How do you vote against helping parents feed their babies?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: How do you vote against helping parents feed their babies?

#26 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:10 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:35 pm
Fri May 20, 2022 5:15 pm
So, apparently, according to your answer, there are no overseas baby food manufacturers that currently meet US standards? If there are, why didn't we contact them when this problem originated? For those overseas companies that haven't ever wanted to sell their baby formula here, are we now going to those companies and asking them to do so, bob? And we will hire new inspectors to ensure they meet our standards? What if they don't meet US standards? Are they going to have to change their processes to do us the favor of providing us with their products, bob? Will they be willing to do so? And why would they have extra capacity for us, when we apparently don't have the extra capacity here in the US?

And how would any of this solve the base issue as to why this escalated into a crisis in the first place?
This is a crisis because 40% of our domestic manufacturing capacity unexpectedly went down when the owner of the plant that manufactures that 40% allowed it to become contaminated. Based on what gsabc reports, it appears that a criminal investigation may be in the offing because the owner may have deliberately hid the problem.

Under U.S. law, we can't just take someone's word for it that the plants pass muster. They need to be inspected. This bill provides money that will allow the FDA to accomplish that. Then we can use overseas plants that meet our standards.

They'd be more than happy to sell us formula. But the FDA hasn't been able to hire the inspectors to make that possible.

Other than allowing parents to continue to struggle to feed their kids, what is your solution? --Bob
Bob, the plant was shut down in February. Why did the FDA and the Biden Administration wait 3 months before they did anything about it? Parents struggling to feed their kids was caused by ineptitude and burrocratic inaction by the administration you voted for. Your righteous indignation should be directed at THEM. I am 100% certain you would have egregious condemnation for the administration if it were headed by a republican, wouldn't you, bob?

I am all for doing whatever can be done to get our babies fed. But what is going to be done in the long term, bob? Same old shit? What I find disgusting is you deliberately making it into a political attack on the party you have decided to try and make irrelevant. Republicans want to starve babies now? You sound like BJ. You make me sick.
192 House Republicans just voted against feeding babies. That's just a fact. That's what makes me sick. Your efforts to excuse or justify that vote or to change the subject are merely pathetic. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#27 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 20, 2022 6:17 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:35 pm
This is a crisis because 40% of our domestic manufacturing capacity unexpectedly went down when the owner of the plant that manufactures that 40% allowed it to become contaminated. Based on what gsabc reports, it appears that a criminal investigation may be in the offing because the owner may have deliberately hid the problem.

Under U.S. law, we can't just take someone's word for it that the plants pass muster. They need to be inspected. This bill provides money that will allow the FDA to accomplish that. Then we can use overseas plants that meet our standards.

They'd be more than happy to sell us formula. But the FDA hasn't been able to hire the inspectors to make that possible.

Other than allowing parents to continue to struggle to feed their kids, what is your solution? --Bob
Bob, the plant was shut down in February. Why did the FDA and the Biden Administration wait 3 months before they did anything about it? Parents struggling to feed their kids was caused by ineptitude and burrocratic inaction by the administration you voted for. Your righteous indignation should be directed at THEM. I am 100% certain you would have egregious condemnation for the administration if it were headed by a republican, wouldn't you, bob?

I am all for doing whatever can be done to get our babies fed. But what is going to be done in the long term, bob? Same old shit? What I find disgusting is you deliberately making it into a political attack on the party you have decided to try and make irrelevant. Republicans want to starve babies now? You sound like BJ. You make me sick.
192 House Republicans just voted against feeding babies. That's just a fact. That's what makes me sick. Your efforts to excuse or justify that vote or to change the subject are merely pathetic. --Bob
They voted against the bill that Nancy Pelosi allowed them to vote on, bob. You are no judge of what's pathetic.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#28 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 20, 2022 6:18 pm

Fri May 20, 2022 6:17 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

They voted against the bill that Nancy Pelosi allowed them to vote on, bob. You are no judge of what's pathetic.
I'm still waiting for you to propose a solution that would allow struggling parents to feed their kids. That's exactly what Speaker Pelosi did. I haven't heard why it won't work and I haven't heard how Republicans plan to solve the problem faster.

And by the way, the bill's allocation was $28 million. In comparison, we just committed $40 billion (with a "b") to the next tranche of help for Ukraine.

So go ahead and keep encouraging Republican officeholders to make parents' lives harder. I know what messaging I plan to hit when I volunteer to canvass in swing districts. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#29 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 20, 2022 7:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:18 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
I'm still waiting for you to propose a solution that would allow struggling parents to feed their kids. That's exactly what Speaker Pelosi did. I haven't heard why it won't work and I haven't heard how Republicans plan to solve the problem faster.

