Book excerpt with a new character

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

Book excerpt with a new character

#1 Post by Vandal » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:02 pm

This is excerpt from the still-in-progress third book in the Devin Drake series. I introduce a new character and a new mystery to solve. This scene takes place at an animal rescue shelter where 13 YO Devin Drake volunteers on weekends. I hope I do justice to the new character.

I made my way to the side door and out toward the kennels. Before I got too close, I realized that all the dogs were quiet, which never happened while I was at the shelter. A boy about my age was standing in front of the cages with a guitar strapped over his shoulder, strumming away. I kept my distance and observed. There were about a dozen dog cages in front of him, each cage had one or two occupants. As Tommy moved up and down the ranks, all eyes followed him, like he was some sort of a pied piper. He stopped in front of a cage with two older, mixed breed hounds who had been at the shelter for around a month, waiting for their forever home. Tommy got as close as he could and began to sing as he played. I didn’t recognize the song, but the hounds seemed to and they began to howl to match his singing. The other dogs silently watched. I kept my distance and admired the show. Tommy and the hounds finished with a flourish, and Tommy bowed to them when he was done.

Who is this kid?

“Devin Drake, I presume?” he said without turning around.

I took a step closer and my mind quickly filled with a series of images. I was on stage with lights glaring in my eyes. I could see musicians playing a song I couldn’t hear. I was playing an electric guitar. The crowd was waving their hands over their heads as we played. Then it quickly went away.

I’ve had this ability to see ghosts since around the time I turned thirteen. They appear to me in all kinds of strange ways, but this was the first time one appeared as me. I had to take a step back to calm myself. “Yes, that’s me. You must be Tommy?”

Tommy turned, slipped his guitar strap over his head and leaned the guitar against the cage. One of the hounds quickly sniffed it from the other side. “You saw them, didn’t you? You reacted just like I did the first time I saw the ghost band.”

“I’m not sure what I saw. Is that why you wanted to talk to me?”

He moved a swath of blond hair off his face and gazed right at me. “I’m so relieved to finally meet you, Devin Drake. When I asked around, yours was the only name that came up. You’re the only one who can help me with my particular problem. Will you?”

I took a few steps toward him, hoping the nearness would provide another clue about these ghost musicians. Nothing appeared. “How long have you been seeing them?”

“Please don’t come any closer! I have an anxiety disorder that kicks in when I get in close contact with others. That’s why I have a guitar and a service dog.” He put two fingers in his mouth and gave out a loud whistle. Buster came running and sat beside him. “This is Buster. I’m sure you’ve met. He helps me get through it.” Tommy’s hand reached down and rubbed Buster’s neck. “To answer your question, the ghost band came to me during the last week of school while we were playing a song at the student talent show. The next time was a few weeks later when our band was practicing in our bass player’s basement.”

“Did anyone else from your band see them?”

“No. And they thought I was bonkers when I pointed it out. Buster was with me both times and he started barking and growling at the ghosts. He’s such a good dog.”

He seemed sincere and more than a little strange. But I used to dealing with folks like him who needed help in the supernatural department. Buster looked up at me with his big brown eyes and let out a short bark, as if he had something to say. I put my hand out toward him. “May I?”

Tommy stepped back and I got down to Buster’s level. He put his paw out and I took it. Suddenly, images of the ghost band filled my head. This time they were on stage and I was in the audience. I got a good look at the lead singer, but I didn’t recognize him. There was no sound, but there was plenty of flashing lights as I watched between the swaying arms. Buster barked again and images quickly left, as if he was done showing me. I stood. “To answer your question, yes, I can help you.”

“That’s great. How much do you charge?”

“I don’t charge anything. All I ask is that you be honest with me.”

“I’m honest to a fault, as you’ll soon find out. Thanks Devin Drake.”

“You’re quite welcome, Tommy.”
Spoiler
He cringed. “First of all, you have to promise me you’ll never call me by that awful name again. My name is Thomas Bonaparte and you can spare me your Napoleon jokes. I’ve heard them all. No, we are not related.” He held out his right hand and I shook it. Buster barked. “Everyone, with the exception of my mother, calls me TBone.”
PS It’s a first draft so disregard any missing words or grammatical issues. I'll catch them eventually.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Book excerpt with a new character

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:02 pm

:!:
Well, then

wbtravis007

#3 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:25 am

That's very cool, Vandal.

Love it!
Spoiler
Like everybody else, I always admired and enjoyed him here. Until we lost him, though, I had no idea what his name was. And even then, I didn't put together the derivation of his name here, and didn't realize that it was his actual nickname until now. And, yes, I think you definitely did him justice.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:52 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:02 pm
:!:
I meant this... :D
Well, then

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:36 pm

That's really cool Vandal! A real nice thing you're doing.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)