A conservatard's idea of "critical race theory" in math

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Re: A conservatard's idea of "critical race theory" in math

#26 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:27 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:24 am
BackInTex wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:31 am
silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:03 pm

Racial discrimination in hiring is still common as evidenced by studies in which applicants who sent in resumes with "black-sounding" names were considerably less likely to get called for interviews. Blacks and other minorities are underrepresented in higher-paying and managerial/executive positions.
What is a "black-sounding" name, and how do you answer that without being racist?
Here is the class list of first names of the students I teach. Ten of them are African-American and I would bet that you could pick out more than half of them.

Abigail
Adyson
Alan
Alexis
Aurora
Brandon
Cailyn
Caleigh
Cesar
Charon
Cheyanna
Clarissa
Conner
Davion
DeJuan
Derrick
Diego
Elijah
Isaiah
Jaidyn
JaMarquis
Jameir
Jamie
Jayla
Jordan
Kahlik
Kaitlyn
Kayden
Kyle
Madison
Maitland
Matthew
Nicholas
Noah
Seth
Tamara
I see three I'd classify as 'sounding' black.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

flockofseagulls104

#27 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:09 pm

kroxquo wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Racial discrimination in hiring is still common as evidenced by studies in which applicants who sent in resumes with "black-sounding" names were considerably less likely to get called for interviews. Blacks and other minorities are underrepresented in higher-paying and managerial/executive positions.
What is a "black-sounding" name, and how do you answer that without being racist?
Here is the class list of first names of the students I teach. Ten of them are African-American and I would bet that you could pick out more than half of them.

Abigail
Adyson
Alan
Alexis
Aurora
Brandon
Cailyn
Caleigh
Cesar
Charon
Cheyanna
Clarissa
Conner
Davion
DeJuan
Derrick
Diego
Elijah
Isaiah
Jaidyn
JaMarquis
Jameir
Jamie
Jayla
Jordan
Kahlik
Kaitlyn
Kayden
Kyle
Madison
Maitland
Matthew
Nicholas
Noah
Seth
Tamara
When, for God's sake, are we ever going to get past this?
Even if I bothered to look and classify their names, what do you think I would do with that information? What do you think most people would do? And on what do you base that opinion?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#28 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:17 pm

BackInTex wrote:

There have been a number of similar studies in recent years. Here's one.

Mass fake resume study reveals scale of systematic racial discrimination in the U.S. labor market
Researchers performed a ‘huge litmus test’ for racial discrimination among the U.S. labor market by sending functional applications that had either White or Black names to job ads. These job application forms were sent in pairs with almost identical qualifications, just their names differed. After performing statistical analysis, scientists found evidence for systematic racial discrimination, with Black applications receiving significantly fewer callbacks from prospective employers than White applications.

The economists at the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of Chicago, conducted the largest discrimination audit so far, sending over 83,000 fake job applications for entry-level positions at 108 companies. The vast majority of these companies were in the top 100 of the Fortune 500, so the study covers some of the nation’s biggest employers, who by now should have robust anti-discrimination hiring procedures.

While the applicants’ characteristics, such as age, sexual orientation, work experience, and education were randomized, the names were chosen on purpose to ensure the applications came in pairs. One application had a distinctively White name — like Connor or Amy — while the other, very similar application sent to the same job listing had a distinctively Black name — like DeShawn or Aaliyah.

The findings were perhaps not all that surprising. On average, applicants with distinctively Black names were about 10% less likely to be contacted than job seekers with White names. However, the discrimination was not uniform among the companies that received the fictitious resumes. For many, there was no distinguishable pattern of discrimination beyond random noise, which suggests they’ve done a good job at laying the groundwork for a fair employment process.

That can’t be said about 23 companies that exhibited a significant bias towards selecting applications with distinctively White names despite the fact that they had equally qualified applicants with Black names to choose from. These companies were not explicitly called out in the researchers’ report, but their identities may have been shared with the U.S. Labor Department, which was briefed on the general findings.

The top 20% of firms from the study accounted for roughly 50% of the total discrimination. For every 1,000 applications, White candidates received around 250 callbacks, compared to 230 for Black job seekers. But among one-fifth of companies, this gap grew to 50 callbacks on average. In many instances, it seems, the most impact when writing your resume may be in what name it’s penned under rather than the actual background.

There was no sign of geographical discrimination, in that job applications in the South, for instance, fare no worse than anywhere else. Instead, race discrimination seems to cluster in certain industries, particularly auto, retail, and food. Discrimination against Black applications was also more prevalent in companies that are less profitable, are FED contractors, and have a decentralized hiring system. These latter findings suggest that a more uniform and robust human resources policy may be important in controlling bias and reducing discrimination in the labor market, according to Evan Rose, an economist at the University of Chicago’s Becker Friedman Institute and one of the authors of the new study.

This isn’t the first study that creatively employed fake resumes to expose racial discrimination in the hiring process. As the New York Times reported, a 2003 study responded with fictitious resumes signed by “very African American sounding name or a very White sounding name” to help-wanted ads in Boston and Chicago newspapers. They found White names received 50% more callbacks for interviews, on average. A more recent similar study from 2014 employed 9,000 resumes from fictitious, recently-graduated job seekers, finding that Black applications receive approximately 14% fewer interview requests than their otherwise identical White counterparts.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#29 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:19 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:09 pm
Even if I bothered to look and classify their names, what do you think I would do with that information? What do you think most people would do? And on what do you base that opinion?
Well, it doesn't matter what you would do or most people would do. It matters what the people in charge of hiring do, and the evidence shows that they call applicants with "white" sounding names substantially more often for interviews that those with "black" sounding names.

kroxquo

#30 Post by kroxquo » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:39 pm

kroxquo wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Here is the class list of first names of the students I teach. Eleven of them are African-American and I would bet that you could pick out more than half of them.

Abigail
Adyson
Alan
Alexis
Aurora
Brandon
Cailyn
Caleigh
Cesar
Charon
Cheyanna
Clarissa
Conner
Davion
DeJuan
Derrick
Diego
Elijah
Isaiah
Jaidyn
JaMarquis
Jameir
Jamie
Jayla
Jordan
Kahlik
Kaitlyn
Kayden
Kyle
Madison
Maitland
Matthew
Nicholas
Noah
Seth
Tamara
Ty'Jon
Since I know you won't look at SSS's link, I'm going to post the link to a scientific study of the bias in hiring practices based on "Black" names.

https://www.zmescience.com/science/mass ... or-market/

I can also give you some anecdotal evidence. I have often talked about my daughter Janneke. Her name is Dutch, however many people who see the name don't make that association. In fact, I once had an African-American student make the comment that she has a "ghetto name." (The student's exact words). In some of the interviews she did while running for office or in her battle with Apple, more than once she was told that the interviewer was surprised that she is white when they met in person. She also tried a job search experiment where she sent her resume to different companies using her first name and the identical resume to the same companies using her middle name, Georgia. The result - significantly more call backs for Georgia than for Janneke.

What I think most people would do is make assumptions based on the names, and the assumptions toward "Black" names is not positive.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

flockofseagulls104

#31 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:54 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:39 pm
kroxquo wrote:

Here is the class list of first names of the students I teach. Eleven of them are African-American and I would bet that you could pick out more than half of them.

Abigail
Adyson
Alan
Alexis
Aurora
Brandon
Cailyn
Caleigh
Cesar
Charon
Cheyanna
Clarissa
Conner
Davion
DeJuan
Derrick
Diego
Elijah
Isaiah
Jaidyn
JaMarquis
Jameir
Jamie
Jayla
Jordan
Kahlik
Kaitlyn
Kayden
Kyle
Madison
Maitland
Matthew
Nicholas
Noah
Seth
Tamara
Ty'Jon
Since I know you won't look at SSS's link, I'm going to post the link to a scientific study of the bias in hiring practices based on "Black" names.

https://www.zmescience.com/science/mass ... or-market/

I can also give you some anecdotal evidence. I have often talked about my daughter Janneke. Her name is Dutch, however many people who see the name don't make that association. In fact, I once had an African-American student make the comment that she has a "ghetto name." (The student's exact words). In some of the interviews she did while running for office or in her battle with Apple, more than once she was told that the interviewer was surprised that she is white when they met in person. She also tried a job search experiment where she sent her resume to different companies using her first name and the identical resume to the same companies using her middle name, Georgia. The result - significantly more call backs for Georgia than for Janneke.

What I think most people would do is make assumptions based on the names, and the assumptions toward "Black" names is not positive.
I have said MANY times. For every 'scientific' study you can find, I can find one better. The stalker can stick his studies where it don't shine. Along with everything else he writes.

So, what is the answer to my question? What do I do to END RACISM?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#32 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:02 pm

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:54 pm
So, what is the answer to my question? What do I do to END RACISM?
For starters, stop denying it still exists by claiming you can (but never do) find reputable studies to that effect.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#33 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:10 pm

kroxquo wrote:
I can give you another example. A few years ago I had a client who made a lot of sales phone calls. He used the name Phillips. That's because, he recounted, it was much easier for Mr. Phillips to get his phone calls accepted, particularly in the South, than it was for Mr. Nussbaum (his actual name) to get his calls accepted. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#34 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:04 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:10 pm
kroxquo wrote:
I can give you another example. A few years ago I had a client who made a lot of sales phone calls. He used the name Phillips. That's because, he recounted, it was much easier for Mr. Phillips to get his phone calls accepted, particularly in the South, than it was for Mr. Nussbaum (his actual name) to get his calls accepted. --Bob
Are you saying there may have been Jewish bias or German bias?
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#35 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:21 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:04 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
kroxquo wrote:
I'm attributing the phenomenon he reported to anti-Semitism. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#36 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:26 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:21 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I think it's resistance to telemarketing.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#37 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:26 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
I think Flock hit it.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#38 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:31 pm

Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:26 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Then he'd have gotten the same response introducing himself as Nussbaum as he did introducing himself as Phillips. That's not what happened (according to him). --Bob

BackInTex

#39 Post by BackInTex » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:33 pm

Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:19 pm
Well, it doesn't matter what you would do or most people would do. It matters what the people in charge of hiring do, and the evidence shows that they call applicants with "white" sounding names substantially more often for interviews that those with "black" sounding names.
Is this a double-blind study where fake resumes were sent in? I'm interested in where your data comes from.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#40 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:39 pm

Cesar
Davion
DeJuan
Elijah
Isaiah
Jaidyn
JaMarquis
Jameir
Jayla
Tamara
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#41 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:40 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:33 pm
Is this a double-blind study where fake resumes were sent in? I'm interested in where your data comes from.
You don't seem to want to answer the question I posed. Little surprise there.

flockofseagulls104

#42 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:41 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:39 pm
Cesar
Davion
DeJuan
Elijah
Isaiah
Jaidyn
JaMarquis
Jameir
Jayla
Tamara
Good for you. You are now practicing racism. Whatcha gonna do with that?
So you just going to ignore my request of you? Too hard to think for yourself, or would you rather just keep digging up Klan pictures to throw at me?
Last edited by flockofseagulls104 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Juch

#43 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:44 pm

Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:41 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Cesar
Davion
DeJuan
Elijah
Isaiah
Jaidyn
JaMarquis
Jameir
Jayla
Tamara
No, I'd be practicing racism if I used a person's name to discriminate against them.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#44 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:44 pm

BackInTex wrote:
If these are the same studies I remember reading about, the answer is yes. The studies were conducted (if memory serves) by an agency within the Department of Labor -- probably FEHA. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#45 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:44 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:44 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Cesar
Davion
DeJuan
Elijah
Isaiah
Jaidyn
JaMarquis
Jameir
Jayla
Tamara
No, I'd be practicing racism if I used a person's name to discriminate against them.
So you assume everyone else is doing it, but not you?

Bob Juch

#46 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:04 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

Where did I say "everyone else"?

It's not racist to notice that someone is of a different race.

flockofseagulls104

#47 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:19 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:04 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

What is racist? Why do you seem to think I am one?

Bob Juch

#48 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:32 pm

Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:19 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

I've never accused you of being racist.

silverscreenselect

#49 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:18 pm

BackInTex wrote:
I noted this in the quote earlier in this thread. I'd point out that this isn't the only study to result in similar findings, only one of the more comprehensive.
The economists at the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of Chicago, conducted the largest discrimination audit so far, sending over 83,000 fake job applications for entry-level positions at 108 companies. The vast majority of these companies were in the top 100 of the Fortunate 500, so the study covers some of the nation’s biggest employers, who by now should have robust anti-discrimination hiring procedures. While the applicants’ characteristics, such as age, sexual orientation, work experience, and education were randomized, the names were chosen on purpose to ensure the applications came in pairs. One application had a distinctively White name — like Connor or Amy — while the other, very similar application sent to the same job listing had a distinctively Black name — like DeShawn or Aaliyah. Here’s a resume example:
I don't know how you do a study like this as a double blind. All they did was measure how many employers responded to each resume. The resume was tied to the individual's "name." A company would respond "Dear Connor, we'd like you to contact us for an interview" or something like that.

flockofseagulls104

#50 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:21 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:32 pm
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:19 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

I've never accused you of being racist.
Oh, really, now? Where did I get my avatar? What did you send to me just a week ago?
bob could go on a self-righteous rant about how those things would permanently scar me for life!!!!!! But that's not his bag.
But you don't think that deeply, do you? You actually believe that there are republicans that WANT poison air, dirty water and tainted food, right?

So go on and tell me how you didn't really mean it. How I'm taking you out of context.
Meanwhile, tell me how I'm not doing my part to END RACISM and how you are.