --Bob
I'm sure if he hadn't been pepper-sprayed n the face, he would have made it into the Capitol.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am

Reffitt's son, who turned his father in, says he fully agrees with the sentence handed down. He said his father was "used as a puppet" by Donald Trump. He added, "It is disgusting to see that someone with ... money and social power can just get away with manipulating thousands of people just for whatever reason, and have no outcome." Reffitt's daughters went further, saying that they think Trump deserves a life sentence as the leader of the insurrection.

Among the crimes Reffitt was convicted of was obstructing justice by threatening his son and daughter. Considering the number of threats that those who have testified before the January 6 committee have received, there could be similar charges filed against a number of high-ranking Trump officials.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Weyoun

#10 Post by Weyoun » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:10 pm

He’s look better hanging from a gallows - the traitor’s necktie.

jarnon

#11 Post by jarnon » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:05 am

Threats of violence are becoming commonplace.

Man pleads guilty to cyberstalking, threatening Okla. Rep. Kevin Hern
An Oklahoma man admitted Wednesday to cyberstalking Rep. Kevin Hern, R-Okla., and threatening Hern and his wife, federal prosecutors announced.
Eisenberger's guilty plea comes at a time of what law enforcement has called heightened concern over political violence.

A Seattle man was recently charged with felony stalking after allegedly yelling racial epithets outside the home of Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash.

Another man was arrested in June for allegedly threatening to kill Brett Kavanaugh while outside the Supreme Court justice's home.

And in Ohio on Thursday, a suspected "domestic violent extremist" was fatally shot after attempting to break into an FBI office there, leading to an hours-long standoff.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:16 am

jarnon wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:05 am
Threats of violence are becoming commonplace.

Man pleads guilty to cyberstalking, threatening Okla. Rep. Kevin Hern
An Oklahoma man admitted Wednesday to cyberstalking Rep. Kevin Hern, R-Okla., and threatening Hern and his wife, federal prosecutors announced.
Eisenberger's guilty plea comes at a time of what law enforcement has called heightened concern over political violence.

A Seattle man was recently charged with felony stalking after allegedly yelling racial epithets outside the home of Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash.

Another man was arrested in June for allegedly threatening to kill Brett Kavanaugh while outside the Supreme Court justice's home.

And in Ohio on Thursday, a suspected "domestic violent extremist" was fatally shot after attempting to break into an FBI office there, leading to an hours-long standoff.
And Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart is getting terroristic threats on social media.