How do you vote against helping parents feed their babies?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

How do you vote against helping parents feed their babies?

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:33 pm

Can someone explain to me why 192 Republicans voted against H.R. 7790, which did nothing except provide an emergency appropriation to help easy the current shortage in infant formula? Why did they think it's a good idea for Congress to sit on its hands while parents struggle to feed their babies? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

Re: How do you vote against helping parents feed their babies

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 19, 2022 3:36 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:33 pm
Can someone explain to me why 192 Republicans voted against H.R. 7790, which did nothing except provide an emergency appropriation to help easy the current shortage in infant formula? Why did they think it's a good idea for Congress to sit on its hands while parents struggle to feed their babies? --Bob
Please remind me again which party refers to itself as the "pro-life" party.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: How do you vote against helping parents feed their babies?

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 19, 2022 5:41 pm

Convenience aborted babes don't need formula in re pro life question.

Some reasons bill may be bogus.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.co ... 1652996346
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 19, 2022 5:55 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:41 pm

Casting blame (wrongly, in my view -- the problem was that a major formula manufacturer couldn't keep its plant clean) doesn't feed the babies. I linked the actual text of the bill. Why was it a bad idea? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:07 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:55 pm
Beebs52 wrote:

Casting blame (wrongly, in my view -- the problem was that a major formula manufacturer couldn't keep its plant clean) doesn't feed the babies. I linked the actual text of the bill. Why was it a bad idea? --Bob
Possibly because it's an fda bureacratic money allocation rather than solution.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:47 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:07 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

It's a solution. The money is used to inspect foreign manufacturers of formula to make sure their formula meets U.S. standards. Those manufacturers can then import formula into the U.S.

What's the alternative? Allow formula that may not meet our standards? Go without? Lower our standards?

This is just Republicans doing what they do best -- obstructing and making life harder for regular people, all in the name of some incomprehensible ideology that requires them to oppose all government action that doesn't involve controlling women's bodies. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:04 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:47 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
It's a solution. The money is used to inspect foreign manufacturers of formula to make sure their formula meets U.S. standards. Those manufacturers can then import formula into the U.S.

What's the alternative? Allow formula that may not meet our standards? Go without? Lower our standards?

This is just Republicans doing what they do best -- obstructing and making life harder for regular people, all in the name of some incomprehensible ideology that requires them to oppose all government action that doesn't involve controlling women's bodies. --Bob
I'm thinking Dems will pose this as an immediate solution, which it's not.
Nice deflection on every possible subject, tho.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:17 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:04 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:47 pm
Beebs52 wrote:

I'm thinking Dems will pose this as an immediate solution, which it's not.
Nice deflection on every possible subject, tho.
It's pretty damn fast. Once we get plants inspected, we can start importing immediately. It's a faster solution than anything I can think of short of lowering quality requirements.

Again, why is this solution a bad idea? Why is it better to allow parents to suffer through the shortage with no help in sight? --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:20 pm

Give me the timeline.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:23 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:20 pm
Give me the timeline.
Paging gsabc. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 20, 2022 6:13 am

You could find out for yourself, bob, but, as usual, you are just sending out your party's talking points to spark outrage. Don't spend a single second trying to understand a different perspective. Just attack.
Rep. Cole (R)
“While mothers and families struggle to find formula on the shelves to feed their children, Democrats decided to push through a bill that does not address the actual cause of the shortage. Unfortunately, the bill only creates the appearance of responding but doesn’t actually do anything to solve the supply crisis,” said Cole. “Furthermore, I am frustrated by reports that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services was aware of this crisis beginning last year. That means there was ample opportunity to address the problem before it became a life and death situation. Although real lives are at stake, all H.R. 7790 does is hand a $28 million check to the Food and Drug Administration with no requirements or pathway to fix the baby formula shortage.

Although I could not support H.R. 7790, I was proud to vote for the Access to Baby Formula Act. An actual bipartisan solution, H.R. 7791 would ensure American families do not experience similar shortages in the future by requiring manufacturers to develop plans to prevent shortages in the event production is disrupted and providing temporary, narrow flexibilities to states’ Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) programs to allow continued access to formula during supply disruptions.”

