Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

#1 Post by Vandal » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:18 am

I recently started watching Season 1 and I think it’s outstanding. A few years back I checked out Discovery and didn’t make it through season 1 because it was so confusing. But SND is different with its linear plot lines and familiar characters (Spock, Uhura and Nurse Chapel to name three). The captain is Christopher Pike, who was referenced in the original series, played by Anson Mount. It takes place a decade before TOS, but this Enterprise is way ahead of its successor in technology, naturally.

The only issue I have with the production is that some of the accents are hard for me to understand, especially the African chief medical officer. I wish my TV had selective subtitles for some of the characters. Oh well, I blame it on my hearing aids!

I’m looking forward to the rest of season 1. Check it out if you haven’t yet.

BTW, I’m not a huge Trekker and I’ve not seen Picard or any of the other offshoots. Overload!
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:27 am

Vandal wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:18 am
I recently started watching Season 1 and I think it’s outstanding. A few years back I checked out Discovery and didn’t make it through season 1 because it was so confusing. But SND is different with its linear plot lines and familiar characters (Spock, Uhura and Nurse Chapel to name three). The captain is Christopher Pike, who was referenced in the original series, played by Anson Mount. It takes place a decade before TOS, but this Enterprise is way ahead of its successor in technology, naturally.

The only issue I have with the production is that some of the accents are hard for me to understand, especially the African chief medical officer. I wish my TV had selective subtitles for some of the characters. Oh well, I blame it on my hearing aids!

BTW, I’m not a huge Trekker and I’ve not seen Picard or any of the other offshoots. Overload!
The first pilot episode of the original Star Trek featured Jeffrey Hunter as Pike, Leonard Nimoy as Spock, and several of the same crew members that are in Strange New Worlds. That one didn't do so well and they did a second pilot with William Shatner and the rest of the cast of the original Star Trek. However, they worked that first Pike pilot episode in as part of a two-part episode on Star Trek.

In the second season of Discovery, Pike takes command temporarily of the Discovery, and Spock also puts in an appearance. One of the episodes involves a return to the planet where the original Star Trek pilot took place. At the end of the second season, Pike was back on the Enterprise and Discovery went 900 years into the future for the next two seasons. (That's well beyond the timeline of any of the other Star Trek series.)
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:36 pm

Vandal wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:18 am

I have finished watching Season 1 of Strange New Worlds. It is episodic, no big plot running through the entire season, but several character-based subplots. Pike knows what his ultimate fate is going to be, which is the backdrop to a few episodes, especially the last one. And, thank God, they are not obsessed with preaching and drowning the audience with wokeness in every character and episode like Discovery.

Capt. Kirk is introduced in the last episode, which is kind of a remake of the TOS episode where they first meet the Romulans.

B- rating overall.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

thguy65

#4 Post by thguy65 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:31 am

Even though my wife and son were in Santa Monica yesterday, I couldn't convince them to try to get free ice cream from the Wrath of Khan Ice Cream truck.
"Revenge is a dish best served cold."

- Tim H.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:41 am

The Wreath of Khan

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#6 Post by Vandal » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:36 am

Carol Kane joins Star Trek: Strange New Worlds in its second season

It was a little easy to forget with all the, you know, everything else going on today, but it is Star Trek Day (the anniversary of when the first episode aired, not to be confused with First Contact Day, which is a separate Star Trek day that has in-universe importance), and that means there should be some fun Star Trek news. Luckily, it doesn’t get much more fun than finding out that Carol Kane is going to join Star Trek: Strange New Worlds as a character named Chief Engineer Pelia in its second season.

The series takes place a few years before the original Star Trek series and stars Anson Mount as Christopher Pike, the captain of the USS Enterprise who immediately preceded James T. Kirk (who will be played by Paul Wesley from The Vampire Diaries in the show’s second season). That means it’s potentially important that Kane’s character is listed as the ship’s chief engineer, because the chief engineer at the time of the original series is Scotty (originally played by James Doohan), so something is going to happen to Carol Kane’s Pelia at some point… even if it’s just “she enjoys a quiet retirement back on Earth.” Then again, Star Wars kept introducing new people in its prequels without hurrying to offer much of an explanation for where they went, so maybe nobody will really care.

https://www.avclub.com/carol-kane-joins ... 1849514586
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:51 pm

Season 2 arrives June 15. Here is a preview of the new season:

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/st ... 2-review/#
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#8 Post by Vandal » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:46 am

Fun fact:

Ethan Peck is older than Leonard Nimoy was and is playing a younger Spock.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Weyoun

#9 Post by Weyoun » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:14 pm

It’s a very good show

I thought Disocvery was terrible

Vandal
Director of Promos

#10 Post by Vandal » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:46 am

‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ to Air on CBS This Fall

CBS is boldly bringing Star Trek back to broadcast TV.

The Paramount+ hit series Strange New Worlds is getting an airing on CBS in early fall as part of a “Star Trek Day” celebration.

CBS will air the show’s series premiere, “Strange New Worlds,” as well as the show’s second episode, “Children of the Comet,” giving broadcast viewers a chance to sample the streaming series.

Strange New Worlds recently finished airing its second season, which received a fair amount of acclaim from critics and viewers alike, and is considered to have helped breathe some new life into the TV franchise.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235573914/
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:06 pm

Very campy, not anywhere near as interesting as TNG, but watchable. Unlike Discovery, which is woke on steroids. I will never watch Discovery again, especially since they decided to make Stacey Abrams the President of Earth. I will omit any further comments since I don't want to be segregated into the Rude Assholes Forum.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Vandal
Director of Promos

#12 Post by Vandal » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:41 pm

I thought it was a solid second season. You can see the original characters slowing arriving, most recently Scotty. I’m sure we’ll see McCoy, Sulu and Chekhov in season 3. The singalong episode was surprisingly good. The non-singers got by and the trained singers , notably Celia Rose Gooding (Uhura) really shined.

Haven’t watched Discovery since S1.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#13 Post by Vandal » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:05 pm

‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ Renewed for Season 4

“Star Trek: Strange New Worlds,” currently in production on its third season, has been renewed by Paramount+ for Season 4. Meanwhile, “Star Trek: Lower Decks,” the first animated “Star Trek” comedy, will conclude its run on the streamer with its fifth season, which will debut in the fall.

“Strange New Worlds” — set in the years when Capt. Christopher Pike (Anson Mount) commanded the USS Enterprise, and featuring younger versions of several legacy characters, including Spock (Ethan Peck), Uhura (Celia Rose Gooding) and Kirk (Paul Wesley) — has been a fan favorite since it premiered on Paramount+ in 2022.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/star-t ... 235969332/

Note: Season 3 is set to arrive in 2025.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man