Biden Calls for Ban on Assault Weapons and New ‘Red Flag’ Laws

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Biden Calls for Ban on Assault Weapons and New ‘Red Flag’ Laws

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:22 pm

I agree with every word he said. This is what the Democrats are calling for, not turning schools into prisons.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06/02 ... rol-speech

WASHINGTON — President Biden urged lawmakers on Thursday to break years of ideological stalemate in Washington by passing new federal gun safety measures, calling on Congress to stop the sale of assault-style weapons, expand background checks and pass “red flag” laws after last month’s massacres in Texas and New York.

“We need to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines,” Mr. Biden said in a rare evening speech to the nation. “And if we can’t ban assault weapons, then we should raise the age to purchase them from 18 to 21, strengthen the background checks.”

He called on Congress to “enact safe storage law and red flag laws, repeal the immunity that protects gun manufacturers from liability, address the mental health crisis.”

Delivering his address from the Cross Hall, a ceremonial part of the White House residence which was lined with candles in honor of the victims of gun violence, Mr. Biden described the deep grief that he experienced when he and his wife talked to the families of victims slain in the two mass shootings.

“At both places, we spent hours with hundreds of family members, who were broken, whose lives will never be the same,” he said. “They had one message for all of us: Do something. Just do something. For God’s sake, do something.”

A White House statement earlier in the day called on Congress to pass “common sense laws to combat the epidemic of gun violence that is taking lives every day.” And Karine Jean-Pierre, the White House press secretary, repeated what she described as a “call to action” from the president for lawmakers to confront the surge of violence and death in recent years.

“He has been crystal clear that Congress needs to act,” Ms. Jean-Pierre said of Mr. Biden, adding: “We’re trying to make it safe for people to go to grocery store, so kids could go to elementary schools. And so this is what the president is calling for.”

Follow link for more.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.