Society is screwed

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

Re: Society is screwed

#201 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:49 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:43 pm
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:31 pm
So, once again, getting back to the subject....

Is the major argument why we need to teach 1st and 2nd graders about 'gender' in public schools because we can't trust their parents to do it? Or do it the 'right' way?

Please enlighten me....
Funnily, the original post, that I made, was about the inanity of Hollywood, media, etc. I may start a new thread. Then they can blast me for my unwokeness in re the discussion at hand.
I guess you don't have the entourage of enemies that I have. They will come in gangs in any thread to dispute anything I say and get in their slams at me.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#202 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:50 pm

Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:49 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:43 pm
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:31 pm
So, once again, getting back to the subject....

Is the major argument why we need to teach 1st and 2nd graders about 'gender' in public schools because we can't trust their parents to do it? Or do it the 'right' way?

Please enlighten me....
Funnily, the original post, that I made, was about the inanity of Hollywood, media, etc. I may start a new thread. Then they can blast me for my unwokeness in re the discussion at hand.
I guess you don't have the entourage of enemies that I have. They will come in gangs in any thread to dispute anything I say and get in their slams at me.
Join the thread.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#203 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:24 am

This guy, Missouri state Rep. Ian Mackey, says it much better than I could ever hope to. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#204 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:49 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:24 am
This guy, Missouri state Rep. Ian Mackey, says it much better than I could ever hope to. --Bob
That guy comes across himself as a bigot.

I don't know what the legislation he is referring to contains. But I will go with the assumption it is similar to the FL law in discussion.

First of all he makes an accusation against one of his colleagues. He assumes that his colleague 'wouldn't let his children be around his gay brother' (paraphrasing). His colleague states that accusation is not true, but he ignores that statement and goes right on with his rant about it, even though his premise has just proven to be false.

He goes right on with a self-righteous rant (similar to ones I have read somewhere). Though I sympathise with his portrayal of his personal struggles, that is the entire content of his speech. He does not go into any detail of the legislation he disagrees with. But this is a short clip: He may have done so at another time. But the major point of his speech is to attack his opponent's character and moral values. And he pretty much accuses everyone who may support this particular piece of legislation of hating and oppressing gay people. I don't know about you, but I don't think this is a very good way of gathering support for your position. But you use that tactic all the time when you don't have a response to a particular topic on this bored. So I guess you think it's effective in some way.

This clip is an emotional outrage clip. It is only out there for it's emotional value to spark outrage. There is no discussion about the actual issues involved. That is the major problem with social media as it is currently used. It is used to spark emotional outrage and dissent. It is not designed anywhere to encourage reasoned and civil debate.

Sorry, bob, but there is another side to this issue that is just as valid.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#205 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:56 am

Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:49 am
Bob78164 wrote:

I don't know what the legislation he is referring to contains. But I will go with the assumption it is similar to the FL law in discussion.

First of all he makes an accusation against one of his colleagues. He assumes that his colleague 'wouldn't let his children be around his gay brother' (paraphrasing). His colleague states that accusation is not true, but he ignores that statement and goes right on with his rant about it, even though his premise has just proven to be false.

He goes right on with a self-righteous rant (similar to ones I have read somewhere). Though I sympathise with his portrayal of his personal struggles, that is the entire content of his speech. He does not go into any detail of the legislation he disagrees with. But this is a short clip: He may have done so at another time. But the major point of his speech is to attack his opponent's character and moral values. And he pretty much accuses everyone who may support this particular piece of legislation of hating and oppressing gay people. I don't know about you, but I don't think this is a very good way of gathering support for your position. But you use that tactic all the time when you don't have a response to a particular topic on this bored. So I guess you think it's effective in some way.

This clip is an emotional outrage clip. It is only out there for it's emotional value to spark outrage. There is no discussion about the actual issues involved. That is the major problem with social media as it is currently used. It is used to spark emotional outrage and dissent. It is not designed anywhere to encourage reasoned and civil debate.

First, you didn't listen very carefully. He didn't assume his colleague wouldn't let his children be around his gay brother. He noted that that was the fear of the colleague's brother (who presumably knows the colleague much better than you or I do).'

Much more important, you're missing the entire point. The emotional harm caused to vulnerable children by this act of bigotry is the point. Rep. Mackey suffered exactly such harm, though he was able to survive it. So by dismissing any and all emotional responses, you're also dismissing the feelings of all of those who are harmed by what's happening. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#206 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:05 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:56 am
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:49 am
Bob78164 wrote:

First, you didn't listen very carefully. He didn't assume his colleague wouldn't let his children be around his gay brother. He noted that that was the fear of the colleague's brother (who presumably knows the colleague much better than you or I do).'

Much more important, you're missing the entire point. The emotional harm caused to vulnerable children by this act of bigotry is the point. Rep. Mackey suffered exactly such harm, though he was able to survive it. So by dismissing any and all emotional responses, you're also dismissing the feelings of all of those who are harmed by what's happening. --Bob
His colleagues brother's fear was unfounded, based on what was said in this short clip, which is all I could go on. But from my 'personal experience', I doubt there are very many people who would act, in real life, the way the speaker, or his colleagues brother, are accusing. That's just a stereotype perpetuated by people who have a vested interest in it being perpetuated. As you have stated, society has changed, and that stereotype is majorly a thing of the past.

I cannot determine what, from this clip, specifically is supposed to be 'bigotted' in the legistlation they are debating. Perhaps I would agree with the speaker if I knew. But that is not why this clip is on twitter.

kroxquo

#207 Post by kroxquo » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:01 pm

Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:05 am

I doubt there are very many people who would act, in real life, the way the speaker, or his colleagues brother, are accusing. That's just a stereotype perpetuated by people who have a vested interest in it being perpetuated. As you have stated, society has changed, and that stereotype is majorly a thing of the past.
Then I must conclude that you have very little experience with LGBTQ youth, because I see numerous kids struggling with this every single day in the very rural North Carolina school where I teach.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#208 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:31 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:01 pm
I doubt there are very many people who would act, in real life, the way the speaker, or his colleagues brother, are accusing. That's just a stereotype perpetuated by people who have a vested interest in it being perpetuated. As you have stated, society has changed, and that stereotype is majorly a thing of the past.
Then I must conclude that you have very little experience with LGBTQ youth, because I see numerous kids struggling with this every single day in the very rural North Carolina school where I teach.
One of my colleagues here at the office (originally from Florida, by the way) had parents who barely spoke to him for years after he came out in college.

But there's a much easier way to understand the issue. No one ever talks about "coming out" as straight. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#209 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:46 pm

kroxquo wrote:

I can only assume you are referring to kids who are past puberty.
None of the laws that I know of object to reasonable sex education in that age group. We are talking about 1st and 2nd graders here. Well before puberty. Any LGBTQ 2nd graders in your school? If there are, THOSE are the parents that should be scrutinized, IMO.

flockofseagulls104

#210 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:56 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:31 pm
kroxquo wrote:
One of my colleagues here at the office (originally from Florida, by the way) had parents who barely spoke to him for years after he came out in college.

But there's a much easier way to understand the issue. No one ever talks about "coming out" as straight. --Bob
Please raise your hand if you would stop talking to a friend or family member if they were to tell you they were gay......

Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?

jarnon

#211 Post by jarnon » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:58 pm

Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:46 pm
kroxquo wrote:
None of the laws that I know of object to reasonable sex education in that age group. We are talking about 1st and 2nd graders here. Well before puberty. Any LGBTQ 2nd graders in your school? If there are, THOSE are the parents that should be scrutinized, IMO.
The 1st and 2nd grade lessons seem to be about kids with two moms, boys who play with dolls, things like that. That's enough for that age. And it should be taught in the context of tolerance for all kinds of differences - ethnic, religious, economic, physical, whatever could be a trigger for stereotypes or bullying in the particular school.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

flockofseagulls104

#212 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:11 pm

jarnon wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:58 pm
kroxquo wrote:
The 1st and 2nd grade lessons seem to be about kids with two moms, boys who play with dolls, things like that. That's enough for that age. And it should be taught in the context of tolerance for all kinds of differences - ethnic, religious, economic, whatever could be a trigger for stereotypes or bullying in the particular school.
I posted proposed curricula for one such school district, and it seemed to go well beyond that. At that age, you can tell a child that it is alright to believe you have super powers and they might jump out their window. I still say the answer is to send the info to the parents and let them decide. But none of you have even referenced that idea. Too bought into the idea that ONLY teachers can possibly teach it or that most parents are raving monsters or something.

BackInTex

#213 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:50 pm

Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:11 pm
or that most parents are raving monsters or something.
No, just the ones you are arguing with.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#214 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:52 pm

jarnon wrote:
The 1st and 2nd grade lessons seem to be about kids with two moms, boys who play with dolls, things like that. That's enough for that age. And it should be taught in the context of tolerance for all kinds of differences - ethnic, religious, economic, whatever could be a trigger for stereotypes or bullying in the particular school.
I posted proposed curricula for one such school district, and it seemed to go well beyond that. At that age, you can tell a child that it is alright to believe you have super powers and they might jump out their window. I still say the answer is to send the info to the parents and let them decide. But none of you have even referenced that idea. Too bought into the idea that ONLY teachers can possibly teach it or that most parents are raving monsters or something.
You're advocating for parents' right to, without interference, teach their kids to be bigots. We can't stop parents from trying to teach bigotry to their kids, but we can and should make a counterweight available. --Bob

BackInTex

#215 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:55 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:52 pm
jarnon wrote:
You're advocating for parents' right to, without interference, teach their kids to be bigots. We can't stop parents from trying to teach bigotry to their kids, but we can and should make a counterweight available. --Bob
You really like that word. Your overuse of it has dulled it's meaning. It now simply means anyone that disagrees with you.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#216 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:21 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:55 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
You really like that word. Your overuse of it has dulled it's meaning. It now simply means anyone that disagrees with you.
Exactly. Thank you.
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#217 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:01 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:21 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Exactly. Thank you.
As opposed to the state indoctrinating kids with whatever they deem to be 'for the public good' without interference from their parents?

BackInTex

#218 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:17 pm

Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:01 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Exactly. Thank you.
As opposed to the state indoctrinating kids with whatever they deem to be 'for the public good' without interference from their parents?
Kinda like The Third Reich.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#219 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:00 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Exactly. Thank you.
That's what has been happening in many states for many years. Example: Texas tells schoolbook publishers what should be in and out of history instruction and, in some cases, the exact words to use. That's done without parental consultation.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#220 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:05 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:00 pm
Beebs52 wrote:

Exactly. Thank you.
That's what has been happening in many states for many years. Example: Texas tells schoolbook publishers what should be in and out of history instruction and, in some cases, the exact words to use. That's done without parental consultation.
Don't change the subject. You want to talk history, start another thread. And use your graphics.....

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#221 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:59 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

Exactly. Thank you.
Many states do this. There are boards for that.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#222 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:41 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:59 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

Many states do this. There are boards for that.
Exactly!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

wbtravis007

#223 Post by wbtravis007 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:14 am

Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:56 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
kroxquo wrote:

Please raise your hand if you would stop talking to a friend or family member if they were to tell you they were gay......

Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?
BiT? BiT?

flockofseagulls104

#224 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:07 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:14 am
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:56 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?
BiT? BiT?
Strawman? Strawman?

themanintheseersuckersuit

#225 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:16 pm

The Florida Department of Education announced it had rejected 41 percent of submitted mathematics textbooks because the books contained "prohibited topics" such as Critical Race Theory and Social Emotional Learning.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.