Interesting Jeopardy Result 5/6/22 - Spoilers)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Interesting Jeopardy Result 5/6/22 - Spoilers)

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 07, 2022 8:18 am

Background
Last night on Jeopardy, 23-day champion Mattea Roach went up against two challengers, one of whom was Danielle Maurer from Peachtree Corners, GA. Peachtree Corners is an Atlanta suburb in Gwinnett County, northeast of Atlanta. Roach went into FJ with a lead, but not a lockout lead over Maurer ($19,200-11,400). The third-place contestant had $7,400. The Final Jeopardy category was USA.
FJ Question
These 2 mayors gave their names to a facility built on the site of an old racetrack owned by Coca-Cola magnate Asa Candler
Discussion
The answer was William Hartsfield and Maynard Jackson, for whom the Atlanta airport is named. I knew this one immediately, and Maurer also got it right. Roach had no idea and guessed "Churchill" and "Downs" as a joke. I think this one would be tough for people not familiar with Atlanta, because Mayor Hartsfield, who served primarily in the 1940s and 50s, was not that familiar a name to most people. Ken Jennings felt obligated to comment that the FJ questions were chosen at random before they knew just who the contestants will be on any specific show.

Roach bet $3601, enough to give her a sure win if she got it right, so she wound up with $15,599. Maurer accordingly bet $4200 and won by one dollar with $15,600.The day before, Roach thought she had lost as well when she went into FJ in second place, but the first place contestant drew a blank on the FJ question.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Interesting Jeopardy Result 5/6/22 - Spoilers)

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 07, 2022 11:19 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:18 am
Background
Last night on Jeopardy, 23-day champion Mattea Roach went up against two challengers, one of whom was Danielle Maurer from Peachtree Corners, GA. Peachtree Corners is an Atlanta suburb in Gwinnett County, northeast of Atlanta. Roach went into FJ with a lead, but not a lockout lead over Maurer ($19,200-11,400). The third-place contestant had $7,400. The Final Jeopardy category was USA.
FJ Question
These 2 mayors gave their names to a facility built on the site of an old racetrack owned by Coca-Cola magnate Asa Candler
Discussion
The answer was William Hartsfield and Maynard Jackson, for whom the Atlanta airport is named. I knew this one immediately, and Maurer also got it right. Roach had no idea and guessed "Churchill" and "Downs" as a joke. I think this one would be tough for people not familiar with Atlanta, because Mayor Hartsfield, who served primarily in the 1940s and 50s, was not that familiar a name to most people. Ken Jennings felt obligated to comment that the FJ questions were chosen at random before they knew just who the contestants will be on any specific show.

Roach bet $3601, enough to give her a sure win if she got it right, so she wound up with $15,599. Maurer accordingly bet $4200 and won by one dollar with $15,600.The day before, Roach thought she had lost as well when she went into FJ in second place, but the first place contestant drew a blank on the FJ question.
Maurer should have gone all in. She was in second place in a crush game, which meant that if Roach made the traditional lock-out bet, Maurer's only chance was the parlay of her own correct response and Roach's wrong response. And if that's going to happen, she may as well (a) maximize her winnings, and (b) protect against the possibility that for some reason Roach underwagers. At an absolute minimum, she should have wagered to pass Roach's original score, to force Roach to come up with a correct response.

As to Final Jeopardy!, I realized they were talking about Atlanta's airport and came up with Hartsfield, but couldn't come up with Jackson. Southwest uses that airport as a hub so I've been through it plenty of times. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

Re: Interesting Jeopardy Result 5/6/22 - Spoilers)

#3 Post by earendel » Tue May 10, 2022 9:20 am

I remember when this was a question in the phone game - put the words in order. I think the four were Atlanta, Hartsfield, Jackson, and Airport (not in that order, of course).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."