Rep. Moore (R)
Representative Dave Moore (R) of Utah said he voted against the bill because it is ineffective and would not make infant formula more available to families. “Even Democrats expressed frustration with their leadership for putting this bill on the floor,” he said. “More bureaucracy is not the solution; bureaucracy around imports, labeling, and state formula contracts is in fact a key cause of the shortage.” Moore said he and his wife are in the thick of the shortage and he’s doing all he can to find real solutions and accountability.

Rep. Mace (R)
Mace was one of the 192 Republicans to cast a “nay” vote saying the bill was “throwing money at a problem.”

“The FDA already received over $100 million two weeks ago for supply chain issues and they have not spent a single dime, even though they knew about the baby formula shortages when that plant shut down,” Mace said. “Knowing that, they didn’t spend a single dime of the 100 million they were given to address supply chain issues to address this very important supply chain issue.”

This week, she introduced a bill of her own that would waive import tariffs on foreign baby formula for 90 days. The United States currently imposes up to 17.5 percent tariff and tariff-rate quotas on infant formula.

“We really have to focus on things like lifting the tariffs on imports of baby formula [so] when a parent cant find it in a store and wants to order it from overseas, let’s not make it more expensive by adding additional taxes to it,” Mace said. “We’ve got to ensure that we lift regulations or waive regulations that are getting in the way and impeding food getting on our shelves.”

Rep. Scalise (R)
Earlier on Wednesday, Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) sent a memo to all House GOP offices recommending that members vote against the legislation. He argued that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) brought up the bill “in hopes of covering up the administration’s ineptitude by throwing additional money at the FDA with no plan to actually fix the problem, all while failing to hold the FDA accountable.”

Rep. Stewart (R)
Stewart said in a tweet that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., shut Republicans out of good-faith negotiations to solve the baby formula crisis. He said the bill doesn’t force the FDA to develop a plan, account for excess stocks or leverage existing transportation capabilities.

Here’s another tweet he wrote:

Nearly half of America's baby formula is out of stock. So what did Speaker Pelosi do this week? She gave everyone in Congress a Peloton membership that could cost taxpayers an extra $100K per month. America's parents need relief, @SpeakerPelosi. Bring my FORMULA Act to a vote.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:33 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:13 am
You could find out for yourself, bob, but, as usual, you are just sending out your party's talking points to spark outrage. Don't spend a single second trying to understand a different perspective. Just attack.
Rep. Cole (R)
“While mothers and families struggle to find formula on the shelves to feed their children, Democrats decided to push through a bill that does not address the actual cause of the shortage. Unfortunately, the bill only creates the appearance of responding but doesn’t actually do anything to solve the supply crisis,” said Cole. “Furthermore, I am frustrated by reports that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services was aware of this crisis beginning last year. That means there was ample opportunity to address the problem before it became a life and death situation. Although real lives are at stake, all H.R. 7790 does is hand a $28 million check to the Food and Drug Administration with no requirements or pathway to fix the baby formula shortage.

Although I could not support H.R. 7790, I was proud to vote for the Access to Baby Formula Act. An actual bipartisan solution, H.R. 7791 would ensure American families do not experience similar shortages in the future by requiring manufacturers to develop plans to prevent shortages in the event production is disrupted and providing temporary, narrow flexibilities to states’ Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) programs to allow continued access to formula during supply disruptions.”

Rep. Moore (R)
Representative Dave Moore (R) of Utah said he voted against the bill because it is ineffective and would not make infant formula more available to families. “Even Democrats expressed frustration with their leadership for putting this bill on the floor,” he said. “More bureaucracy is not the solution; bureaucracy around imports, labeling, and state formula contracts is in fact a key cause of the shortage.” Moore said he and his wife are in the thick of the shortage and he’s doing all he can to find real solutions and accountability.

Rep. Mace (R)
Mace was one of the 192 Republicans to cast a “nay” vote saying the bill was “throwing money at a problem.”

“The FDA already received over $100 million two weeks ago for supply chain issues and they have not spent a single dime, even though they knew about the baby formula shortages when that plant shut down,” Mace said. “Knowing that, they didn’t spend a single dime of the 100 million they were given to address supply chain issues to address this very important supply chain issue.”

This week, she introduced a bill of her own that would waive import tariffs on foreign baby formula for 90 days. The United States currently imposes up to 17.5 percent tariff and tariff-rate quotas on infant formula.

“We really have to focus on things like lifting the tariffs on imports of baby formula [so] when a parent cant find it in a store and wants to order it from overseas, let’s not make it more expensive by adding additional taxes to it,” Mace said. “We’ve got to ensure that we lift regulations or waive regulations that are getting in the way and impeding food getting on our shelves.”

Rep. Scalise (R)
Earlier on Wednesday, Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) sent a memo to all House GOP offices recommending that members vote against the legislation. He argued that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) brought up the bill “in hopes of covering up the administration’s ineptitude by throwing additional money at the FDA with no plan to actually fix the problem, all while failing to hold the FDA accountable.”

Rep. Stewart (R)
Stewart said in a tweet that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., shut Republicans out of good-faith negotiations to solve the baby formula crisis. He said the bill doesn’t force the FDA to develop a plan, account for excess stocks or leverage existing transportation capabilities.

Nearly half of America's baby formula is out of stock. So what did Speaker Pelosi do this week? She gave everyone in Congress a Peloton membership that could cost taxpayers an extra $100K per month. America's parents need relief, @SpeakerPelosi. Bring my FORMULA Act to a vote.
Except that these responses are political bullshit. Supply chain issues aren't the problem. A major domestic formula manufacturer had to shut down because its plant got contaminated. That's the problem. Pricing isn't the problem -- many parents are unable to find formula at any price, so lowering tariffs won't help.

The "solutions" advocated by these quotes won't do anyone any good (studies) or would actively do harm (deregulation). The bill that passed will allow us to import more formula by allowing us, quickly, to inspect more foreign manufacturers. (That will also reduce consumer prices by increasing supply.) Which you'd know if you ever bothered thinking for yourself instead of regurgitating Republican talking points.

House Republicans -- 192 of them -- voted against feeding babies because they'd rather vote for studies and deregulation. It's pretty much that simple. I just hope struggling parents get the message. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#13 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:52 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:33 am
Rep. Cole (R)

Rep. Moore (R)

Rep. Mace (R)

Rep. Scalise (R)

Rep. Stewart (R)

Except that these responses are political bullshit. Supply chain issues aren't the problem. A major domestic formula manufacturer had to shut down because its plant got contaminated. That's the problem. Pricing isn't the problem -- many parents are unable to find formula at any price, so lowering tariffs won't help.

The "solutions" advocated by these quotes won't do anyone any good (studies) or would actively do harm (deregulation). The bill that passed will allow us to import more formula by allowing us, quickly, to inspect more foreign manufacturers. (That will also reduce consumer prices by increasing supply.) Which you'd know if you ever bothered thinking for yourself instead of regurgitating Republican talking points.

House Republicans -- 192 of them -- voted against feeding babies because they'd rather vote for studies and deregulation. It's pretty much that simple. I just hope struggling parents get the message. --Bob
OHHHH! It's all political bullshit? I didn't think of that, bob. Thanks for setting me straight. Of course these individuals are liars, cheats and frauds, and everybody in your beloved party are enlightened saints, (that somehow always think exactly alike).

I was under the false and dangerous impression that it was political bullshit to throw more money to a government dept that was partially to blame for the whole problem to begin with, and is, as far as I can tell, sufficiently well funded already. How stupid of me! I should have known that's how YOUR Washington DC has always worked. Fucked up? No problem, we'll just shuffle the people who don't know what the hell they're doing to some other position, and give them more money to fix the problem.

I mean, if the FDA or any other part of the UNELECTED BUREAUCRACY was considering condemning 40% of the supply of a critical commodity, don't you think they should have had a backup plan? Shouldn't they have raised a red flag, and considered importing baby formula before it became a major issue, or alerting other producers to ramp up production ASAP, bob?

But I guess you can give this administration a pass on this. They have so many other things they've fucked up, it's hard to concentrate on fixing them all. Or finding halfway credible scapegoats to blame it on.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 20, 2022 2:16 pm

Fri May 20, 2022 1:52 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

OHHHH! It's all political bullshit? I didn't think of that, bob. Thanks for setting me straight. Of course these individuals are liars, cheats and frauds, and everybody in your beloved party are enlightened saints, (that somehow always think exactly alike).

I was under the false and dangerous impression that it was political bullshit to throw more money to a government dept that was partially to blame for the whole problem to begin with, and is, as far as I can tell, sufficiently well funded already. How stupid of me! I should have known that's how YOUR Washington DC has always worked. Fucked up? No problem, we'll just shuffle the people who don't know what the hell they're doing to some other position, and give them more money to fix the problem.

I mean, if the FDA or any other part of the UNELECTED BUREAUCRACY was considering condemning 40% of the supply of a critical commodity, don't you think they should have had a backup plan? Shouldn't they have raised a red flag, and considered importing baby formula before it became a major issue, or alerting other producers to ramp up production ASAP, bob?

But I guess you can give this administration a pass on this. They have so many other things they've fucked up, it's hard to concentrate on fixing them all. Or finding halfway credible scapegoats to blame it on.
You wanted President Biden to unilaterally import uninspected formula? That's outside his power. Unlike a recent Administration I could mention, he follows the law.

They're trying to fix the problem. And like you, 192 House Republicans just voted against the fix, preferring instead to throw mud while parents struggle to feed their babies. --Bob

gsabc

#15 Post by gsabc » Fri May 20, 2022 2:20 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:23 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:20 pm
Give me the timeline.
Paging gsabc. --Bob
Depends on the results of past inspections by FDA and the EU/local equivalent. The FDA could review the most recent inspections by the other agencies and accept those results at least on a contingency basis, which would expedite matters. I hope they won't wait to do their own inspections; those are intense and time-consuming.

The FDA has been short-handed since forever. Too many inspectors stay just long enough to get the experience to put on their resumes, then they're off and making tons more money as consultants. I think I had the same inspector two times in a row only once in my career. They're supposed to inspect facilities every two years, but it can stretch beyond that depending on your history and on their higher priority (read: problematic) companies. Same revolving door goes for the people who review the applications. Lots more money available in the industry outside of government than inside.

I'll be looking for the results of the investigation of the whistleblower's allegations, which said that TPTB at the Abbott plant deliberately hid information about contamination and other problems at their last inspection. If true, expect trials, fines, possible jail time and debarments, i.e., you can never work in the industry again.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

flockofseagulls104

#16 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 20, 2022 2:23 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:16 pm
Fri May 20, 2022 1:52 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

You wanted President Biden to unilaterally import uninspected formula? That's outside his power. Unlike a recent Administration I could mention, he follows the law.

They're trying to fix the problem. And like you, 192 House Republicans just voted against the fix, preferring instead to throw mud while parents struggle to feed their babies. --Bob
Pretty lame response. The FDA is under the executive branch, is it not bob? Where is your sanctimonious outrage for them letting this happen in the first place? Why didn't they do anything until it got to be a crisis, bob? And then why are you and dopes like you trying to play the blame game after the fact?

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Fri May 20, 2022 4:06 pm

In laymen's terms, explain what this bill does and how that will fix the problem. And how whatever money this bill will spend could not be spent wiser to permanently solve the problem.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#18 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:01 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:06 pm
In laymen's terms, explain what this bill does and how that will fix the problem. And how whatever money this bill will spend could not be spent wiser to permanently solve the problem.
It will allow us promptly to import more formula from overseas. It will do that by hiring people to make sure that overseas plants that want to import to us are in fact meeting U.S. standards, and therefore can legally be imported. Once the money is available, this can happen fast (according to gsabc, who's spent his professional life in this world). --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#19 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:01 pm
BackInTex wrote:
It will allow us promptly to import more formula from overseas. It will do that by hiring people to make sure that overseas plants that want to import to us are in fact meeting U.S. standards, and therefore can legally be imported. Once the money is available, this can happen fast (according to gsabc, who's spent his professional life in this world). --Bob
That is not what he said.

