Trump Privately Called a Roe v. Wade Reversal ‘Bad’ for His Party

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Trump Privately Called a Roe v. Wade Reversal ‘Bad’ for His Party

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:35 am

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06/24 ... epublicans

The New York Times
By Maggie Haberman and Michael C. Bender

The man most responsible for shaping a United States Supreme Court that delivered the conservative movement a long-sought victory has spent weeks saying he didn’t think it will be good for his party.

Publicly, after a draft of the likely decision leaked in May, former President Donald J. Trump was remarkably tight-lipped for weeks about the possible decision, which the court ultimately handed down on Friday, ending federal abortion protections. But privately, Mr. Trump has told people repeatedly that he believes it will be “bad for Republicans.”

The decision, Mr. Trump has told friends and advisers, will anger suburban women, a group who helped tilt the 2020 presidential race to Joseph R. Biden Jr., and will lead to a backlash against Republicans in the November midterm elections.

In other conversations, Mr. Trump has told people that measures like the six-week abortion ban in Texas, which allows people to file lawsuits against those who enable abortions beyond that time-frame, are “so stupid,” according to a person with direct knowledge of the discussions. The Supreme Court let the measure stand in December 2021.

His advisers had encouraged Mr. Trump to keep quiet about the issue of abortion until a ruling was released, in part to ensure he was not accused of trying to influence the decision. Still, the contrast between Mr. Trump and conservatives who have heralded the decision and who worked in his administration, such as former Vice President Mike Pence, has been striking. On Friday morning, Mr. Pence issued a statement saying, “Life won,” as he called for abortion opponents to keep fighting “in every state in the land.”

A spokesman for Mr. Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment about his private remarks, or his view of the ruling. But in an interview that Fox News published after the decision on Friday, Mr. Trump, asked about his role, said, “God made the decision.” He said the decision was “following the Constitution, and giving rights back when they should have been given long ago.”

“I think, in the end, this is something that will work out for everybody,” Mr. Trump told Fox News.

By early afternoon on Friday, Mr. Trump put out a statement taking a victory lap, including applauding himself for sticking by his choice of nominees. All three of Mr. Trump’s appointees to the court were in the majority in the 6-to-3 ruling.

“Today’s decision, which is the biggest WIN for LIFE in a generation, along with other decisions that have been announced recently, were only made possible because I delivered everything as promised, including nominating and getting three highly respected and strong Constitutionalists confirmed to the United States Supreme Court,” Mr. Trump said.

Mr. Trump supported abortion rights for many years, although he said he abhorred the procedure. In 2011, preparing for a possible campaign, he reversed course and told a conservative political conference that he opposed abortion rights. And throughout his political career, he has privately called it a “tough issue” and publicly struggled to discuss it.

In an interview with The New York Times in May, Mr. Trump uttered an eyebrow-raising demurral in response to a question about the central role he had played in tipping the balance on the Supreme Court and paving the way for the reversal of Roe v. Wade.

“I never like to take credit for anything,” said Mr. Trump, who spent his career affixing his name to almost anything he could.

Pressed to describe his feelings about having helped assemble a court that was on the verge of erasing the ruling that protected abortion rights, Mr. Trump refused to engage the question and instead focused on the leak of the draft opinion in early May.

“I don’t know what the decision is,” he said. “We’ve been reading about something that was drawn months ago. Nobody knows what that decision is. A draft is a draft.”
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jaybee

Re: Trump Privately Called a Roe v. Wade Reversal ‘Bad’ for His Party

#2 Post by jaybee » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:00 am

I never like to take credit for anything,” said Mr. Trump

Now that there is funny, no matter who you voted for.
Jaybee

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:35 pm

Oh boy!
Another article about what Trump said by an anonymous source!
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:36 pm

Got to agree with the premise of the anonymous source making NYT headline news with an allegation.

It is all in all a negative for the repubs. It gives the dems one issue, among all their abysmal failures, around which they can rally people to vote for their miserable candidates.
It will take a shitload of more lies, exaggerations, demagoguing, and unsupported extrapolations to keep the outrage going, but that's their specialty.

But, it was the right thing to do, both constitutionally and morally.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:52 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:36 pm
It is all in all a negative for the repubs. It gives the dems one issue,
Republican involvement in January 6
Republican opposition to gun reform
Lack of any coherent Republican ideas on any major problems facing the country, other than railing about reckless spending (after Trump rang up four years of increasing deficits without a peep from Republicans).

Democrats have lots to run on.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:05 pm

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:35 pm
Oh boy!
There are multiple sources.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#7 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:17 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:05 pm
Oh boy!
Multiple anonymous sources.Willing to betray private confidence but too cowardly to attach their names to the act.
I don't care if they are right or not.
I care that journalism has degenerated to this, and that they are never called out on it.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:44 am

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:17 am
Multiple anonymous sources.Willing to betray private confidence but too cowardly to attach their names to the act.
I don't care if they are right or not. I care that journalism has degenerated to this, and that they are never called out on it.
Deep Throat was an anonymous source for decades until Mark Felt outed himself. Nobody called Woodward and Bernstein out on that or complained about how journalism had degenerated. I take that back. Nixon complained. Usually, the ones who complain are the ones who have gotten caught.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:26 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Oh boy!
You've posted two from the NY Times. Most people wouldn't consider that as "multiple sources."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:11 am

Estonut wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:26 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Oh boy!
You've posted two from the NY Times. Most people wouldn't consider that as "multiple sources."
The sources were TO the NYT.

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:02 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:11 am
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Who the fuck are the sources? And, if we are to take them at their 'word', it would be nice to know what axes do they have to grind?
We already know the axes the NYT has been grinding for years, if not decades.

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:08 pm

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:02 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Who the fuck are the sources? And, if we are to take them at their 'word', it would be nice to know what axes do they have to grind?
What if I told you the New York Post reported the same thing?

flockofseagulls104

#13 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:49 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:08 pm
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:02 am
Bob Juch wrote:

What if I told you the New York Post reported the same thing?
My belief that it is deceptive, shoddy journalism holds no matter who publishes it. Now go and find all the other myriad giants of the mainstream meida who have dutifully reported, probably word for word, the NYT story without doing one bit of follow-up or verification investigation of their own. That is how it works these days. It's like a mainstream gossip mill on steroids.