A conservatard's idea of "critical race theory" in math

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Re: A conservatard's idea of "critical race theory" in math

#51 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:00 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:21 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:32 pm
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:19 pm

What is racist? Why do you seem to think I am one?
I've never accused you of being racist.
Oh, really, now? Where did I get my avatar? What did you send to me just a week ago?
bob could go on a self-righteous rant about how those things would permanently scar me for life!!!!!! But that's not his bag.
But you don't think that deeply, do you? You actually believe that there are republicans that WANT poison air, dirty water and tainted food, right?

So go on and tell me how you didn't really mean it. How I'm taking you out of context.
Meanwhile, tell me how I'm not doing my part to END RACISM and how you are.
Bill the Butcher was an anti-immigrant nationalist.

What I sent you was an America First Party parade. My intent was to say, "Do you really want to be associated with these folks?"
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

kroxquo

#52 Post by kroxquo » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:25 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:39 pm
Cesar
Davion
DeJuan
Elijah
Isaiah
Jaidyn
JaMarquis
Jameir
Jayla
Tamara
8 out of 10. Cesar is LatinX and Elijah is white. Charon (boy's name pronounced shuh-RON) and Kahlik are the other two.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

flockofseagulls104

#53 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:58 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:00 pm
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:21 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:32 pm

I've never accused you of being racist.
Oh, really, now? Where did I get my avatar? What did you send to me just a week ago?
bob could go on a self-righteous rant about how those things would permanently scar me for life!!!!!! But that's not his bag.
But you don't think that deeply, do you? You actually believe that there are republicans that WANT poison air, dirty water and tainted food, right?

So go on and tell me how you didn't really mean it. How I'm taking you out of context.
Meanwhile, tell me how I'm not doing my part to END RACISM and how you are.
Bill the Butcher was an anti-immigrant nationalist.

What I sent you was an America First Party parade. My intent was to say, "Do you really want to be associated with these folks?"
You might want to be a little more careful with the shit you post. If you want to make accusations, I suggest you do it spell it out specifically instead of being snide and stupid about it.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#54 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:20 pm

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:58 pm
If you want to make accusations, I suggest you do it spell it out specifically instead of being snide and stupid about it.
You mean like you do all the time.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#55 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:44 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:25 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:39 pm
Cesar
Davion
DeJuan
Elijah
Isaiah
Jaidyn
JaMarquis
Jameir
Jayla
Tamara
8 out of 10. Cesar is LatinX and Elijah is white. Charon (boy's name pronounced shuh-RON) and Kahlik are the other two.
I see. Kahlik is a Persian name unless it is Catholic.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#56 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:30 pm

As Paul Harvey would say, "And now, the rest of the story."

The Florida DOE has released a couple of examples of what it considers objectionable material in these texts. The first is an exercise that says:

"What? Me? Racist? More than 2 million people have tested their racial prejudice using an online version of the Implicit Association Test. Most groups' average scores fall between 'slight' and 'moderate' bias, but the difference between groups, by age and by political identification, are intriguing. In this Exercise, you will be working with models that measure bias:

S = 0.3x3 - 2.8x2 + 6.7x + 30
S = -0.03x3 + 0.2x2 + 2.3x + 24

In each model, S represents the score on the Implicit Association Test. In the first model, x represents age group. In the second model, x represents political affiliation."

The text then presents a couple of bar charts breaking down relative levels of bias by age and political affiliation. If you're thinking that textbooks when you grew up didn't talk about ways to measure implied racism, you'd be correct. If you're thinking that the level of math sophistication in this problem is beyond what most high school students would learn, that's also correct. I didn't learn about concepts like this until my college statistics class. And it turns out that this does NOT come from any high school text. Instead, it comes from a book entitled "Thinking Mathematically," which is a 1000-page textbook for a Mathematics for College Liberal Arts class. The quoted material takes up part of one page in the text. And this text would only have been available to high school students to read on their own, on-line, not part of any standard curriculum.

The only other example of "objectionable" material that I could find that the DOE provided was a lesson plan for a math course, apparently for first graders (they were supposed to identify the numbers 1 to 5 in sequence from smallest to largest). One of the course objectives was "students build proficiency with social awareness as they practice empathizing with classmates." Translated into elementary school language, it means helping out a classmate who's having trouble.

But wait, there's still more. There is the rest of the rest of the story.

The issue isn't the texts that were rejected, but, rather those that passed muster.
Tallahassee Democrat 4/19/22 wrote:[T]he only publisher approved by Gov. Ron DeSantis and the Florida Department of Education for K-5 mathematics is Accelerate Learning, a company out of Houston, Texas. “In the subject area as large as mathematics for grades K through five, it is unusual for there only to be one publisher to choose from," said Billy Epting, assistant superintendent for academic services for Leon County Schools.

The Florida DOE rejected more than 50 mathematics textbooks — about 40% of those submitted — for failing to meet Florida’s new learning standards or because they “contained prohibited topics” that included references to critical race theory. For regular math classes, Accelerate Learning's STEMscopes Florida Math books are the only option for school districts.

The Carlyle Group, a global investment firm, acquired Accelerate Learning on Dec. 20, 2018, according to the firm's website. During that time, Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin was the co-CEO of the firm. After 25 years with the company, Youngkin resigned in 2020 to run for office in Virginia. The first thing Youngkin did as governor of Virginia was sign an executive order to "end the use of inherently divisive concepts, including critical race theory, and restoring excellence in K-12 public education in the commonwealth," a measure that's comparable to DeSantis' "Stop WOKE Act."
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/ ... 357965001/

So, as a result of the DOE action, the only company whose texts are approved for standard math classes in the entire state is owned by The Carlyle Group, an investment firm where Glenn Youngkin worked for 25 years and was CEO before he ran for governor. Nothing suspicious here. Just one Republican hand scratching the other and pocketing some big bucks while useful idiots like Flock drool all over sticking it to the liberals once again.

silverscreenselect

#57 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:43 am

Great minds think alike. This is an English translation of a Ukrainian webpage, so the phrasing is awkward at times:
On February 24, Vladimir Putin announced the start of a "special operation" and Russian troops invaded Ukraine. Immediately after that, employees of the Enlightenment group of companies, one of the largest and oldest publishers of educational and pedagogical literature in the country, were urged to remove the “incorrect” references to Ukraine and Kyiv from all school textbooks. "Mediazona" talked with the editors of the publishing house about how the "cleansing" of history, geography and literature is going on.

After the start of the war in Ukraine, the employees of the Prosveshcheniye received an unspoken order from the leadership to minimize the mention of Ukraine and Kyiv in Russian school textbooks. Three editors of the publishing house told about this "Mediazona". They all requested anonymity; the request to remove “incorrect” references to Ukraine was conveyed by the authorities to their subordinates at a “confidential” meeting. In addition, the interlocutors of Mediazona explain that each employee of Enlightenment, when hiring, signs “a huge number of documents on non-disclosure of official information” - violation of such agreements threatens with instant dismissal.

According to the editors of the publishing house, after the start of the war, dismissal also threatens for any manifestation of an anti-war position - signatures on petitions, posts on social networks, participation in protests. “We are a publishing house that publishes literature that influences the minds of the younger generation. Refrain from expressing on social networks a point of view that is different from the official one, ”one of the Prosveshcheniya employees retells the words of the leadership.

Mediazona's sources are confident that the authorities are ready to carry out their threats. Previously, the publishing house has already been fired for political statements in social networks: one of the editors of the department of historical literature lost his job for a post on Facebook. “No one forcibly dragged you here, so if you are not satisfied, write a statement,” this, according to the employees, was the position of the management.

The course towards “cleansing” Ukraine and Kyiv from textbooks was taken much earlier, mediazona’s interlocutors recall — after 2014, textbook authors and editors tried to mention Ukraine as rarely and as carefully as possible. But even taking into account the “cleansing” that has lasted over the past years, after February 24, according to the editors, they had to “write about 15% of the texts.” So, from paragraphs that give examples of the heraldry of different states, including flags, a few years ago it was strongly recommended to remove the flag of Ukraine and replace it with the flag of any other country. If it is necessary to give an example of the capital in the chapter, Kyiv was replaced by another capital. “A couple of times I had to remove the US flag as well, but it’s simpler there, our program pays little attention to world history,” says one of the Enlightenment employees. Now editors should remove references to Ukraine wherever possible.

“That is, we are faced with the task of making it as if Ukraine simply does not exist,” his colleague says. “It's much worse when the textbook just doesn't mention a country. A person grows up without a knowledge base about some country, and then it is much easier for him to believe what he is told about it from TV.

The hardest part is for those who work on history textbooks: it is often impossible to remove references to Ukraine and Kyiv without compromising the content, then you have to change the wording to more “safe” ones. But if there is an opportunity, it is better not to mention Ukraine in principle. Kyiv is usually now mentioned in the context of the fact that it was the capital of Kievan Rus, and that we liberated Kyiv, the editor says.

According to him, the context is important: “You can mention how we saved Kyiv, but it is no longer possible to talk about any independence of Ukraine as a country.” Once we mention that Kievan Rus was formed, and then we simply call it Rus, there is no more Kievan Rus. And Kyiv is its capital,” explains one of the employees of the “Prosveshchenie”. - No matter how strange it may sound, but ideally [it is necessary] to replace the line that "Vladimir baptized Kyiv" with the words that he "baptized the capital."
https://zona.media/article/2022/04/23/enlightenment (You'll need to translate the page.)

Flock and Ron DeSantis would approve.

Bob Juch

#58 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:47 am

The organization helping spearhead the Florida book bans and other attacks on our freedoms, Florida Citizens Alliance, lists one of its strategic partners as the Florida Oath Keepers on its website.

BackInTex

#59 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:20 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:43 am
Great minds think alike. This is an English translation of a Ukrainian webpage, so the phrasing is awkward at times:
On February 24, Vladimir Putin announced the start of a "special operation" and Russian troops invaded Ukraine. Immediately after that, employees of the Enlightenment group of companies, one of the largest and oldest publishers of educational and pedagogical literature in the country, were urged to remove the “incorrect” references to Ukraine and Kyiv from all school textbooks. "Mediazona" talked with the editors of the publishing house about how the "cleansing" of history, geography and literature is going on.

After the start of the war in Ukraine, the employees of the Prosveshcheniye received an unspoken order from the leadership to minimize the mention of Ukraine and Kyiv in Russian school textbooks. Three editors of the publishing house told about this "Mediazona". They all requested anonymity; the request to remove “incorrect” references to Ukraine was conveyed by the authorities to their subordinates at a “confidential” meeting. In addition, the interlocutors of Mediazona explain that each employee of Enlightenment, when hiring, signs “a huge number of documents on non-disclosure of official information” - violation of such agreements threatens with instant dismissal.

According to the editors of the publishing house, after the start of the war, dismissal also threatens for any manifestation of an anti-war position - signatures on petitions, posts on social networks, participation in protests. “We are a publishing house that publishes literature that influences the minds of the younger generation. Refrain from expressing on social networks a point of view that is different from the official one, ”one of the Prosveshcheniya employees retells the words of the leadership.

Mediazona's sources are confident that the authorities are ready to carry out their threats. Previously, the publishing house has already been fired for political statements in social networks: one of the editors of the department of historical literature lost his job for a post on Facebook. “No one forcibly dragged you here, so if you are not satisfied, write a statement,” this, according to the employees, was the position of the management.

The course towards “cleansing” Ukraine and Kyiv from textbooks was taken much earlier, mediazona’s interlocutors recall — after 2014, textbook authors and editors tried to mention Ukraine as rarely and as carefully as possible. But even taking into account the “cleansing” that has lasted over the past years, after February 24, according to the editors, they had to “write about 15% of the texts.” So, from paragraphs that give examples of the heraldry of different states, including flags, a few years ago it was strongly recommended to remove the flag of Ukraine and replace it with the flag of any other country. If it is necessary to give an example of the capital in the chapter, Kyiv was replaced by another capital. “A couple of times I had to remove the US flag as well, but it’s simpler there, our program pays little attention to world history,” says one of the Enlightenment employees. Now editors should remove references to Ukraine wherever possible.

“That is, we are faced with the task of making it as if Ukraine simply does not exist,” his colleague says. “It's much worse when the textbook just doesn't mention a country. A person grows up without a knowledge base about some country, and then it is much easier for him to believe what he is told about it from TV.

The hardest part is for those who work on history textbooks: it is often impossible to remove references to Ukraine and Kyiv without compromising the content, then you have to change the wording to more “safe” ones. But if there is an opportunity, it is better not to mention Ukraine in principle. Kyiv is usually now mentioned in the context of the fact that it was the capital of Kievan Rus, and that we liberated Kyiv, the editor says.

According to him, the context is important: “You can mention how we saved Kyiv, but it is no longer possible to talk about any independence of Ukraine as a country.” Once we mention that Kievan Rus was formed, and then we simply call it Rus, there is no more Kievan Rus. And Kyiv is its capital,” explains one of the employees of the “Prosveshchenie”. - No matter how strange it may sound, but ideally [it is necessary] to replace the line that "Vladimir baptized Kyiv" with the words that he "baptized the capital."
https://zona.media/article/2022/04/23/enlightenment (You'll need to translate the page.)

Flock and Ron DeSantis would approve.
Not that I'm on the side of those in power, but how is this different than removing Confederate statues and renaming schools that were named for men who served the confederacy, even as a private (e.g. Sydney Lanier, the first high school I attended)?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#60 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:21 am

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:20 am
Not that I'm on the side of those in power, but how is this different than removing Confederate statues and renaming schools that were named for men who served the confederacy, even as a private (e.g. Sydney Lanier, the first high school I attended)?
The Sidney Lanier decision may have been an overreaction to the Dylann Roof murders (there are still a number of locations in Georgia named after Lanier). But in general the decision to erect statues and name or rename public facilities after Confederate leaders was an attempt by those in power in the South in the late 1800s and early 1900s to thumb their noses at the federal government and extol the virtues of the Confederacy. Another mass renaming of schools occurred in the 1950s in response to Brown v. Board of Education and the Civil Rights struggle. Interestingly, you don't see any statues or memorials in Germany to Nazi leaders, and there is no Hermann Goering High School.
An overwhelming majority of Confederate memorials weren’t erected in the years directly following the Civil War. Instead, most were put up decades later. Nor were they built just to commemorate fallen generals and soldiers; they were installed as symbols of white supremacy during periods of U.S. history when Black Americans’ civil rights were aggressively under attack. In total, at least 830 such monuments were constructed across the U.S, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which maintains a comprehensive database of Confederate monuments and symbols.

The biggest spike in Confederate memorials came during the early 1900s, soon after Southern states enacted a number of sweeping laws to disenfranchise Black Americans and segregate society. During this period, more than 400 monuments were built as part of an organized strategy to reshape Civil War history. And this effort was largely spearheaded by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, who sponsored hundreds of statues, predominantly in the South in the early 20th century — and as recently as 2011.