"The FDA could review the most recent inspections by the other agencies and accept those results at least on a contingency basis, which would expedite matters. I hope they won't wait to do their own inspections; those are intense and time-consuming."
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#20 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:14 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

"The FDA could review the most recent inspections by the other agencies and accept those results at least on a contingency basis, which would expedite matters. I hope they won't wait to do their own inspections; those are intense and time-consuming."
The first option aligns with what I said. We can perform our own inspections (slow) or we can hire people who can review the paperwork of foreign inspections (fast). But either way we need to hire people. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#21 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:15 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
So, apparently, according to your answer, there are no overseas baby food manufacturers that currently meet US standards? If there are, why didn't we contact them when this problem originated? For those overseas companies that haven't ever wanted to sell their baby formula here, are we now going to those companies and asking them to do so, bob? And we will hire new inspectors to ensure they meet our standards? What if they don't meet US standards? Are they going to have to change their processes to do us the favor of providing us with their products, bob? Will they be willing to do so? And why would they have extra capacity for us, when we apparently don't have the extra capacity here in the US?

And how would any of this solve the base issue as to why this escalated into a crisis in the first place?

Or are we just throwing money at the issue?

And you have just brushed off the other salient points I brought up. But that is par for the course for you.

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 20, 2022 5:30 pm

This is a great article that explains why we have a problem:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/th ... e-industry
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:31 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:14 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

The first option aligns with what I said. We can perform our own inspections (slow) or we can hire people who can review the paperwork of foreign inspections (fast). But wither way we need to hire people. --Bob
Could is the operative word.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#24 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:35 pm

Fri May 20, 2022 5:15 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
So, apparently, according to your answer, there are no overseas baby food manufacturers that currently meet US standards? If there are, why didn't we contact them when this problem originated? For those overseas companies that haven't ever wanted to sell their baby formula here, are we now going to those companies and asking them to do so, bob? And we will hire new inspectors to ensure they meet our standards? What if they don't meet US standards? Are they going to have to change their processes to do us the favor of providing us with their products, bob? Will they be willing to do so? And why would they have extra capacity for us, when we apparently don't have the extra capacity here in the US?

And how would any of this solve the base issue as to why this escalated into a crisis in the first place?
This is a crisis because 40% of our domestic manufacturing capacity unexpectedly went down when the owner of the plant that manufactures that 40% allowed it to become contaminated. Based on what gsabc reports, it appears that a criminal investigation may be in the offing because the owner may have deliberately hid the problem.

Under U.S. law, we can't just take someone's word for it that the plants pass muster. They need to be inspected. This bill provides money that will allow the FDA to accomplish that. Then we can use overseas plants that meet our standards.

They'd be more than happy to sell us formula. But the FDA hasn't been able to hire the inspectors to make that possible.

Other than allowing parents to continue to struggle to feed their kids, what is your solution? --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#25 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 20, 2022 6:10 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:35 pm
Fri May 20, 2022 5:15 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

This is a crisis because 40% of our domestic manufacturing capacity unexpectedly went down when the owner of the plant that manufactures that 40% allowed it to become contaminated. Based on what gsabc reports, it appears that a criminal investigation may be in the offing because the owner may have deliberately hid the problem.

Under U.S. law, we can't just take someone's word for it that the plants pass muster. They need to be inspected. This bill provides money that will allow the FDA to accomplish that. Then we can use overseas plants that meet our standards.

They'd be more than happy to sell us formula. But the FDA hasn't been able to hire the inspectors to make that possible.

Other than allowing parents to continue to struggle to feed their kids, what is your solution? --Bob
Bob, the plant was shut down in February. Why did the FDA and the Biden Administration wait 3 months before they did anything about it? Parents struggling to feed their kids was caused by ineptitude and burrocratic inaction by the administration you voted for. Your righteous indignation should be directed at THEM. I am 100% certain you would have egregious condemnation for the administration if it were headed by a republican, wouldn't you, bob?

I am all for doing whatever can be done to get our babies fed. But what is going to be done in the long term, bob? Same old shit? What I find disgusting is you deliberately making this crisis into a political attack on the party you have decided to try and make irrelevant. Republicans want to starve babies now? You sound like BJ. You make me sick.