Political (ha!) Question for Sprots

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Earl the Squirrel

Political (ha!) Question for Sprots

#1 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:13 pm

The rest of you may safely return to your homes.

Being a fine, upstanding voter type citizen, I got a ballot again! And, being a fine, upstanding voter type citizen, I went to fill it out. Apparently, this is the primaries so it's just like the conference finals, right? (Stop laughing, people who aren't Sprots but are reading anyway, I spent my entire life up until two years ago as a staunch, happy non-voter. You can blame Trump for that one).

Therefore, this is only the Western Conference/Democrats on the ballot. There is only one "race" in the entire thing that has more than one person and that is two people going for a District 5 Representative. I've never heard of either one of them and would basically just be picking whose name I liked better (and they're David and Michael, could it BE more even in blah-ness?)

So, does it really matter to drop off my ballot if the only difference would be picking out whose going to lose to Doug Lamborn, anyway? (Who I did know personally BITD and he was an idiot, as a lawyer at least). These numbers have no bearing on anything once they get to the finals, right?

PS Go Avalanche! I haven't paid a lot of attention to hockey for a long time, but I couldn't believe that haven't been to the Finals since their last Cup. And I do love me some Naz Kadri!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Political (ha!) Question for Sprots

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:53 pm

Hey, Fan Question. Why did you never vote before Trump shit?
I may not vote in the next election which kills me, cause I think it's our duty. But, eh.
There were many years that you coulda voted, and you're smart. I don't get it.
Well, then

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:23 pm

Here we have someone who claims to be a squirrel, showing a photo ID of a cat.

This stinks of voter fraud!

:twisted:

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:34 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:13 pm

Being a fine, upstanding voter type citizen, I got a ballot again! And, being a fine, upstanding voter type citizen, I went to fill it out. Apparently, this is the primaries so it's just like the conference finals, right? (Stop laughing, people who aren't Sprots but are reading anyway, I spent my entire life up until two years ago as a staunch, happy non-voter. You can blame Trump for that one).

Therefore, this is only the Western Conference/Democrats on the ballot. There is only one "race" in the entire thing that has more than one person and that is two people going for a District 5 Representative. I've never heard of either one of them and would basically just be picking whose name I liked better (and they're David and Michael, could it BE more even in blah-ness?)

So, does it really matter to drop off my ballot if the only difference would be picking out whose going to lose to Doug Lamborn, anyway? (Who I did know personally BITD and he was an idiot, as a lawyer at least). These numbers have no bearing on anything once they get to the finals, right?

PS Go Avalanche! I haven't paid a lot of attention to hockey for a long time, but I couldn't believe that haven't been to the Finals since their last Cup. And I do love me some Naz Kadri!
I'm not Sprots but I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one.

You're correct that if each of the races in which you plan to vote has only one candidate (and assuming there's no viable write-in candidate running), whether you cast your ballot probably makes no formal difference as to who appears on the November ballot. That said, people who write checks do compare the numbers of votes cast in Republican and Democratic primaries to determine where they should invest dollars and which races they should ignore as lost causes.

And by the way, according to Ballotpedia, the two Democratic candidates on the ballot for CO-5 are named Michael and Santiago. Is Ballotpedia wrong? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:49 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:34 pm
That said, people who write checks do compare the numbers of votes cast in Republican and Democratic primaries to determine where they should invest dollars and which races they should ignore as lost causes.
Here in Georgia, we have four cabinet positions to vote for in the Democratic runoff: Lt. Governor, Secretary of State, Labor Commissioner, and Insurance Commissioner. There were four runoffs on the Republican ballot for Congress (out of 14 districts). Now there may have been some state Senate or Representative races that had runoffs, but otherwise, most Republican voters in the state literally have no one to vote for in next week's runoff.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Earl the Squirrel

#6 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:45 am

And by the way, according to Ballotpedia, the two Democratic candidates on the ballot for CO-5 are named Michael and Santiago. Is Ballotpedia wrong? --Bob
Must be. The ballot says Michael Colombe and David Torres.

Earl the Squirrel

#7 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:45 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:23 pm

This is rich coming from someone claiming to be a ghost, showing a picture of a...a..... mountain lion?

In any event, you can't tell Earl who he can and cannot be! If he wants to self-identify as a squirrel, then that's his beeswax. Besides, he was still baybee in that picture. The time for experimentation and exploration. He's kind of chosen Wild Thing ( you make me heart sing...) as his teenage self.

Earl the Squirrel

#8 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:57 am

It's a long story, Harold...

Cliff Note Version: Because there was no sense in putting in the effort to vote when it doesn't count. Work smarter, not harder!

Is there a problem with replying so many times to an existing thread? Also, when did we lose the ability to multi-quote?

This is response to Bebe. I couldn't for the life of me posting anything with a quote, even typing out the html.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:53 am

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:45 am
Must be. The ballot says Michael Colombe and David Torres.
It looks like his full name is Santiago David Goenaga-Torres.

Just looking at their campaign Web sites, it's pretty clear they have very different backgrounds. There may well be a significant difference between the two candidates. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:17 pm

I recently voted in the meaningless Pennsylvania Democratic primary. My preferred candidate for senator was third in the polls and had no chance. Still, it probably helps his future political career to get thousands of votes against more experienced and well known politicians.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:27 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:57 am
It's a long story, Harold...

Cliff Note Version: Because there was no sense in putting in the effort to vote when it doesn't count. Work smarter, not harder!

Is there a problem with replying so many times to an existing thread? Also, when did we lose the ability to multi-quote?

This is response to Bebe. I couldn't for the life of me posting anything with a quote, even typing out the html.
Sometimes the bored gets wonky.

With that aside, ya coulda voted locally and it may have made a diff.

It's all a fucking crapshoot, so kinda understand.
Well, then

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:06 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:45 am
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:23 pm

This is rich coming from someone claiming to be a ghost, showing a picture of a...a..... mountain lion?

In any event, you can't tell Earl who he can and cannot be! If he wants to self-identify as a squirrel, then that's his beeswax. Besides, he was still baybee in that picture. The time for experimentation and exploration. He's kind of chosen Wild Thing ( you make me heart sing...) as his teenage self.
Hey, I know a thing or two about voter fraud. Dead people voting is long and hallowed custom. At least according to some people. As for what my painting represents, you'd have to talk to the artist.

But I do apologize for being speciesist. I'll remember to always respect your pronouns, too. He/His, always in the third person, even when talking about yourself.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#13 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:26 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:13 pm

The short answer is, no, it doesn't matter. Feel free to leave them blank.

One longer answer is, I do it because I want to be able to tell my local Dem political candidates that I voted for them, and I hope that my Dem colleagues want to show their support also.

Another longer answer is that in the Third CD, there will be a bunch of ballots, maybe 3,700 or so (that's about how many Dems disaffiliated so they could get a Republican ballot and vote for Don Coram) with only the Third CD race voted. Other down ballot races may have more than one candidate depending on the county, but the 3,700 have very little knowledge of the candidates in those races aside from the incumbents.

I voted against allowing unaffiliateds to vote in primaries, and that's one reason -- lack of knowledge of the candidates of the other party. The other reason I voted no is because I was sure some Republicans would disaffiliate and vote for our worst candidate so the Republican candidate would have an easier race in the general election. I had no idea that Dems would disaffiliate in order to vote for the Republican best candidate.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller