Another Look at the media

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kroxquo

Another Look at the media

#1 Post by kroxquo » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:48 am

Headlines on today's websites:

CNN - "Cascade of Consequences"
WaPo - "Justices go against public opinion on abortion, guns"
NPR - "The U.S. Supreme Court ends the right to abortion that had been upheld for decades"
BBC - "US abortion clinics begin closing after landmark ruling"
Newsmax - "Rep. Maxine Waters Warns: 'The Hell With the Supreme Court — We Will Defy Them'"
Fox - "Unrest sweeps America after landmark SCOTUS decision overturns Roe v. Wade"

Make of that what you will.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

silverscreenselect

Re: Another Look at the media

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:25 am

kroxquo wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:48 am
Headlines on today's websites:

CNN - "Cascade of Consequences"
WaPo - "Justices go against public opinion on abortion, guns"
NPR - "The U.S. Supreme Court ends the right to abortion that had been upheld for decades"
BBC - "US abortion clinics begin closing after landmark ruling"
Newsmax - "Rep. Maxine Waters Warns: 'The Hell With the Supreme Court — We Will Defy Them'"
Fox - "Unrest sweeps America after landmark SCOTUS decision overturns Roe v. Wade"

Make of that what you will.
Fox News really, really, really wanted there to be a lot of "Roe Rage" as they dubbed it, but the most extreme violent event they could find was an instance of burning the American flag and another of burning the opinion in the Dobbs decision. The Dobbs "fire" was so small that photographers had to get a foot away from it to get a good picture. You'd have been hard-pressed to roast a single marshmallow there.

What Fox got stuck showing was lots of people marching, carrying signs, chanting, and protesting. Some of it was frankly rather silly with people dressed up as Lady Liberty or the Scales of Justice. The police who showed up in case of trouble earned a lot of hazardous duty pay for nothing.

What Democrats are already doing is using this decision to channel the anger where it matters, at the ballot box in November.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

Re: Another Look at the media

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:00 am

I take my previous answer back somewhat. There was some violence last night; it just didn't get reported on Fox News. From Cedar Rapids, IA:

Protester hit by truck during Cedar Rapids protest
Cedar Rapids Police confirm one person got injured after getting hit by a truck during a downtown protest in Cedar Rapids on Friday evening. Cedar Rapids Police say protesters were trying to cross the street in the area of 8th Ave. and 2nd St. SE near the courthouse. Protesters were rallying in front of the courthouse to support abortion access and reproductive freedom. Indivisible Iowa and Planned Parenthood Advocates of Iowa organized the rally in response to the United States Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Verbal confrontations started between protesters and truck driver, leading to a pedestrian getting hit. "As we were getting this quite large crowd across the legal pedestrian crosswalk, somebody in a large truck decided to jump the line that they were in, and essentially plow into the rest of the pedestrians that were walking," Cedar Rapids City Councilmember Ashley Vanorny said. Vanorny was walking with the group and said they were in the process of getting the last members of the crowd across the street. She was walking with some young children just 10 feet in front of where it happened.

"I don't have any information that they were doing this because of anything regarding our protests today or March throughout town. They just seem to be impatient and had, in my opinion, blatant disregard for human life, because if you're seeing half a dozen people in a crosswalk, some of them young children," she said. "The fact that they pushed into somebody knowing that that was a human being, and then push them again, and then decided just to keep going and speed up as people are trying to stop this car. That was assaulting people and running into persons in the crosswalk."

Several photos and videos of the incident are circulating online. "Cedar Rapids is a city with a diverse population and many viewpoints. Today's Supreme Court decision is likely to elicit strong opinions. What we must do as a city is come together, especially in times like these," Mayor Tiffany O'Donnell said. "The Cedar Rapids Police Department is conducting a thorough investigation into tonight's incident. We all have a right to our opinions, but we must act in a peaceful and respectful manner."

Police say the victim's injuries were minor. Vanorny said the driver ran over the victims foot. The victim was interviewed by CRPD and taken by private vehicle to a local hospital for evaluation. "I'm glad nobody was hurt further, but I think that the trauma of what happened tonight knowing that somebody could do this and they just don't care that people are right in front of you, I think, is gonna stay with people for quite some time," Vanorny said.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com