Feline pancretitis

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
a1mamacat

Feline pancretitis

#1 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:11 pm

A sneaky insidious disease.

Poor Java, my tuxedo cat has not eaten for four days, and is vomiting so much he has become dehydrated. The vet gave him fluids, and an anti-nausea shot, and gave me some pills for the next few days..antibiotics, tramadol and more anti-nausea meds.

He said if he doesn’t eat by Monday night, I will have to make a hard decision, as the body will start to basically eat itself. They can hospitalize him for two days, run a bunch of tests to confirm the diagnosis ($1200.00), then they can treat him for a few more days ($1200.00), or I can let him rest. Java will not take the pills, nor have I been able to get a syringe of dissolved meds in fluid into him. He is al least getting some water in him, but no food yet.

I am not having a good week. 🥺
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: Feline pancretitis

#2 Post by ontellen » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:03 pm

So sorry Trish. They bring so much love to you. We're on our 2nd tuxedo cat. Just love them.

Will be thinking of you.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:53 pm

Ouch. :cry: Tell him to cut way back on his vodka intake.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:55 pm

Oh, no. How old?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

wbtravis007

#5 Post by wbtravis007 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:59 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:11 pm
A sneaky insidious disease.

Poor Java, my tuxedo cat has not eaten for four days, and is vomiting so much he has become dehydrated. The vet gave him fluids, and an anti-nausea shot, and gave me some pills for the next few days..antibiotics, tramadol and more anti-nausea meds.

He said if he doesn’t eat by Monday night, I will have to make a hard decision, as the body will start to basically eat itself. They can hospitalize him for two days, run a bunch of tests to confirm the diagnosis ($1200.00), then they can treat him for a few more days ($1200.00), or I can let him rest. Java will not take the pills, nor have I been able to get a syringe of dissolved meds in fluid into him. He is al least getting some water in him, but no food yet.

I am not having a good week. 🥺
So sorry to hear this, Saucy. I’d recommend opting for him not suffering. Doesn’t sound like prolonging his life will be good for him. Tough choice. God bless you and him.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:49 am

Geez I'm sorry. Poor baby.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:59 am

I went through ketoacidosis with a kitty a few years, sounds like it is in this neighborhood but at least it was gentle, for her.

Hoping for the best. Listen to your pal; he will let you know if it is time.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.