Thought While Watching Amadeus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Thought While Watching Amadeus

#1 Post by Spock » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:27 pm

Amadeus came out when I was a Senior in high school, but while I have caught a few snippets over the years, I had never seen the whole movie.

I wonder if anyone else who has ever watched the movie came away with the same question I had.

There are some cattle shown in the final few minutes of the movie and one of them is a Holstein dairy cow.

Now, I am left to wonder how likely it would be that a Holstein cow would be found in the Vienna of Mozart's time? Now, sure-but then?

flockofseagulls104

Re: Thought While Watching Amadeus

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:16 pm

Spock wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:27 pm
Amadeus came out when I was a Senior in high school, but while I have caught a few snippets over the years, I had never seen the whole movie.

I wonder if anyone else who has ever watched the movie came away with the same question I had.

There are some cattle shown in the final few minutes of the movie and one of them is a Holstein dairy cow.

Now, I am left to wonder how likely it would be that a Holstein cow would be found in the Vienna of Mozart's time? Now, sure-but then?
Yeah, I noticed that. I immediately had a craving for a Chik-Fil-A sandwich.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:23 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:16 pm
Spock wrote:

Rumor has it we're getting one in my city. I'm giddy.

"Holstein-Friesian, breed of large dairy cattle originating in northern Holland and Friesland. Its chief characteristics are its large size and black and white spotted markings, sharply defined rather than blended. These cattle are believed to have been selected for dairy qualities for about 2,000 years. They have long been widely distributed over the more fertile lowlands of continental Europe, where they are valued highly for their milk-producing ability."

The more you know...
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:53 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:23 pm
Spock wrote:

"Holstein-Friesian, breed of large dairy cattle originating in northern Holland and Friesland. Its chief characteristics are its large size and black and white spotted markings, sharply defined rather than blended. These cattle are believed to have been selected for dairy qualities for about 2,000 years. They have long been widely distributed over the more fertile lowlands of continental Europe, where they are valued highly for their milk-producing ability."

The more you know...
Missoula's getting one-not sure if it going yet or not.

Yeah, but do the "fertile lowlands of continental Europe" cover the timeframe and geography of Mozart's Vienna? I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know-let's beat this horse (cow) to death from all possible angles.

I am doing that pretty good by myself with my dividend game, in which, ideally, I would never collect a dividend.

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:02 pm

Spock wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:53 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:23 pm

The more you know...
Missoula's getting one-not sure if it going yet or not.

Yeah, but do the "fertile lowlands of continental Europe" cover the timeframe and geography of Mozart's Vienna? I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know-let's beat this horse (cow) to death from all possible angles.

I am doing that pretty good by myself with my dividend game, in which, ideally, I would never collect a dividend.
I'm sure they were, but probably identified as goats.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:07 pm

Oh, and I wanted to get a computer, too. But I don't think you can get them anymore.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:18 pm

Non-cow observations (from IMDB):

When Mozart performs in the orchestra for "The Magic Flute" he is shown playing the bell solo on a celesta. This instrument was not invented until 1886. The part should have been performed on a glockenspiel.

When Mozart is talking about the opera that will take place in a harem, he says it is set in "Turkey". In the 18th century, the Turkish country in question was called the "Ottoman Empire" and it did not take the name Turkey till 1920.

Mozart plays carom billiards with what appears to be a tipped cue. The first tipped cue was invented in 1807. It also appears that the tip is covered with blue dyed chalk, invented in 1897.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086879/go ... =tt_trv_gf
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:21 pm

Another observation.

There is simply no way that the real Mozart could have been as annoying as the character in the movie.

My eyes were bleeding during his more inane moments.