EGOT

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Appa23

EGOT

#1 Post by Appa23 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:48 am

Here is a rant where everyone may disagree with me, but here it is:

If you are claiming EGOT status, then each win should be in the same “category”. If you are a performer, then your wins should be in performing (acting, singing, comedy album, spoken word album). Similar for composers.

Also, a Daytime Emmy is not an Emmy for EGOT purposes.

EGOT status is getting watered down, it seems to me.

According to the news, Jennifer Hudson just completed the EGOT. No question on the GO, but she has a Daytime Emmy for producing a kids show, and a Tony for being one of 2 dozen producers for A Strange Loop.

Cranky old man rant over.

earendel

Re: EGOT

#2 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:05 am

Appa23 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:48 am

If you are claiming EGOT status, then each win should be in the same “category”. If you are a performer, then your wins should be in performing (acting, singing, comedy album, spoken word album). Similar for composers.

According to the news, Jennifer Hudson just completed the EGOT. No question on the GO, but she has a Daytime Emmy for producing a kids show, and a Tony for being one of 2 dozen producers for A Strange Loop.

Does any of the EGOTs meet those criteria?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:10 am

I personally think its about the trophy. Maybe the Daytime Emmy trophy is different than the "regular" Emmy, but the Oscar statue for composer is the same as for actor or art direction. If you have one trophy from each then EGOT it is (but you have to place them on your trpophy shelf in that order).

I think it a greater acheivement to have won the top honor in different diciplines than the top honor of the same thing from a different set of judges.

It would be more impressive had Jim Plunkett won a Super Bowl AND a World Series rather than a Super Bowl and the Heisman (not apples to apples but both fruit. :D )
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

kroxquo

#4 Post by kroxquo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:33 pm

earendel wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:05 am
Appa23 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:48 am

Does any of the EGOTs meet those criteria?
Richard Rodgers - all for music composition

Rita Moreno - all for acting/singing (she did both in all the wins)

Marvin Hamlisch - all for music composition

Jonathan Tunick - all for music arrangement

Robert Lopez - all for music composition
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

franktangredi

#5 Post by franktangredi » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:48 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:10 am
I personally think its about the trophy. Maybe the Daytime Emmy trophy is different than the "regular" Emmy, but the Oscar statue for composer is the same as for actor or art direction. If you have one trophy from each then EGOT it is (but you have to place them on your trpophy shelf in that order).

I think it a greater acheivement to have won the top honor in different diciplines than the top honor of the same thing from a different set of judges.

It would be more impressive had Jim Plunkett won a Super Bowl AND a World Series rather than a Super Bowl and the Heisman (not apples to apples but both fruit. :D )
I agree completely. The only kind of award that should be - and is - excluded from the EGOT count is an honorary award. They all have to be in competitive categories.

Appa23

#6 Post by Appa23 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:56 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:48 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:10 am

I agree completely. The only kind of award that should be - and is - excluded from the EGOT count is an honorary award. They all have to be in competitive categories.
I think that it is the trophies which were literally bought and not actively won (producer credit) where I have the biggest issue.

Robert Lopez’s Daytime Emmy for Wonder Pets probably is not listed first when discussing his EGOT, so I do think that there is a difference in gravitas.

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:50 am

I agree these awards should be for performing or writing/composing, or the actual doing of a thing (not wanting to leave out costume designers and such).

I get why we have producers, or nothing would get made, and I don't disagree they could be rewarded for taking those massive financial risks.

But it's not the same.

It's become a joke now, that you can do a children's recording of a book to get a Grammy, but I do see the point about a Daytime Emmy or a children's book Grammy being still a performance.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

franktangredi

#8 Post by franktangredi » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:57 am

There is a difference between a producer and an investor.

Earl the Squirrel

#9 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:00 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:50 am
I agree these awards should be for performing or writing/composing, or the actual doing of a thing (not wanting to leave out costume designers and such).

I get why we have producers, or nothing would get made, and I don't disagree they could be rewarded for taking those massive financial risks.

But it's not the same.

It's become a joke now, that you can do a children's recording of a book to get a Grammy, but I do see the point about a Daytime Emmy or a children's book Grammy being still a performance.
The producer credit is such a cop-out. Along with Hudson, RuPaul now has a Tony, I love RuPaul, always have, he's single handedly built an empire. But has not done anything to deserve a Tony.

It's like when Beyonce changes one word in a song in order to get a songwriting credit. Along with those sweet, sweet royalties. Which she desperately needs, since she and Jay-Z are obviously hard up for the scratch...

I love it when there's a plagiarism case against somebody like Demi Lovato, and her defense is that she didn't actually write any of the music and is only personally responsible for less than one line of the song.

Appa23

#10 Post by Appa23 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:01 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:57 am
There is a difference between a producer and an investor.
There is a difference between an investor and a Lead Producer or an Executive Producer. A co-producer is all about the money (investing yourself or getting friends to invest with you).

Which of the three producer types do you think that RuPaul and Jennifer Hudson are?

(I also like the Squirrel's reference to Beyonce getting song writing credits for a few words. Songwriting credit and producer credit are similar -- the more names you see, the more likely than most of them did nothing to earn it.)

I told you -- cranky old man.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#11 Post by Vandal » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:04 pm

Viola Davis earns coveted EGOT

The 57-year-old actress earned her first Grammy for her performance of the audiobook for her memoir, “Finding Me.”

Viola Davis has earned the rare and coveted EGOT status — becoming the third Black woman in history to achieve the honor.

On Sunday, Davis, 57, won her first Grammy for her performance of the audiobook for her memoir, “Finding Me.”

“It has just been such a journey," Davis said in accepting the award. "I just EGOT!”

“EGOT” is the grand slam of an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony over a career. Only 18 people have achieved the status. Davis is the fourth Black person, alongside Whoopi Goldberg, John Legend and Jennifer Hudson.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/vio ... -rcna69081
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster