Society is screwed

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
wbtravis007

Re: Society is screwed

#226 Post by wbtravis007 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:20 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:07 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:14 am
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:56 pm

Please raise your hand if you would stop talking to a friend or family member if they were to tell you they were gay......

Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?
BiT? BiT?
Strawman? Strawman?
I have no idea what that’s even supposed to mean here.

silverscreenselect

#227 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:11 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:16 pm
The Florida Department of Education announced it had rejected 41 percent of submitted mathematics textbooks because the books contained "prohibited topics" such as Critical Race Theory and Social Emotional Learning.
According to the articles I read, over half of the texts submitted for elementary school students (K-5) were rejected because they "included references to Critical Race Theory (CRT), included Common Core and featured the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics, according to a news release from the department."

My guess is that there aren't very many math texts for elementary school students that teach anything resembling critical race theory. However, it's possible that some might be upset because the math books included Common Core and Social Emotional Learning (a new term for me).

Social Emotional Learning is "an integral part of education and human development. SEL is the process through which all young people and adults acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to develop healthy identities, manage emotions and achieve personal and collective goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain supportive relationships, and make responsible and caring decisions.

I would think that developing healthy identities, managing emotions, showing empathy for others, establishing and maintaining supportive relationships, and making responsible and caring decisions are worthy educational goals. There are five core competencies:

I. Self-awareness - helps students acknowledge emotions and feelings like fear and anger and develop strategies to deal with them in a productive manner.

II. Self-management - helps students control impulses, develop self-discipline and self-motivation, set goals, organize.

III. Social awareness - respect for others, empathy, appreciating diversity (I'd guess this is what right-wingers hate)

IV. Relationship skills - Better communication, social engagement, relationship building, teamwork

V. Responsible decision making - identifying problems, analyzing situations, solving problems, reflecting, ethical responsibility

The Common Core concepts regarding math include establishing standards that are based on practices in various states and countries, research, and input from experts in the field. These concepts build from one grade to the next. One thing that common core standards in math and English do is to limit the practice of "social passing" of students who haven't learned what they should at a particular grade level.

For example, the third grade math concepts include:

Developing understanding of multiplication and division and strategies for multiplication and division within 100
Developing understanding of fractions especially those with 1 as the numerator (1/2, 1/3, etc.)
Developing understanding of the structure of rectangular arrays and area
Describing and analyzing two-dimensional shapes.

Skills taught, include learning to tell time to the nearest minute and measure intervals of time, measuring and estimating volumes and masses of objects using standard units of measurement, understanding concepts of square units of area, recognizing perimeters, etc.

Other elementary school grade standards are similar. I fail to see anything controversial here, and I would think that most elementary school math textbooks would try to teach these subjects over the course of the school year.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#228 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:16 pm

I would also note that the state DOE did not release the names of the textbooks that were rejected or any details other than the generalities contained in the press release. I assume that the publishers will make this information known soon so that people can objectively review the math texts to see what students shouldn't be taught, according to the Florida DOE.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#229 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:25 pm

Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

jarnon

#230 Post by jarnon » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:49 pm

Nothing wrong with making a math assignment more interesting by including facts about a famed author. I'd leave out the abuse and prostitution, though. That should be covered in a suitable environment, not a math class.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

kroxquo

#231 Post by kroxquo » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:44 pm

For us old timers who could not read it in your link, here is the actual worksheet. As a teacher, I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with this assignment for a ninth grade math (or any) class. Her experience as a prostitute is not mentioned. This is the sort of cross-curricular work that teachers across subject areas are supposed to do. To have removed this from the curriculum is absurd.

https://defendinged.org/wp-content/uplo ... ngelou.pdf
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

silverscreenselect

#232 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:04 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:44 pm
For us old timers who could not read it in your link, here is the actual worksheet. As a teacher, I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with this assignment for a ninth grade math (or any) class. Her experience as a prostitute is not mentioned. This is the sort of cross-curricular work that teachers across subject areas are supposed to do. To have removed this from the curriculum is absurd.

Also, most of the texts that were turned down were elementary school (K-5). I doubt they will be talking much about any life experiences of Maya Angelou or anyone else in a second grade math text.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#233 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:38 pm

kroxquo wrote:

Particularly since if there there was a comparable assignment about, say, Ronald Reagan, no one would have thought twice about it. The Florida Department of Education is obviously defining “critical race theory” as “any facts about culturally prominent Black Americans.” —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#234 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:46 pm

kroxquo wrote:

You are wrong. The guy revised his original one that was out.

https://defendinged.org/incidents/schoo ... ub-dancer/
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#235 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:48 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:20 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:

BiT? BiT?
Strawman? Strawman?
How many people TODAY would refuse to talk to a friend or a family member just because they were gay?
I doubt there are very many. I doubt the percentage of the population of this country that would act that way TODAY is very high at all.
It was a thing in the 1960's-70's and maybe 80's. But society has changed since then. And I think for the better.

But victimhood is a good weapon to use, politically. And it's used extremely often. And anytime it's used against a GROUP of people generally, and not against individuals, it smells like reverse bigotry to me. I think it's a strawman used very often to represent 'republicans', 'conservatives' or pretty much anyone who opposes any 'progressive' policy or opinion.
'Racism' as defined by the political left is in this category, as well.

JMO.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#236 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:40 am

Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:48 pm
How many people TODAY would refuse to talk to a friend or a family member just because they were gay?
I doubt there are very many. I doubt the percentage of the population of this country that would act that way TODAY is very high at all.
It was a thing in the 1960's-70's and maybe 80's. But society has changed since then. And I think for the better.
Two observations. One, unlike being black, people can disguise their sexual orientation and some do so for fear of the stigma involved in being gay. Two, there are many forms of prejudice other than refusing to talk to a family member. Like racism, ant-gay prejudice exists. And the protections they have for that status under the law are less than for racial prejudice. It's also harder to make a statistical case in a lawsuit because sexual orientation isn't as easily quantified as race. This report indicates that over one-third of gays in 2020 experienced discrimination in the past year.
Overall, this study [by a University of Chicago research group] finds that many LGBTQ people continue to face discrimination in their personal lives, in the workplace and the public sphere, and in their access to critical health care. This experience of discrimination leads to many adverse consequences for their financial, mental, and physical well-being. Many LGBTQ people report altering their lives to avoid this discrimination and the trauma associated with unequal treatment. Younger generations generally report higher levels of discrimination and attendant problems than do older generations, and problems associated with discrimination are most pronounced among transgender individuals, individuals of color, and disabled individuals. Major findings from the survey include:

More than 1 in 3 LGBTQ Americans faced discrimination of some kind in the past year, including more than 3 in 5 transgender Americans.
Discrimination adversely affects the mental and economic well-being of many LGBTQ Americans, including 1 in 2 who report moderate or significant negative psychological impacts.
To avoid the experience of discrimination, more than half of LGBTQ Americans report hiding a personal relationship, and about one-fifth to one-third have altered other aspects of their personal or work lives.
Around 3 in 10 LGBTQ Americans faced difficulties last year accessing necessary medical care due to cost issues, including more than half of transgender Americans.
15 percent of LGBTQ Americans report postponing or avoiding medical treatment due to discrimination, including nearly 3 in 10 transgender individuals.
Transgender individuals faced unique obstacles to accessing health care, including 1 in 3 who had to teach their doctor about transgender individuals in order to receive appropriate care.
LGBTQ Americans have experienced significant mental health issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
https://www.americanprogress.org/articl ... 020/#Ca=10

Straight whites get the benefits of prejudice in our society so it's easier to choose to ignore them or, worse, claim that the only reason they didn't get a job or promotion they wanted was because of "political correctness" of some sort.

kroxquo

#237 Post by kroxquo » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:10 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:46 pm
kroxquo wrote:

You are wrong. The guy revised his original one that was out.

https://defendinged.org/incidents/schoo ... ub-dancer/
I stand corrected. I'll concede that the two questions that were changed maybe weren't the best choices, but for a ninth grade class, it is not inappropriate. I do still think that this type of assignment integrating literature, history, and math is precisely the kind of thing that teachers are trained to do.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

BackInTex

#238 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:52 am

wbtravis007 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:31 pm
One of my colleagues here at the office (originally from Florida, by the way) had parents who barely spoke to him for years after he came out in college.

But there's a much easier way to understand the issue. No one ever talks about "coming out" as straight. --Bob
Please raise your hand if you would stop talking to a friend or family member if they were to tell you they were gay......

Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?
BiT? BiT?
Looks like an opportunity to get my money back. Care to make a wager?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

wbtravis007

#239 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:05 am

Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:48 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:20 pm

Strawman? Strawman?

But victimhood is a good weapon to use, politically. And it's used extremely often. And anytime it's used against a GROUP of people generally, and not against individuals, it smells like reverse bigotry to me. I think it's a strawman used very often to represent 'republicans', 'conservatives' or pretty much anyone who opposes any 'progressive' policy or opinion.
'Racism' as defined by the political left is in this category, as well.

JMO.
This is your explanation of your making reference to a strawman argument? It's gibberish at best. And the funny thing is that basically it consists of a strawman being created and discussed by you. It seems like you don't understand the concept of a strawman.

As for the rest of this post, it reveals an ignorance on you part. No big deal there, though. Hell, everybody's ignorant about a whole lot of things.

wbtravis007

#240 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:06 am

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:52 am
wbtravis007 wrote:

Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?
BiT? BiT?
Maybe. Always looking for easy money. What would we be betting on?

wbtravis007

#241 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:06 am

BackInTex wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?
BiT? BiT?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#242 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:36 am

wbtravis007 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:06 am
BackInTex wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:
BiT? BiT?
If memory serves, BiT (according to his posts) still speaks to his transgender relatives. He simply insists on misgendering them. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#243 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:50 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:36 am
wbtravis007 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
If memory serves, BiT (according to his posts) still speaks to his transgender relatives. He simply insists on misgendering them. --Bob
It is not serving. I don't have any transgender relatives. I do have gay relatives with which we still speak, one on a regular basis.

You may be recalling that my b-i-l has a nephew who as surgically changed his anatomy. But no relation to me.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#244 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
bob is injecting himself in another conversation with a hit and run comment, having never addressed his other hit and runs on which he has been fairly and effectively challenged. Just throw mud against the wall, leave others to clean it up. Maybe some of the mud will leave a mark.
Just more practice on how to be an above-average lawyer.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

wbtravis007

#245 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:14 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:50 am
Bob78164 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:
It is not serving. I don't have any transgender relatives. I do have gay relatives with which we still speak, one on a regular basis.

You may be recalling that my b-i-l has a nephew who as surgically changed his anatomy. But no relation to me.
I don't see a bet working out here. I wasn't making any kind of assertion. I was just wondering if you might want to share again something that I'm pretty sure you mentioned a long time ago about shunning a relative because he or she was gay. I remember how the person that I'm describing was related to you.

BackInTex

#246 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:02 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:14 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I don't see a bet working out here. I wasn't making any kind of assertion. I was just wondering if you might want to share again something that I'm pretty sure you mentioned a long time ago about shunning a relative because he or she was gay. I remember how the person that I'm describing was related to you.
I don't think I've ever mentioned shunning someone because they were gay. Of course, your definition of shunning may be "not completely 100% welcoming to any and all events and occasions". If so, I shun a lot of people I like and love. And even so, it would not be just because they are gay. Maybe you could be more specific about what you're trying to call me out on so I can set you straight (no pun intended).
~~ Thomas Jefferson

wbtravis007

#247 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:47 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:02 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I don't think I've ever mentioned shunning someone because they were gay. Of course, your definition of shunning may be "not completely 100% welcoming to any and all events and occasions". If so, I shun a lot of people I like and love. And even so, it would not be just because they are gay. Maybe you could be more specific about what you're trying to call me out on so I can set you straight (no pun intended).
Not really "calling you out."

I guess I could be wrong -- and it was probably on a previous incarnation of this board -- but I remember you mentioning that your brother's homosexuality significantly affected your relationship. Not to say that there weren't other issues as well. But my recollection is that you were sharing that his sexual preference, in and of itself, was a significant factor.

BackInTex

#248 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:31 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:47 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:02 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:

Not really "calling you out."

I guess I could be wrong -- and it was probably on a previous incarnation of this board -- but I remember you mentioning that your brother's homosexuality significantly affected your relationship. Not to say that there weren't other issues as well. But my recollection is that you were sharing that his sexual preference, in and of itself, was a significant factor.
A significantly affected relationship is not necessarily shunning. I would say early on (before I got married) it was him shunning me. I invited him to come visit when I lived in Houston and again when I lived in Dallas. Even offered to pay his airfare. He preferred his friends and drugs. He was big into the gay scene in Austin. After 2-3 attempts I gave up. Once married (and with kids) we saw him at family events, especially when we were together at Christmas at my Dad's place. Once my dad passed away we saw him less frequently. He was never invited to our house for Thanksgiving or Christmas but was welcome to stop by if he were in town, which he did a couple times, even once with his partner. Had he been straight and drug free he and I might have had a closer relationship where we both would try to get the families together regularly. So yeah, his lifestyle had a significant impact on our relationship, but I'd hardly call it shunning.

He was invited to both my daughters' weddings. Came up to both, attended one, called in sick to the other.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#249 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:55 am

No, they are not grooming.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ery-school

If you, deep down, don't think that a public school is an appropriate place for Drag Queens to perform, then ask yourself why you continue to vote for people who do.

silverscreenselect

#250 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:50 pm

From the Tallahassee Democrat (June 29):

Leon County School Board approves LGBTQ guide after fierce debate
After three hours of fiery public debate, the Leon County School Board unanimously approved its "LGBTQ Inclusive School Guide" Tuesday night. What drew the most debate was a provision that a school will notify parents — by form — if a student who is "open about their gender identity" is in a physical education class or on an overnight trip. Some teachers and students during the Tuesday night meeting said the policy will “out” LGBTQ+ students — revealing their sexual orientation or gender identity without their permission.

"The notification to all the parents can create a very stressful and unwanted situation to trans and LGBTQ students," said Kailey Sandell, a Leon High School student who spoke at the meeting. "A lot of times kids assume that kids are gay or trans; they will easily be able to hurt them."

The meeting lasted more than four hours and multiple speakers cited the Bible in their comments. Some parents said discussions about sexual orientation have no place in schools and that the guide was overstepping the role of education officials. Other parents who spoke at the meeting argued if they are not notified in such circumstances, it's a violation of their parental rights. "Any attempt to withhold information from a parent or try to influence a child in a knowing way is against Florida law," said Sharyn Kerwin, head of the Leon County chapter of Moms for Liberty and a member of the committee the advisory committee.

Critics of the notification policy say the district’s language is equating “gender identity” with LGBTQ sexuality. They note that even someone who is “straight” expresses themselves via their clothing choices or appearance and can be "open about their gender identity.” “Sending out a parent notification could be seen as placing a target on a student’s back,” said Lauren Kelly-Manders, a Tallahassee resident.