“The UDC was very focused on the future,” said Karen Cox, a historian, University of North Carolina at Charlotte professor and author of numerous articles and books on Southern history and culture, including “Dixie’s Daughters: The United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Preservation of Confederate Culture.” “Their goal, in all the work that they did, was to prepare future generations of white Southerners to respect and defend the principles of the Confederacy.” It wasn’t just Confederate monuments, either. They also rejected any school textbook that said slavery was the central cause of the Civil War; they praised the Ku Klux Klan and gave speeches that distorted the cruelty of American slavery and defended slave owners.

From around 1920 to the early 1940s, there was a second wave of statue building. Jane Dailey, professor of American history at the University of Chicago, said this period of construction coincided with more Black Americans’ fighting for civil rights and pushing back against widespread lynchings in the South. “You have Black soldiers who have just fought for their country [in World War I] and fought to make the world safe for democracy, coming back to an America that's determined to lynch them,” said Dailey. “[T]hose were very clearly white supremacist monuments and are designed to intimidate, not just memorialize.”

And a significant portion of those monuments were erected on courthouse grounds. According to Lecia Brooks of the Southern Poverty Law Center, placing these memorials on courthouse property, especially in the 1950s and ’60s, was meant to remind Black Americans of the struggle and subjugation they would face in their fight for civil rights and equal protection under the law. Black Americans have long understood the symbolism of those monuments. “I know what this statue means,” said Brooks. “It's a reminder to stay in my place.”

Not just statues were erected during this period, either. Following the landmark Brown versus Board of Education decision in 1954, which said maintaining racially segregated schools was unconstitutional, there was an uptick in the number of colleges and schools named after Confederate soldiers and generals: From 1954 to 1970, at least 45 were named after Confederates.

As soon as you get the federal government supporting Black students in schools,” said Brooks — including talk of busing and integrating segregated schools — then you had the reassertion of white supremacy, this time in the form of school names. “‘OK, we're going to name this school so, again, you can be reminded,’” she said.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/co ... e-statues/

As a sidenote, those who most ardently oppose the teaching of what they claim is "critical race theory" in schools have no problem with the whitewashing of US history that occurred for decades after the Civil War.

silverscreenselect

#61 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:24 am

Great minds think alike #2:
A California man was arrested on Tuesday, April 20, 2022 and charged in federal court in Springfield, Mass. in connection with making threats against Merriam-Webster, Inc. Jeremy David Hanson, 34, of Rossmoor, Calif., was charged by criminal complaint with one count of interstate communication of threats to commit violence. Hanson was released on conditions following an initial appearance in federal court in the Central District of California. Hanson will appear before U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge Katherine A. Robertson in federal court in Springfield on April 29, 2022.

“Hate-filled threats and intimidations have no place in our society,” said United States Attorney Rachael S. Rollins. “We believe Hanson sent a multitude of anonymous threatening and despicable messages related to the LGBTQ community that were intended to evoke fear and division. My office and our law enforcement partners will not tolerate threats against members of our communities, no matter what corner of the internet they’re sent from. Perpetrators will be identified, arrested, and held accountable in federal court.”

“Jeremy Hanson is accused of making hate-fueled threats of violence that crossed a line,” said Joseph R. Bonavolonta, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI Boston Division. “Everyone has a right to express their opinion, but repeatedly threatening to kill people, as has been alleged, takes it to a new level. We are always going to pursue individuals who try to intimidate and isolate members of our community by inciting violent, hateful acts. Threats to life are most certainly not protected speech and they cause real fear in victims. Rest assured, the FBI will do everything we can to bring to justice anyone who commits these criminal acts.”

According to the criminal complaint, between Oct. 2 and Oct. 8, 2021, Springfield-based Merriam-Webster, Inc. received various threatening messages and comments demonstrating bias against specific gender identities submitted through its website’s “Contact Us” page and in the comments section on its webpages that corresponded to the word entries for “Girl” and “Woman.” Authorities later identified the user as Hanson. As a result of the threats, Merriam-Webster closed its offices in Springfield and New York City for approximately five business days.

Specifically, it is alleged that on Oct. 2, 2021, Hanson used the handle “@anonYmous” to post the following comment on the dictionary’s website definition of “female”: “It is absolutely sickening that Merriam-Webster now tells blatant lies and promotes anti-science propaganda. There is no such thing as ‘gender identity.’ The imbecile who wrote this entry should be hunted down and shot.”

Hanson also allegedly sent the following threatening message via the website’s “Contact Us” page: “You [sic] headquarters should be shot up and bombed. It is sickening that you have caved to the cultural Marxist, anti-science tranny [sic] agenda and altered the definition of ‘female’ as part of the Left’s efforts to corrupt and degrade the English language and deny reality. You evil Marxists should all be killed. It would be poetic justice to have someone storm your offices and shoot up the place, leaving none of you commies alive.”

It is further alleged that on Oct. 8, 2021, Hanson posted another threatening comment on the dictionary’s website and a threatening message via the “Contact Us” page that threatened to “bomb your offices for lying and creating fake…”. The investigation identified numerous related threats, including to the American Civil Liberties Union, Amnesty International, Land O’ Lakes, Hasbro, Inc., IGN Entertainment, the President of the University of North Texas, two professors at Loyola Marymount University and a New York City rabbi.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/cali ... -community

BackInTex

#62 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:39 am

Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:21 am

As a sidenote, those who most ardently oppose the teaching of what they claim is "critical race theory" in schools have no problem with the whitewashing of US history that occurred for decades after the Civil War.
Sidenote 2: Those who ardently want to teach "critical race theory" in schools have no problem with ignoring US statistics regarding US Black societal issues post "Great Society" and more recently post "BLM"
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#63 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:11 am

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:39 am

Sidenote 2: Those who ardently want to teach "critical race theory" in schools have no problem with ignoring US statistics regarding US Black societal issues post "Great Society" and more recently post "BLM"
You want to talk about whitewashing history? If you want to avoid being hypocritical about it, you might want to also include the FACT that the democrat party is the root of all racism in this country. They are the party that fought the Civil War on the side of preserving and expanding slavery, they are the party that established the KKK, committed and supported lynchings, established the Jim Crow Laws and destroyed the family structure of black americans.
Why don't you ever talk about that? You want to cancel Robert E Lee? You want to cancel Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and other founding fathers and historical figures for owning slaves? You should also cancel the democrat party. You frickin hypocrites.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#64 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:53 am

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:11 am
You want to cancel Robert E Lee? You want to cancel Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and other founding fathers and historical figures for owning slaves? You should also cancel the democrat party. You frickin hypocrites.
Most people are well aware that the Democratic Party was the party in power in the South for decades before and after the Civil War and was responsible for the Jim Crow laws. Most people are also aware that the political orientation of parties change over the years. Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt would not be recognized by the Republican Party of today, who like to revere their names but not what they stand for. Washington, Jefferson, and others have received their share of criticism for owning slaves. The difference between them and people like Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis is that they did not engage in an actual armed insurrection against the United States. Many of the Confederate statues that Democrats have made concerted efforts to take down in recent years honor men who became prominent Democratic politicians after the Civil War.

The realignment of the political parties in the United States began when Barry Goldwater came out against the Civil Rights Act in 1964 (although his opposition was principled due to his belief that it exceeded the authority of the Federal Government). It culminated with Ronald Reagan's blatant appeal to the white southern vote in 1980. LIberals are well aware that some of their icons like Robert Byrd and Hugo Black were members of the Ku Klux Klan in their youth. Byrd apologized for and renounced his membership on numerous occasions, unlike today's Republicans who love to showcase their support for white nationalist causes.

Today's real hypocrites are Republicans who love to invoke the names of icons like Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Eisenhower while rejecting virtually everything those leaders stood for. And let's not forget the long list of prominent Republicans who switched parties over the years, including Ronald Reagan, Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, Roy Moore, David Duke, Richard Shelby, Nathan Deal, Rick Perry, Fob James, and Sonny Perdue.

kroxquo

#65 Post by kroxquo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:15 am

BackInTex wrote:

You want to talk about whitewashing history? If you want to avoid being hypocritical about it, you might want to also include the FACT that the democrat party is the root of all racism in this country. They are the party that fought the Civil War on the side of preserving and expanding slavery, they are the party that established the KKK, committed and supported lynchings, established the Jim Crow Laws and destroyed the family structure of black americans.
Why don't you ever talk about that? You want to cancel Robert E Lee? You want to cancel Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and other founding fathers and historical figures for owning slaves? You should also cancel the democrat party. You frickin hypocrites.
Racism in this country predates the existence of either of the parties and even the existence of the country itself. If you look at the laws of the 13 colonies - north and south - restrictions on movement, residency, relationships, and work for Blacks were codified in law.
I agree that the Civil War was fought for the preservation and expansion of slavery despite what some apologists will insist. It was not the only reason, but it was primary. Most of the people who led the secession in 1860 were Democrats, but to say it was the party that fought the war is inaccurate. Not all Democrats were secessionists and not all secessionists were Democrats. Some very prominent Democrats such as Stephen Douglas and Andrew Johnson were ardently against secession.
The Democrats throughout the South were responsible for Jim Crow. I will agree on that point. The rest of the party was complicit in not opposing these policies, but I would disagree that the Democrat party established the KKK. Even if it was mostly Democrats that established the KKK, it was no more a matter of Democratic party policy any more than the January 6 insurrection was the responsibilty of the Republican party even if almost all of the people who stormed the capitol were (as most people suspect) Republican.

However, to address your greater point. The Democratic Party today is no more reflective of the Democrats of the post Civil War era, any more than the Republican party is. A reformer like Theodore Roosevelt would not be welcome in today's Republican Party, nor would someone who counseled leniency and forgiveness like Abraham Lincoln. Moreover, racist Democrats like Strom Thurmond and George Wallace would no longer be welcome. The Democrats have always had a bit of a dichotomy between the reactionary Southern Democrats and Northern Democrats like Franklin Roosevelt and John Kennedy. The full reversal on Black civil rights came when Lyndon Johnson pushed through the Civil Rights Act in 1964. A Southern Democrat, Johnson forced through the legislation despite the outcry from the Southerners who felt betrayed by one of their own. The 1964 electoral map shows a complete abandonment of the Democratic party by the solid South that has remained intact every year since with the exception of 1976 when Jimmy Carter was on hte ballot. The history of the last 60 years contradicts your point. It is the Republicans who are now in the process of restricting and curtailing Black civil rights.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

BackInTex

#66 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:43 am

kroxquo wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:15 am

Racism in this country ....
Racism exists in every country, in every time. We are not nor have ever been alone. In fact, how this country treats it's diverseness if better than any other country today or in history. We are not perfect. We can do better. But we are the best. Period. End of discussion.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#67 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:45 am

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:53 am
You want to cancel Robert E Lee? You want to cancel Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and other founding fathers and historical figures for owning slaves? You should also cancel the democrat party. You frickin hypocrites.
Most people are well aware that the Democratic Party was the party in power in the South for decades before and after the Civil War and was responsible for the Jim Crow laws. Most people are also aware that the political orientation of parties change over the years. Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt would not be recognized by the Republican Party of today, who like to revere their names but not what they stand for. Washington, Jefferson, and others have received their share of criticism for owning slaves. The difference between them and people like Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis is that they did not engage in an actual armed insurrection against the United States. Many of the Confederate statues that Democrats have made concerted efforts to take down in recent years honor men who became prominent Democratic politicians after the Civil War.

The realignment of the political parties in the United States began when Barry Goldwater came out against the Civil Rights Act in 1964 (although his opposition was principled due to his belief that it exceeded the authority of the Federal Government). It culminated with Ronald Reagan's blatant appeal to the white southern vote in 1980. LIberals are well aware that some of their icons like Robert Byrd and Hugo Black were members of the Ku Klux Klan in their youth. Byrd apologized for and renounced his membership on numerous occasions, unlike today's Republicans who love to showcase their support for white nationalist causes.

Today's real hypocrites are Republicans who love to invoke the names of icons like Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Eisenhower while rejecting virtually everything those leaders stood for. And let's not forget the long list of prominent Republicans who switched parties over the years, including Ronald Reagan, Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, Roy Moore, David Duke, Richard Shelby, Nathan Deal, Rick Perry, Fob James, and Sonny Perdue.
Teddy Roosevelt would not be part of the same party as Obama, Biden, Schumer, Pelosi or any other of the party's "leadership".
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#68 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:53 am

kroxquo wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:15 am
BackInTex wrote:

Racism in this country predates the existence of either of the parties and even the existence of the country itself. If you look at the laws of the 13 colonies - north and south - restrictions on movement, residency, relationships, and work for Blacks were codified in law.
I agree that the Civil War was fought for the preservation and expansion of slavery despite what some apologists will insist. It was not the only reason, but it was primary. Most of the people who led the secession in 1860 were Democrats, but to say it was the party that fought the war is inaccurate. Not all Democrats were secessionists and not all secessionists were Democrats. Some very prominent Democrats such as Stephen Douglas and Andrew Johnson were ardently against secession.
The Democrats throughout the South were responsible for Jim Crow. I will agree on that point. The rest of the party was complicit in not opposing these policies, but I would disagree that the Democrat party established the KKK. Even if it was mostly Democrats that established the KKK, it was no more a matter of Democratic party policy any more than the January 6 insurrection was the responsibilty of the Republican party even if almost all of the people who stormed the capitol were (as most people suspect) Republican.

However, to address your greater point. The Democratic Party today is no more reflective of the Democrats of the post Civil War era, any more than the Republican party is. A reformer like Theodore Roosevelt would not be welcome in today's Republican Party, nor would someone who counseled leniency and forgiveness like Abraham Lincoln. Moreover, racist Democrats like Strom Thurmond and George Wallace would no longer be welcome. The Democrats have always had a bit of a dichotomy between the reactionary Southern Democrats and Northern Democrats like Franklin Roosevelt and John Kennedy. The full reversal on Black civil rights came when Lyndon Johnson pushed through the Civil Rights Act in 1964. A Southern Democrat, Johnson forced through the legislation despite the outcry from the Southerners who felt betrayed by one of their own. The 1964 electoral map shows a complete abandonment of the Democratic party by the solid South that has remained intact every year since with the exception of 1976 when Jimmy Carter was on hte ballot. The history of the last 60 years contradicts your point. It is the Republicans who are now in the process of restricting and curtailing Black civil rights.
The Southern Strategy narrative is another MYTH concocted and sold by the democrat party.

This article summarizes it. And just really think about how extremely unlikely it really was for that to happen. One thing the democrat party has always been good at is packaging and selling lies.
https://redstate.com/dan_mclaughlin/201 ... ity-n43726

silverscreenselect

#69 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:50 am

Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:53 am
The Southern Strategy narrative is another MYTH concocted and sold by the democrat party.

This article summarizes it.
A "myth" documented by dozens of political scientists over the years and "refuted" by one article Flock was able to find on Redstate.com. Nixon began the strategy, but Reagan perfected it.
At the end of July (1980), Reagan's campaign announced that he would resume campaigning on August 3. The first event on his calendar seemed innocuous enough: a county fair in rural south-central Mississippi. But the Neshoba County and its annual fair enjoyed a racially fraught history. 16 years earlier, at the height of "Freedom Summer," three civil rights workers from the North -- Andrew Goodman, James Chaney, and Michael Schwerner -- had been abducted and murdered by the Klan in Philadelphia, Miss., Neshoba's county seat. Local and state politicians, like many local residents, had reacted by playing dumb "Maybe they went to Cuba," Mississippi's governor, Paul Johnson, said when news first broke that the trio had gone missing. The Neshoba fair had been around since the late 19th Century, and it had become a popular campaign stop for segregationist candidates in Mississippi -- the notorious Ross Barnett was a regular. But no presidential candidate had ever before showed up. Until Ronald Reagan.

Reagan and his campaign sensed political opportunity, both in Mississippi and across the South. The state had voted for Carter in '76, but only by two points. Reagan's Mississippi state chairman, a young congressman named Trent Lott, was adamant that it could be flipped. So it was that a cheery Reagan took the stage that August afternoon and issued one of the most thinly veiled appeals to racial resentment in modern American politics. ""I believe in states' rights," he told the uniformly white crowd of 30,000 Mississippians, "and I believe in people doing as much as they can for themselves at the community level and at the private level." Technically, he was talking about welfare policy, his aim in using the term "states' rights" -- the rallying cry for every politician who'd fought civil rights legislation in the 1950s and 1960s -- was unmistakable. The crowd responded with delirious cheers.

That fall, Reagan carried Mississippi -- and every other state in the South, except Carter's native Georgia. The Neshoba moment did not, by itself, bring this outcome about (although his margins in Mississippi and other southern states were exceedingly narrow). Nor did the South, by itself, account for Reagan's victory over Carter. (It was, after all, a 44-state landslide.) But the 1980 election established that the South's break with the Democratic Party wouldn't be a short-term phenomenon. And if there's one moment that captured the spirit that animated this realignment, it was Reagan's proud invocation of "states' rights" -- and his audience's gleeful response. It was the fulfillment of the Southern Strategy.
https://www.salon.com/2011/02/03/reagan ... _strategy/

And let's not forget the "welfare queen," a real-life black woman from Chicago who was guilty of welfare fraud but who became Reagan's go-to straw woman for all sorts of largely imagined welfare excesses.

silverscreenselect

#70 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:49 pm

Great minds think alike #3. From the Kiev Independent:
Russians force school teachers in occupied town to switch to Russian curriculum.

Yuriy Sobolevskyi, deputy head of Kherson Regional Council, said that school principals in Henichesk in Kherson Oblast were ordered to draw up lists of teachers who were ready to do it, or face dismissal. Today in Genichesk, [Russians], together with local collaborators, forced to gather the directors of community schools, and presented them an ultimatum - to submit lists of teachers who are ready to continue working on the Russian program from September 1st. Those teachers who agree are going to be sent to Crimea in the summer for re-training. Others are threatened to be fired.

BackInTex

#71 Post by BackInTex » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:17 pm

Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:49 pm
Great minds think alike #3. From the Kiev Independent:
Russians force school teachers in occupied town to switch to Russian curriculum.

Yuriy Sobolevskyi, deputy head of Kherson Regional Council, said that school principals in Henichesk in Kherson Oblast were ordered to draw up lists of teachers who were ready to do it, or face dismissal. Today in Genichesk, [Russians], together with local collaborators, forced to gather the directors of community schools, and presented them an ultimatum - to submit lists of teachers who are ready to continue working on the Russian program from September 1st. Those teachers who agree are going to be sent to Crimea in the summer for re-training. Others are threatened to be fired.
Yep, they're going to now nurture, cultivate, and help students find personal meaning and purpose in their lives, based on who is calling the shots. Just like here in most cases (not the National Teacher of the Year case, but the lower %s).
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#72 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:08 am

Article in today's Fivethirtyeight about the effects of teaching about racism in schools. The original article contains links to the source material, much of which is behind paywalls or technical in nature:

What Happens When American Children Learn About Racism?
Americans have spent over 150 years arguing about what kind of history we should teach to our children. In “Schoolbook Nation,” a book that examines the history of conflicts over American curricula, historian Joseph Moreau noted that a variety of Americans have worried about the sky falling if the “wrong” versions of history were taught in our schools. Americans, as Moreau documented, were concerned about this in the 1870s, again in the 1920s and, as we’ve seen recently, they are still concerned today.

One present source of tension is the question of whether and how we should teach children about racism, as well as other less rosy aspects of the nation’s history. Politicians, parents and other influential actors have strong and divided views about this. One side assumes that teaching a more critical version of history would be beneficial to our children and thus argue for adding more lessons critical of American history to curricula; the other side assumes that such lessons would be harmful and therefore argue that critical content should be banned from the classroom.

This, though, raises an important empirical question: What actually happens when we teach students critical lessons about American history? Or, put another way, what happens when American children learn about racism? Social scientists have studied this question for years and found that, overall, there is a lot to be gained from schools teaching students about more challenging aspects of American history. For instance, in one field experiment conducted in high schools across the Chicago metropolitan area, University of Chicago political scientist Matthew Nelsen randomly assigned nearly 700 high schoolers to read different versions of history textbook segments and then measured what effect they had on students from different racial backgrounds.

Some students were assigned to read excerpts adapted from a widely-circulated history book that presents a relatively typical retelling of American history. Other students were assigned to read excerpts from a more critical history book that foregrounded “marginalized groups, systemic injustice and grassroots political action.” What happened to the students that read these different versions of history?

First and foremost, Nelsen found that, compared to students who read the more traditional history text, students of all racial backgrounds benefitted from reading the more critical text. Latino and Black youth, for instance, reported a greater willingness to participate in acts of political engagement and were also more willing to express their views on a variety of issues. In another work, Nelsen also found that white students reported a greater appreciation for the contributions that Black, Latino and Asian Americans have made to American society.

Political scientists are not the only ones finding results like this. Nelsen’s findings are consistent with a larger body of research conducted by a team of psychologists from Northwestern University, the University of Georgia and the University of Vermont. In their recent review of the literature on this topic, psychologist Sylvia Perry and her colleagues noted that teaching children about racism can actually increase the empathy they have for members of other groups, as well as their concerns about systemic racism. They point to studies showing, for example, that when white children learn about racism they are more likely to value racial fairness and show more positive attitudes and empathy toward Black people.

It’s hard not to look at these results and think — great! — if only our schools taught more critical histories of the U.S., it could improve how different racial groups interact with each other. But that’s not what’s happened in the last few years. In fact, there is currently an active push to restrict how race and racism are taught in schools: Between January 2021 and April 2022, almost 200 bills were introduced across the U.S. to ban the teaching of critical perspectives on the history of the United States.

Given the benefits of teaching a more critical version of American history, one might wonder why there is such active resistance to it. But perhaps, unsurprisingly, the answer to that lies within the very same findings I already presented. One way to summarize the research I’ve cited is that when American children are taught more challenging lessons about history, young people of color are inspired to become civically and politically engaged, and young white people gain greater appreciation for their fellow citizens of color. According to Columbia University psychologists Ariel Mosley and Larisa Heiphetz, there may be an expansion of “moral circles” across different racial groups — that is, young people from different walks of life could end up feeling greater moral obligations to work together and help one another and, as such, become less tolerant of the social systems that maintain and reinforce inequality.

If you believe in the virtues of a multiracial democracy, then the thought of a diverse coalition of young people coming together to help one another and push for the expansion of rights and greater equity and justice in society might be heartwarming. But if you have a different set of beliefs, ones that are more oriented toward social dominance or a preference for hierarchy and inequality, then findings like the ones I’ve described might be the very kind of evidence that terrifies you.

Consider that in a recent longitudinal study that followed over 2,600 white Americans over three years, New York University and University of Massachusetts Amherst psychologists Eric Knowles, Linda Tropp and Mao Mogami found that compared to white Democrats, white Republicans believed more strongly that minority groups would collude against white people, which could threaten their standing in society if white people did not band together to defend their ingroup interests.

To be sure, these concerns about which racial groups might hold power in society are not new. Nelsen, the political scientist I mentioned earlier, noted in a recent paper that they have long been at the heart of debates about what history schools should teach. White Americans, for instance, have worried for some time now that teaching more critical history in our schools — lessons about racism and other forms of oppression — might cause the nation to lose some of its traditions, and could even lead to “reverse discrimination” against white Americans.

In other words, one reason why so many white Americans, especially white Republicans, might be concerned about the effects of teaching children about racism — and are actively trying to ban such lessons from schools — is a fear about what this type of education might mean for their own power in society. Teaching about racism could lead to greater cross-race coalition building and the expansion of rights and opportunities for racial minorities to participate in key decision-making systems, but that idea is interpreted by some Americans as an existential threat.

This is the fear that’s lurking beneath the surface of debates about how to teach our nation’s history. Both sides of the debate seem to have beliefs that are aligned with the evidence: They believe, for instance, that teaching critical lessons about our nation’s history might change power dynamics in the U.S. For some, this is a good thing and something they want children to be taught. But for others, such lessons evoke a sense that they are, to use the language of University of Pennsylvania political communication scientist Diana Mutz, under siege by engines of change.

Bob Juch

#73 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:57 am

First and foremost, Nelsen found that, compared to students who read the more traditional history text, students of all racial backgrounds benefitted from reading the more critical text. Latino and Black youth, for instance, reported a greater willingness to participate in acts of political engagement and were also more willing to express their views on a variety of issues. In another work, Nelsen also found that white students reported a greater appreciation for the contributions that Black, Latino, and Asian Americans have made to American society.
That's exactly why Republicans are against teaching our actual history.