TV show rec: Ghosts

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

TV show rec: Ghosts

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:12 pm

There are so many checkmarks against this show (broadcast network, popular), I nearly didn't start watching it. But I did, and now have watched it all twice, except the final episode of Season 1, which airs Thursday night. They've already been picked up for Season 2, so we're not investing in a thing that won't make it.

You guys, it is charming and sweet and wonderful. It is a half-hour, so it is technically a comedy, and truly, it does lean more cute than serious. But in the way the best half-hour shows are, it is also about something.

I think it might be about family, or community.

So, first off, it's based on a British show, which you automatically get points for that.

Next, the cast is astoundingly good. My favorites are Rebbecca Wisocky, who has had to play mean women for so long that it is a delight to see her play occasional joyful, and slowly bust out of her Victorian-era attitudes, and Brandon Scott Jones, who I first met in the final season of The Good Place. But there is not an actor dud among the group.

Which leads us to our next point - that there are a gob of ghosts, so if there's one you hate, just wait a minute and they will go offscreen. Several earlier episodes didn't even have the entire cast.

Oh, and as is also the case with all of my favorite half-hour shows, there is no audience. They are not trapped in one or two sets, and can move around, though most scenes are in fact in the mansion. But they can go out on the grounds and even into town.

If you give it a try and you're wavering, promise me you will go through episode 6 (there are 18 22-minute episodes), with a storyline about Pete and another about Hetty and Thor. If one of those doesn't click into place for you and you see what I mean about heart and community, then it's OK to stop.

It's a CBS show, so it should be available on Paramount+, I would think (we still have cable, so we watch it through the On Demand thingy). Probably also Hulu.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

lilclyde54

Re: TV show rec: Ghosts

#2 Post by lilclyde54 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:32 pm

So far, we have watched a couple of random episodes (i.e I don't know which episode # they were) and liked them enough that we will probably go back and start at the beginning as soon as we finish our current binge show.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:55 pm

Will check it out. Did you ever watch the vampire one, what we do in the shadows? It's amusing.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:57 pm

I saw True Blood but that's the only vampire one for me. I nearly threw up every time it came on, with that high-speed decomposing critter in the swamp. I liked the allegory of of the politics of coming out of the coffin. Plus, they were nearly all disproportionately good-looking. Like most shows that start off well, it went completely off the rails by the end.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:06 pm

What we do in the shadows is funny and has screwy characters. Not like True Blood.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:02 pm

I will put it on our list, which never seems to shrink.
--------

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:14 pm

My wife nd I have really enjoyed the first season and are looking forward to season 2.

The lack of laugh trail is refreshing! That kills so many sitcoms for me.

It’ll be interesting to see where the show goes once all the ghosts have had “their episode” that explains their demise. Perhaps this has happened already.

And it’s still funny that the older ghosts casually use “sucked off” (leaving the ghostly world) without knowing the modern meaning.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:01 pm

Vandal wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:14 pm

And it’s still funny that the older ghosts casually use “sucked off” (leaving the ghostly world) without knowing the modern meaning.
And "going down," for that one instance.

Eh, all the rest of this is spoilers, only for those who have seen the show.
Spoiler
As for future plots, they introduced a brand-new (to us) ghost in the finale, which, maybe because of where that house is, they can interact next season? For all we know, there are ten more of them in the attic, asleep.

I DO want to know Hetty's ghost power, and hope it is naughty. Because that wouldn't suit her! I think she is my favorite character, and either she or Thor has shown the most growth this season. Or maybe Isaac's courage counts. Anyway, it's fun that it's worth a debate.

But here is the best speculation of all:

What if them falling into the basement means Jay hit his head and now HE can see the ghosts? And what if Sam hits hers and she CAN'T?!!!
--------

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:19 pm

I love this show and think that of the two Skoop suggested, it's about family.

I have no idea how I managed to see two episodes. On alternate Thursdays I have Planning Commission or online bridge, and if there's a fifth Thursday, I play bridge.

My favorite character is the singer Alberta. She's great! I love how she's played by Danielle Pinnock.

I hope I can watch next season.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller