Movie Date Night

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Movie Date Night

#1 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:19 am

4/22/2022

Mrs. BiT and I will go to our first movie together, with just us, in quite a while, probably more than a year. What are your recommendations? And why?

Here are the local choices:

The Northman
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
The Secrets of Dumbledore
Father Stu
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 <If this is your recommendation you will be ignored :)>
The Lost City
Ambulance
The Bad Guys

I'm leaning towards The Northman, but I told Mrs BiT to choose.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

tlynn78

Re: Movie Date Night

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:31 am

Saw SoD last weekend with son and the grands - it was okay.
It was weird to see replacement Grindelwald - he's no Johnny Depp, and appeared much older than Jude Law's Dumbledore, when they are supposed to be contemporaries. Special effects were pretty good, and the story moved along. Other than one cute/funny scene involving Newt Scamander, his brother and some cave-critters, not geared toward younger kids, at all.
Haven't seen any of the others.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:10 pm

Ambulance is the best film for pure action; it's two hours worth but not a whole lot else besides chases and shootouts. Best Michael Bay film in years.

Lost City is romantic adventure like Romancing the Stone good bit of action, good bit of humor. Sandra Bullock plays the same character she usually does and Channing Tatum is cute but dumb muscles.

Father Stu is inspirational but doesn't hit you over the head with it. Lots of R-rated language for this type of movie but somewhat of a tearjerker at the end.

I almost fell asleep during Fantastic Beasts. Last half hour is okay but a long slog if you're not a big fan of the franchise.

Mrs. SSS and I are going to see Massive Talent in a few minutes.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:16 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:10 pm
Mrs. SSS and I are going to see Massive Talent in a few minutes.
Wish you'd given me a bit more heads up. I still have the breakfast dishes sitting ou....oh, wait, you're probably talking about the movie. :P
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:59 pm

And the winner is
Spoiler
The Lost City. You'd think Mrs BiT would be bored with beefcake, but oh well.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:39 am

The Lost City was pretty entertaining. I must have been in the right mood as I laughed out loud many times. The comedy was predictable, yet the timing must have been a bit ahead of my internal comedic triggers as many of the slapstick type gags caught me off guard.

I don't think it is a movie that could be watched multiple times with the same enjoyment but the initial watch is worth the night out.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:37 am

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:39 am
The Lost City was pretty entertaining. I must have been in the right mood as I laughed out loud many times. The comedy was predictable, yet the timing must have been a bit ahead of my internal comedic triggers as many of the slapstick type gags caught me off guard.

I don't think it is a movie that could be watched multiple times with the same enjoyment but the initial watch is worth the night out.
It's one I want to see. I feel like it might be best enjoyed the way I did my first viewing of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I saw it at the theater with a group of friends, and found it hilarious. When it came out on dvd, my son bought it for me and I couldn't wait to sit down and watch it again, but found it not nearly as enjoyable. Then I remembered the rather large margarita-in-a-pineapple shell I'd enjoyed prior to my first viewing...
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:39 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:37 am
BackInTex wrote:

It's one I want to see. I feel like it might be best enjoyed the way I did my first viewing of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I saw it at the theater with a group of friends, and found it hilarious. When it came out on dvd, my son bought it for me and I couldn't wait to sit down and watch it again, but found it not nearly as enjoyable. Then I remembered the rather large margarita-in-a-pineapple shell I'd enjoyed prior to my first viewing...
There is plenty for you to enjoy, with or without a potent potable. Brad Pitt is pretty funny and the only nudity is of Channing Tatum's characters butt. I'm not familiar with it enough (not at all actually) to know if it is his or a body double's. You'll have plenty of time to analyze and make a determination for yourself.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:42 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:39 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:37 am
BackInTex wrote:

There is plenty for you to enjoy, with or without a potent potable. Brad Pitt is pretty funny and the only nudity is of Channing Tatum's characters butt. I'm not familiar with it enough (not at all actually) to know if it is his or a body double's. You'll have plenty of time to analyze and make a determination for yourself.
Well, I mean, purely in the interest of um, something high brow...