Be Prepared for Bad News Out of Ukraine

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Be Prepared for Bad News Out of Ukraine

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:48 am

I have been wondering about stuff like this as we have basically only heard Ukrainian propaganda-but the narrative is starting to shift hard that things are not going well for Ukraine.

Just warning those here that might be big Ukraine partisans to be prepared for bad news.

Last night, on NPR a story which I found through channel scanning-they were talking about the war turning against Ukraine.

Plus this recent report.

https://news.yahoo.com/intelligence-rep ... 36886.html

Oh, and BTW-A major theme of the NPR reporting was that we really only hear Ukrainian propaganda-so it is not just me saying that.

silverscreenselect

Re: Be Prepared for Bad News Out of Ukraine

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:12 am

Spock wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:48 am
Oh, and BTW-A major theme of the NPR reporting was that we really only hear Ukrainian propaganda-so it is not just me saying that.
There have been doom-and-gloom reports coming out of Ukraine since day one, and almost every day CNN has reported on the big new Russian offensives. The fact is that almost no territory has changed hands in a couple of weeks now. The Ukrainians are pushing the West to get as much weaponry as they can, so your point is actually 180 degrees off. Releasing reports about how great the war is going aren't going to lead to more arms shipments.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:46 am

Ukraine is running low on artillery shells. More are coming from the West.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:16 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:46 am
Source?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:24 am

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:16 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Source?
Many print and video sources, here's one: https://www.newsweek.com/we-are-out-amm ... wn-1715060
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:40 pm

If you want to really know what's going on, follow the link.

Since the start of Russia's invasion, the Institute for the Study of War has provided daily updates about the situation on the front. The assessments from the Washington-based research group have become required reading for those of us following the war.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgr ... 1bf5005b9b

flockofseagulls104

#7 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:17 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:40 pm
If you want to really know what's going on, follow the link.

Since the start of Russia's invasion, the Institute for the Study of War has provided daily updates about the situation on the front. The assessments from the Washington-based research group have become required reading for those of us following the war.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgr ... 1bf5005b9b
I would guess they ain't down by the riverside. Otherwise they wouldn't be studyin' war no more.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Weyoun

#8 Post by Weyoun » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 pm

Yes, the situation in the Donbas is going poorly, but folks who have been paying by attention could have told you that.

Btw does the Russian success make you horny?

flockofseagulls104

#9 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:04 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 pm
Yes, the situation in the Donbas is going poorly, but folks who have been paying by attention could have told you that.

Btw does the Russian success make you horny?
Are you trolling me, or someone else?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:07 am

While most of the media attention is focused on a small part of the Donbas region, Ukraine has been making substantial progress in its efforts to retake Kherson, the largest Ukrainian city currently under Russian control. There are unconfirmed reports that their forces are within 18 kilometers (about 11 miles) of Kherson. Recapturing Kherson would be an enormous strategic and propaganda win for Ukraine. The Russians have been making plans to annex Kherson for the last month, and are even having school classes taught in Russian with Russian textbooks.

In recent weeks, there were reports that the Russians were sending Vietnam War era tanks to the Kherson area, and the troops they have stationed there aren't their best either. Ukraine can sense weakness in an area and exploit it, as they have done with their other counterattacks to date.

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:55 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Technically, they are running out of shells for the older Russian/Soviet style artillery they had when the war began. Not surprisingly, the US and many other Western nations don't stock those shells. We have been sending shells for the new howitzers we've been sending, and as those come on line, the problem with the old artillery will be less of an issue.

jarnon

#12 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:58 am

Ukraine said Wednesday that nine Russian warplanes were destroyed in a deadly string of explosions at an air base in Crimea that appeared to be the result of a Ukrainian attack, which would represent a significant escalation in the war.

Russia denied any aircraft were damaged in Tuesday's blasts — or that any attack took place. But satellite photos clearly showed at least seven fighter planes at the base had been blown up and others probably damaged.

Ukrainian officials stopped short of publicly claiming responsibility for the explosions, while mocking Russia’s explanation that a careless smoker might have caused ammunition at the Saki air base to catch fire and blow up.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:09 pm

Spock wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:48 am
I have been wondering about stuff like this as we have basically only heard Ukrainian propaganda-but the narrative is starting to shift hard that things are not going well for Ukraine.

Just warning those here that might be big Ukraine partisans to be prepared for bad news.

Last night, on NPR a story which I found through channel scanning-they were talking about the war turning against Ukraine.

Plus this recent report.

https://news.yahoo.com/intelligence-rep ... 36886.html

Just thought I'd bring up another one of Spock's threads that hasn't aged too well. Over the summer, the Russian offensive ground to a halt while the Ukrainians began using the advanced weaponry we've been sending them. They then began announcing that they would begin a major offensive in the Kherson region in the south of the country "soon." Kherson is the largest city that the Russians captured since the beginning of the war. The Russians took the bait and moved a lot of troops south. In the last week, the Ukrainians began their counteroffensive and attacked heavily in the north and central parts of the country. Essentially, the Russian units have broken down and many are fleeing, deserting, or surrendering, leaving lots of weaponry and ammunition behind. Ukrainian forces are on the outskirts of Donetsk, which was occupied by pro-Russian forces in 2014 and the capital of the so-called Donetsk People's Republic. Several other sizable cities have also been recaptured in the last week.

This hasn't gotten much press in the US because of the Trump and Queen Elizabeth stories, but this is a massive breakthrough by the Ukrainians. (The Russians are once again claiming they are repositioning their forces like they did when they retreated from Kyiv.)

Weyoun

#14 Post by Weyoun » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:47 am

Spock may want to consider taking that picture of a shirtless Putin riding a horse off his bedroom wall

jarnon

#15 Post by jarnon » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:59 am

Remarks as Russia “annexes” four areas of Ukraine:
Vladimir Putin wrote:Do we really want to have in Russia, instead of mothers and fathers, to have “parent No. 1”, “parent No. 2”, “parent No. 3”? What kind of craziness is that? Do we really want to have in our schools starting from elementary school, do we want our kids to be imposed to the perverted values that lead to degradation and extinction? Do we want them to impose this understanding that instead of males and females, there are some genders, and do we really want them to go through gender change operations? Do we really want it for our children? It is unacceptable for us, because we have the future of our own, which is different.
Andriy Yermak (Zelenskyy chief of staff) wrote:We continue to work and liberate Ukrainian territories. And we don’t pay attention to those whose time to take pills has come. The army is working, Ukraine is united. Only moving forward.
Denis Pushilin (leader of Donetsk) wrote:Ukraine’s armed formations are trying very hard to spoil our celebration.
Volodymyr Zelenskyy wrote:Today Ukraine is submitting its application for NATO Membership.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:44 am

Well, the Russians got some bad news today, just in time for Putin's 70th birthday. The Karch Bridge, which connects Crimea to the Russian mainland and is a major source of supply into Crimea, was badly damaged last night. It's actually two bridges, one for road traffic and an adjacent bridge for trains. A train carrying fuel caught fire on the railroad bridge, and a couple of large sections of the adjacent road bridge collapsed and fell into the Black Sea. The road bridge is completely unusable, and the status of the railroad bridge is uncertain (once they get the train hauled out of the way), Ukraine hasn't exactly claimed credit for the explosion but they've hinted at it. It was thought that the bridge was out of range of Ukrainian artillery, and the leading theory is that a truck bomb exploded on the road bridge, causing the train to catch fire as well.

The loss of this bridge will make supplying Russian military in Crimea and the Kherson region increasingly difficult. There is one existing overland rail route from Russia to Crimea though occupied Ukraine, but sections of it are within artillery range and it's likely to become a prime target in the near future.

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:30 pm

According to an FSB (the new name for the KGB) source, Russia has suffered 90,000 irrecoverable casualties in the war so far. This includes dead, missing (some of those deserted) or so badly wounded they cannot return to active duty. That's in line with some of the other figures I've seen recently and explains why Putin is so desperate to mobilize. It's also over three times what the Soviet Union lost in nearly a decade in Afghanistan in the 1980s.

https://meduza.io/en/news/2022/10/12/ru ... ed-or-awol

jarnon

#18 Post by jarnon » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:19 pm

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:40 pm

The Russians are now abandoning Kherson and the surrounding area and are retreating past the Dnipro River, which is a better defensive position. The Russians were having increasing difficulty keeping their troops supplied since the Ukrainians damaged the bridge connecting Crimea to Russia. The retreat will probably take a few days to complete. Kherson is the largest city that the Russians captured in their initial attack, and Russia even held sham elections there less than two months ago in which the residents supposedly voted to become part of Russia. Since the Russian front lines are several miles past Kherson, the city itself hasn't been abandoned yet and some people think this is another stunt by the Russians, but the overall retreat is real, and the Ukrainians have captured a sizable amount of territory in the last two days.

jarnon

#20 Post by jarnon » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:03 pm

Russian missiles cross into Poland during strike on Ukraine, U.S. official tells AP

If Poland retaliates, all the NATO allies are obligated to support them.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:09 pm

jarnon wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:03 pm
US official: Russian missiles crossed into Poland, killing 2

Which is why I expect that Poland will show some restraint. I don't think either Russia or NATO wants a full-fledged conflict between Russia and NATO. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#22 Post by jarnon » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:12 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:09 pm
jarnon wrote:
US official: Russian missiles crossed into Poland, killing 2

Which is why I expect that Poland will show some restraint. I don't think either Russia or NATO wants a full-fledged conflict between Russia and NATO. --Bob
There are less severe actions Poland could take, such as demanding an end to Russian bombardment in western Ukraine.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#23 Post by jarnon » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:28 pm

jarnon wrote:
Russian missiles cross into Poland during strike on Ukraine, U.S. official tells AP

After a meeting with fellow leaders in Indonesia Wednesday morning, President Biden told the press that, based on the missile's trajectory, it's unlikely that it was fired from Russia.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

a1mamacat

#24 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:56 pm

jarnon wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:28 pm
jarnon wrote:

After a meeting with fellow leaders in Indonesia Wednesday morning, President Biden told the press that, based on the missile's trajectory, it's unlikely that it was fired from Russia.
I would bet that Belarus had a hand in that one.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

jarnon

#25 Post by jarnon » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:44 am

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי