Knocked Off a Least 5-Visited County Today

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Knocked Off a Least 5-Visited County Today

#1 Post by Spock » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:42 pm

Cavalier County, ND. Tied for 5th least visited.

https://www.mob-rule.com/home

In a list on the left side as you scroll down.

For Father's Day-I wanted to visit a natural formation that I had never seen. The Pembina Gorge (Mountains/Hills whatever) in extreme northeast North Dakota. The trip included Mrs. Spock and the Spocklette.

https://www.ndtourism.com/walhalla/attr ... bina-gorge

At one point-as we approached the Gorge from the east-it was kind of cool, because we wanted to get as close to the Canadian border as we could and we drove for several miles on a gravel road that ran parallel to the border and a half mile south of it. So we could see Manitoba which the Spocklette thought was cool because she has no memory of her only time in Canada.

Oddly enough, we must have been picked up by a Canadian cell-phone tower as we all got a message "Welcome to Canada-you are not subject to roaming charges-etc etc."

So, even though we didn't cross the border-the TPTB will think we did._LOL-Anything to f__K with the algorithms.

Our turn around point was 325 miles northwest from home (in Cavalier County) and I don't think I picked up any other new counties. There are a small handful just west of Cavalier County that I have never been to yet.

Also, oddly enough-this was my first direct experience with gas price sticker shock as it cost me $100 to fill the tank at one point.

By way of explanation, we have a large gas tank at the farm and everybody just fills out of that and we pay the bill monthly. Doesn't hurt as bad that way.

jaybee

Re: Knocked Off a Least 5-Visited County Today

#2 Post by jaybee » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:08 am

Cavalier County, ND. Tied for 5th least visited.

https://www.mob-rule.com/home

In a list on the left side as you scroll down.

For Father's Day-I wanted to visit a natural formation that I had never seen. The Pembina Gorge (Mountains/Hills whatever) in extreme northeast North Dakota. The trip included Mrs. Spock and the Spocklette.

https://www.ndtourism.com/walhalla/attr ... bina-gorge

At one point-as we approached the Gorge from the east-it was kind of cool, because we wanted to get as close to the Canadian border as we could and we drove for several miles on a gravel road that ran parallel to the border and a half mile south of it. So we could see Manitoba which the Spocklette thought was cool because she has no memory of her only time in Canada.

I think this is just awesome! A simple yet unusual Fathers day activity.

Oddly enough, we must have been picked up by a Canadian cell-phone tower as we all got a message "Welcome to Canada-you are not subject to roaming charges-etc etc."

So, even though we didn't cross the border-the TPTB will think we did._LOL-Anything to f__K with the algorithms.

So, cell phone records can show Americans traveling in this area are crossing into Canada. I wonder if any of those phantom American travelers are stuffing Canadian ballot boxes? Don't we have a thread on here somewhere dealing with something similar to that? :D

Our turn around point was 325 miles northwest from home (in Cavalier County) and I don't think I picked up any other new counties. There are a small handful just west of Cavalier County that I have never been to yet.

Also, oddly enough-this was my first direct experience with gas price sticker shock as it cost me $100 to fill the tank at one point.

By way of explanation, we have a large gas tank at the farm and everybody just fills out of that and we pay the bill monthly. Doesn't hurt as bad that way.

My last fill up was $116. At least I wasn't that poor sap who was at the pump before me - it was reading $284. Curious if you are a semi-regular customer for your farm tank. Do you get any kind of price break compared to current prices at the pump?
Jaybee

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:53 am

Jaybee>>>"My last fill up was $116. At least I wasn't that poor sap who was at the pump before me - it was reading $284. Curious if you are a semi-regular customer for your farm tank. Do you get any kind of price break compared to current prices at the pump?"<<<

To my knowledge, surprisingly we might even be paying a little higher price per gallon than we would at the pump. It has been several years since I checked but at that time it was about a nickel higher than in town.

The tank deal is why I seldom know what gas is selling for-paying more attention now of course with it starting to hurt a little.

The pump has a sensor on it that tells the fuel company how much is in it-so refills are on an as needed basis.

Also, to my knowledge, the gas used is billed by the daily amount-ie if 22 gallons are used on Tuesday (per the sensor)-those gallons are billed at Tuesday's daily rate.

jaybee

#4 Post by jaybee » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:40 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:53 am

The pump has a sensor on it that tells the fuel company how much is in it-so refills are on an as needed basis.

Also, to my knowledge, the gas used is billed by the daily amount-ie if 22 gallons are used on Tuesday (per the sensor)-those gallons are billed at Tuesday's daily rate.
Interesting. I knew they did that with regular service stations but am surprised to see that a likely low volume farm tank is also charged on an as-used basis. Back in ancient times, I ran a marina. We had two tanks totaling 3,500 gallons. But we were charged at delivery and set our price accordingly. If prices were heading up (or down) we'd often be a week or more behind the auto places.
Jaybee

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:28 pm

jaybee wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:40 pm
Spock wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:53 am

Interesting. I knew they did that with regular service stations but am surprised to see that a likely low volume farm tank is also charged on an as-used basis. Back in ancient times, I ran a marina. We had two tanks totaling 3,500 gallons. But we were charged at delivery and set our price accordingly. If prices were heading up (or down) we'd often be a week or more behind the auto places.
A couple of years ago-we were running our diesel tanks (higher volume than our gas) through the same company with daily average prices and such. For various reasons, we switched diesel companies and now do a more conventional purchase and use model.

The last couple of years we purchased full semis of fuel (about 8,000 galloons) but this year, with the higher prices we only bought about 2,000 gallons at a time.