Short Film directed by my nephew

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Short Film directed by my nephew

#1 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:08 pm

My nephew Casey has never had any formal training but made this film as an entry for a contest. He directed it and co-wrote it.

He's always shown talent in many areas though never having the opportunity to be formally trained. He taught himself to play drums, keyboard, written songs, has a photography and videography business on the side, and now film making.

Casey is my sister's son and had a pretty difficult childhood with all her issues (and they continue as he almost didn't come to my son's wedding last week because my sister's new husband, #6, was coming). I managed to talk Caey into coming by promising I would have them sit as far apart as possible, and then her husband didn't show up anyway.
Casey Jackson wrote:Finished my short film entry "THE LAST GIFT" for the #gearfocusfilmcontest! It's always been a dream of mine to make films and I think this is a great start! Took two whole months to plan, shoot, and edit. Probably could have used two more months of tweaking things but the deadline for the contest is today😅 Thanks to all the amazing cast and crew, couldn't have done it without all of you!
If you have 10mins to spare, check out the short film and bonus behind the scenes video at the end and let me know what you think. Thanks!
The Last Gift
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

Re: Short Film directed by my nephew

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:40 pm

That was extremely well done! Do you say he's never had a filmmaking class?

I have a friend making films in Santa Fe. If he wants to move there, I can ask her to see if she could use him on her next project.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:02 am

Very well done, BiT.

Congratulations to your nephew and his crew. I was especially impressed with the transitions. They appeared quite professionally done without overdoing anything for "effect." You mentioned he didn't have any formal training. I'm curious where he did pick up his knowledge. You don't just get that from reading the instruction manual on a $1000 camera.
BackinTex wrote:he almost didn't come to my son's wedding last week
And talk about burying the lead. I don't think you mentioned your son's wedding before this. Congratulations on that as well.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:02 am

This was fabulous
Well, then

kroxquo

#5 Post by kroxquo » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:42 am

Outstanding. He has a great instinct for POV and pacing.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:19 am

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:08 pm
[H]e almost didn't come to my son's wedding last week . . . .
Congratulations on your son's wedding! I'm glad you were able to smooth things over enough that Casey came to the wedding. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

franktangredi

#7 Post by franktangredi » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:39 am

Well done! I know from experience how much goes into a 'simple' film like this. He certainly has a future.

Also, congratulations on your son's wedding.

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:09 pm

Thanks all for the kind words. I'll let Casey know. He'll appreciate it.

And yes, my son, my youngest was married on Father's Day. It was a beautiful wedding and a good time was had by all with the family strife averted. I have one un-wed child left. She says I have plenty of time to plan (and save).

Oh, and I'll be getting my 3rd grandchild (a 3rd granddaughter) this week.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jaybee

#9 Post by jaybee » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:03 pm

That was damn impressive!
Jaybee

Spock

#10 Post by Spock » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:45 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:09 pm
Thanks all for the kind words. I'll let Casey know. He'll appreciate it.

And yes, my son, my youngest was married on Father's Day. It was a beautiful wedding and a good time was had by all with the family strife averted. I have one un-wed child left. She says I have plenty of time to plan (and save).

Oh, and I'll be getting my 3rd grandchild (a 3rd granddaughter) this week.
Congrats on the wedding and grandkid situation.

I was reminded yesterday of the best part of having small kids. You could "Help" them gather candy at parades and it wasn't frowned upon if you "Helped" them take candy from other kids. Now with a 19, 20 and 24 YO (and not even present), I tend to get some dirty looks when I push the 4 YO's away from the good candy (LOL).

I made it clear to the Spocklette that that is the main reason I am looking forward to grandkids-the parade candy bonus.

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:40 pm

Very Nice. I want to see the full-length feature.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

mellytu74

#12 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:40 am

Congrats on your son's wedding.

And adding my praises to your nephew's film. Very well done and an impressive effort.