What Ya' Reading/Watching?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

What Ya' Reading/Watching?

#1 Post by Spock » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:55 am

Been awhile.

Watching:

"The Old Man"-Jeff Bridges plays a guy who did anti-Russia stuff in Afghanistan in the 80's and it is coming back to bite him today.

Reading:

Everybody knows about "Isonzo" which I chose to read because I have a whole corner of my library with a ton of unread books. If I continue to attack that corner-next will be a book on Napoleon's 1812 campaign in Russia.

OR: "Battle Cry" by Leon Uris is one of my favorite novels but I have never been able to get into any other Uris books. There are several Uris novels in that corner-I may choose one of those and give it a go.

Just finished: "The African Queen."

Just started "The Earth is All That Lasts" on Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse. Yeah, I need to read another book on that topic like I need another hole in the head. But, you like what you like.

I have a book on Chief Joseph in progress, but it has been set-aside for awhile so I have to restart it.

Kindles:

I have 2 going.

1) "Wild Places" on the odd corners of Great Britain.

2) "World Without Mind"-on the tech giants.

tlynn78

Re: What Ya' Reading/Watching?

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:57 pm

Have had next to zero time for reading or watching. That needs to change.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:36 pm

Spock wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:55 am
Battle Cry" by Leon Uris is one of my favorite novels but I have never been able to get into any other Uris books. There are several Uris novels in that corner-I may choose one of those and give it a go.
I think you'll like QB VII.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:30 pm

I just finished The Offer, the Paramount+ miniseries about the making of The Godfather. They play fast and loose with the facts, but there are a lot of great meta references and Easter eggs about film history. And the actors playing Brando and Pacino are great likenesses. Before that, I saw the last season of Peaky Blinders.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:37 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:30 pm
I just finished The Offer, the Paramount+ miniseries about the making of The Godfather. They play fast and loose with the facts, but there are a lot of great meta references and Easter eggs about film history. And the actors playing Brando and Pacino are great likenesses. Before that, I saw the last season of Peaky Blinders.
Yeah, I got Peaky Blinders on my list probably for next winter. My Sons of the Pioneers buddy Jim loves it.

I got part way through Ozark and got busy.

Big Sky might be watched next winter also.

Recent post at FP on the movie Heat might be of interest.

https://frontierpartisans.com/26389/bringing-the-heat/

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:01 am

Spock wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:37 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:30 pm
Yeah, I got Peaky Blinders on my list probably for next winter. My Sons of the Pioneers buddy Jim loves it.

I got part way through Ozark and got busy.

Big Sky might be watched next winter also.

Recent post at FP on the movie Heat might be of interest.

https://frontierpartisans.com/26389/bringing-the-heat/
Michael Mann has already been shopping his novel around as a prequel/sequel to his first film. That structure would be similar to Godfather Part II which was both a sequel and a prequel to the original film. Al Pacino has suggested Timothee Chalamet as the younger version of himself, which would be a good choice. Pacino is unlikely to play the older version of his character, and Val Kilmer can't play his character due to his physical condition.

Quentin Tarantino has also turned Once Upon a Time in Hollywood into a novel. It goes into a lot more depth recounting the backstory of the two main characters which wasn't mentioned in the film.

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:31 pm

Decided to start the book on Napoleon's 1812 Campaign in Russia for the most superficial reason possible.

The Isonzo book (reasonably thick) has a white book jacket and the endcap (or whatever) on the Napoleon book (Very thick) is also white.

These 2 books have been standing next to each other for years in that somewhat neglected corner of my library.

An awful lot of white space glaring at me for a long time just from those 2 books.

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:37 pm

Oh, and on the EBook front.

Started "The Season" by William Goldman which I have seen described as the best Broadway book.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:40 pm

The bookshelves at the fishing cabin are slim pickings if you want any enduring literature, but they've very rich in the books typically identified as suited for beach bags. It's mostly Stephanie Plum, some John Sandford, lots of Tony Hillerman, and one non-fiction slipped in because I've wanted to read it a long time and found it at the used bookstore, Friday Night Lights.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:52 pm

If you like beach reads Elin Hilderbrand Hotel Nantucket is great.
Got a referral from a great friend, Martin Walker Chief Bruno series, set in France. Lush descriptions, quaint stuff, then splat! Guts!
If you like Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache stuff it's similar.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:53 pm

I saw the Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime. It's pretty good, although very violent. This season was based on the first Reacher novel, which is set in rural Georgia, although the series was filmed in Toronto. The actor playing Reacher (Alan Ritchson) is a much better physical match for the role than Tom Cruise was. That's important in this series because people comment several times about Reacher's size. The series isn't all about Reacher bashing heads in. He's quite articulate and proves to be a pretty good detective and makes a number of good deductions along the way. Also, the filmmakers take care to make some of the fights competitive. It's not much of a spoiler to note that Reacher wins each time, one way or another, but he takes a beating a couple of times and barely comes out on top. He's definitely not a Superman on this show.

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:54 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:52 pm
If you like beach reads Elin Hilderbrand Hotel Nantucket is great.
Got a referral from a great friend, Martin Walker Chief Bruno series, set in France. Lush descriptions, quaint stuff, then splat! Guts!
If you like Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache stuff it's similar.
Oooh, sounds like my cuppa for my current mindset! Must check..
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#13 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:01 pm

Watched True Story, Netflix. Watching The Resort, Peacock. It's funny and murder twisty, etc.
Well, then