And by the way, the bill's allocation was $28 million. In comparison, we just committed $40 billion (with a "b") to the next tranche of help for Ukraine.

So go ahead and keep encouraging Republican officeholders to make parents' lives harder. I know what messaging I plan to hit when I volunteer to canvass in swing districts. --Bob
You do understand the Dems control the House floor and Nancy decides what they can and can't vote on, do you not, bob? They have submitted bills like Rep Mace's, which was referred to earlier and you didn't bother reading, but Nancy won't let them vote on them. So perhaps these 192 repubs, knowing it would pass regardless, voted against it for the reasons they stated. Well, maybe one or two of them really likes the idea of starving babies. You can go with that.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#30 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 pm

Fri May 20, 2022 7:09 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

You do understand the Dems control the House floor and Nancy decides what they can and can't vote on, do you not, bob? They have submitted bills like Rep Mace's, which was referred to earlier and you didn't bother reading, but Nancy won't let them vote on them. So perhaps these 192 repubs, knowing it would pass regardless, voted against it for the reasons they stated. Well, maybe one or two of them really likes the idea of starving babies. You can go with that.
I did bother reading it. It won't solve a damn thing in time to do anyone any good.

So you're okay with Republicans voting to let parents struggle to feed your kids because Democrats (who won the last election and earned the right to control the agenda) prefer that solution to the one preferred by the side that lost the election. You go with that messaging. I'll go with mine. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#31 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 20, 2022 8:31 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 pm
Fri May 20, 2022 7:09 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

I did bother reading it. It won't solve a damn thing in time to do anyone any good.

So you're okay with Republicans voting to let parents struggle to feed your kids because Democrats (who won the last election and earned the right to control the agenda) prefer that solution to the one preferred by the side that lost the election. You go with that messaging. I'll go with mine. --Bob
Bob, we all know this does not have anything to do with baby formula. You don't give a rat's ass about that. This sanctimonious rant of yours is exclusively about your hatred of republicans. isn't it, bob?

BackInTex

#32 Post by BackInTex » Sat May 21, 2022 6:24 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:14 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:01 pm
It will allow us promptly to import more formula from overseas. It will do that by hiring people to make sure that overseas plants that want to import to us are in fact meeting U.S. standards, and therefore can legally be imported. Once the money is available, this can happen fast (according to gsabc, who's spent his professional life in this world). --Bob
That is not what he said.

"The FDA could review the most recent inspections by the other agencies and accept those results at least on a contingency basis, which would expedite matters. I hope they won't wait to do their own inspections; those are intense and time-consuming."
The first option aligns with what I said. We can perform our own inspections (slow) or we can hire people who can review the paperwork of foreign inspections (fast). But either way we need to hire people. --Bob
Why do we have to hire more people? What are the folks who normally do inspections doing? Why can't existing inspectors be prioritized to do the reviews, which should take much less time than?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#33 Post by jarnon » Sat May 21, 2022 9:22 am

Fri May 20, 2022 5:15 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:01 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:06 pm
In laymen's terms, explain what this bill does and how that will fix the problem. And how whatever money this bill will spend could not be spent wiser to permanently solve the problem.
It will allow us promptly to import more formula from overseas. It will do that by hiring people to make sure that overseas plants that want to import to us are in fact meeting U.S. standards, and therefore can legally be imported. Once the money is available, this can happen fast (according to gsabc, who's spent his professional life in this world). --Bob
So, apparently, according to your answer, there are no overseas baby food manufacturers that currently meet US standards? If there are, why didn't we contact them when this problem originated? For those overseas companies that haven't ever wanted to sell their baby formula here, are we now going to those companies and asking them to do so, bob? And we will hire new inspectors to ensure they meet our standards? What if they don't meet US standards? Are they going to have to change their processes to do us the favor of providing us with their products, bob? Will they be willing to do so? And why would they have extra capacity for us, when we apparently don't have the extra capacity here in the US?

And how would any of this solve the base issue as to why this escalated into a crisis in the first place?

Or are we just throwing money at the issue?

And you have just brushed off the other salient points I brought up. But that is par for the course for you.
Up to now, the US has been self-sufficient in baby formula. Both parties agree that America shouldn’t rely on imports of essential products. Biden tells us to “Buy American” every chance he gets, and Trump touts “America First.” This crisis forced us to make an exception.

That’s not all the government is doing. They’re using the Defense Production Act to speed delivery of formula, and relaxing arbitrary WIC rules that prevented mothers from buying the formula that’s available.

Their one mistake is waiting so long to solve this crisis.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי