2022 Lyrically Speaking Summer Challenge Rules

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

2022 Lyrically Speaking Summer Challenge Rules

#1 Post by Vandal » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 pm

2022 Lyrically Speaking Summer Challenge Rules (some text below stolen from LB's old rules):

The game will be four weeks long, running from Monday, June 27 through Friday, July 22, 2022. Games will be posted each weekday (typically late night), and will officially close when I post the answers the following morning (Monday morning for Friday games). Note: I will be on vacation during the fourth week of LS 2022 and I'll try my best to keep up. We may have to delay the last week if I can't work it out.

The usual scoring applies: 1 point for each correct title, 1 point for each correct artist.

Don't cheat. You already know this. No outside sources are allowed, including other posts.

Please post your answers using the spoiler. You all know how to make it happen by now.

Bonuses:

Kroxquo Bonus
- Name another song with artist that fits the theme of that day's game (or whatever I ask for), and receive two points (or whatever I promise). You can NOT reuse an artist that you identified in that game. You CAN reuse theme elements you've identified in the game unless I specifically state otherwise.

Image Bonus - I'll ask you to find an image from somewhere off the internet that in some way relates to the theme of the game, or whatever I may ask for. You get 5 points for finding an appropriate image.

That's it for bonuses. No JJ Cale or attendance or Shithouse Rats or Annie Bonus. That's LB's proprietary stuff and I don't want to touch it. There will be more than enough points to go around.

General note: My song list is WAY skewed into the 60s, 70s and 80s and some 90s due to past listening habits. I am not up on the latest recording artists, so there will be very few songs from this century. I'm an old, retired dude, and that's how I roll.

Issues: There is a very good chance that I will make a scoring error (or several), so please address these at the end of a thread and I'll make the necessary changes.

Weekly themes:

Merryman Monday
- Each Monday a different merryman will host. Not a new concept, but one that should be fun.

TBone Tuesday - These are songs that any up and coming guitarist/band member in the 70s and 80s (like our friend, TBone) would have had to learn. Plus, there may be some some action from the old Boneys files.

Everything else will be a hodgepodge of themes and word play and whatever else I throw together.

It's Lyrically Speaking. You know how to do this!!

Oh, and, as always, HAVE FUN!

See you Monday!
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

franktangredi

Re: 2022 Lyrically Speaking Summer Challenge Rules

#2 Post by franktangredi » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 am

BLESS YOU!

Vandal
Director of Promos

#3 Post by Vandal » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:28 am

Rules update:

I forgot to mention that certain games will also have a Timeline Bonus in which you must match the correct lyrics/song/artist with the year it was released.

Still working on the Frank Zappa bonus, so stay tuned.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:46 pm

Vandal wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 pm
2022 Lyrically Speaking Summer Challenge Rules (some text below stolen from LB's old rules):

Games will be posted each weekday (typically late night), and will officially close when I post the answers the following morning[/b]
When you say "the following morining" you mean the morning following the first mostly full day of a game's post, or by "late night" you mean the night before a game's day? If I read that as a defense attorney it means you would post the game at 10:00 PM or 11:00 PM and close the game and score it by noon the next day.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:51 pm

Would you mind if I played only occasionally and just for fun - you would NOT need to score me. I'll be on the road for a chunk of the time, and otherwise unable to play regularly. If you'd rather not bother with "amateurs" that's fine, just let me know.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:01 pm

I shall attempt shithouse rat status regardless. That way Sprots will fer sure beat me.
Well, then

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:35 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:46 pm
Vandal wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 pm

Games will be posted each weekday (typically late night), and will officially close when I post the answers the following morning[/b]
When you say "the following morining" you mean the morning following the first mostly full day of a game's post, or by "late night" you mean the night before a game's day? If I read that as a defense attorney it means you would post the game at 10:00 PM or 11:00 PM and close the game and score it by noon the next day.
I shall attempt to clarify.

Each Lyrically Speaking game shall be posted the night before or morning of its scheduled day and shall remain open until all players have had a chance to play and the meister has had sufficient time to score said game. This allotment of time shall be at least 24 hours postliminary of the morning of the aforementioned day and the game shall be considered terminated upon posting of answers and points therein.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#8 Post by Vandal » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:51 pm
Would you mind if I played only occasionally and just for fun - you would NOT need to score me. I'll be on the road for a chunk of the time, and otherwise unable to play regularly. If you'd rather not bother with "amateurs" that's fine, just let me know.
I would not mind. Play when you can.

We are all amateurs.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:31 pm

Vandal wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 pm
tlynn78 wrote:

We are all amateurs.

Kewl, sounds fun. I mean it about not scoring me, it'll save you work and me a measure of humiliation.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#10 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:53 am

Not that I think my #14 spot is in any jeopardy, but I may not be able to play the last week of the Challenge. We leave for Alaska on July 18. I'll try to get to Safeway or similar WiFi every day -- depends on the weather, fish biting, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance, Meister!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:59 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:31 pm
Vandal wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

We are all amateurs.

Kewl, sounds fun. I mean it about not scoring me, it'll save you work and me a measure of humiliation.
What makes YOU exempt from humiliation?
Well, then

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:52 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:59 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Vandal wrote:

We are all amateurs.

I'm special.

flockofseagulls104

#13 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:09 pm

Hmmm if it's in the 60s or 70s I might even get a few right answers.

I might try it.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Vandal
Director of Promos

#14 Post by Vandal » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:01 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:59 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Vandal wrote:

We are all amateurs.

Worry not, there will be plenty of humiliation to go around.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

mellytu74

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:10 am

TBone Tuesday - These are songs that any up and coming guitarist/band member in the 70s and 80s (like our friend, TBone) would have had to learn. Plus, there may be some some action from the old Boneys files.
This makes me very happy.