Lent a Book to my Pastor

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Lent a Book to my Pastor

#1 Post by Spock » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:33 am

Pastor's wife told me this spring that he really likes WW2 books-so I lent him one of my favorite all-time books by my favorite (Bar None) author George MacDonald Fraser.

"Quartered Safe Out Here" is GMF's memoir of the war in Burma. Gave it to him last week and yesterday he said he is half-done and he is reading it slow because he wants to savor it. That made me happy because while GMF is a light writer-he is best when savored.

He said he really likes the writer and he is saving quotes and so forth that strike him in a word doc. My life will be full if GMF is mentioned in a sermon (LOL).

I can't lend any of the Flashman books by GMF to a pastor (too raunchy or risque or whatever), but I can lend him my favorite all-time read which are the Private McAuslan collection of short stories and maybe another book of his.

I think this pastor will get a kick out of the short story where GMF is Officer Commanding of a train making a run to Palestine from Cairo when the Jewish rebels were blowing up trains and so forth-circa 1946/1947.

I get a kick out of this one.

>>>>"In the meantime I wasn’t going to see much of the famous old city of Jerusalem; eating my scrambled eggs I wondered idly if some Roman centurion had once arrived here after a long trek by camel train, only to be told that he was taking the next caravan out because everyone was all steamed up and busy over the arrest of a preaching carpenter who had been causing trouble. It seemed very likely. If you ever get on the fringe of great events, which have a place in history, you can be sure history will soon lose it as far as you are concerned."<<<

Fraser, George MacDonald. The Complete McAuslan (p. 121). Skyhorse Publishing. Kindle Edition.