Just for Fun: Lottery Math Question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Just for Fun: Lottery Math Question

#1 Post by Spock » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:36 am

I was looking at the websites for Powerball and Mega Millions and I am thinking about which one is (marginally) a better chance.

Powerball has the first 5 numbers from 1 to 69 and the PB itself from 1 to 26.

Whereas Mega Millions has the first 5 numbers from 1 to 70 and the Mega Number (or whatever it is called) from 1 to 25.

Without doing the math, I am thinking the odds are marginally better for Powerball because of the 70 factorial (mega millions) versus the 26 factorial (Powerball).

I hadn't bought a lottery ticket for years until Thanksgiving 2020 when I had to make a run to a convenience store and I decided to make a thing of it and I have rarely missed a drawing since (I buy 1 ticket for each drawing so it is no big deal). I had the Spocklette buy my tickets when we were in Africa.

Oddly enough, given the 1 to 26 for the Powerball number and the 1 to 25 for the Mega number, I have hit the Powerball number many more times than I have hit MegaMillions number.

Powerball did screw me up when they added a 3rd drawing a week in August for Monday nights. Prior I had my system of getting to town on Thursday and Sundays. I generally go to town on Thursdays anyway because that is the one day a week I buy the Minneapolis Star Trib because it has the Taste section in it.

silverscreenselect

Re: Just for Fun: Lottery Math Question

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:46 am

Spock wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:36 am
I was looking at the websites for Powerball and Mega Millions and I am thinking about which one is (marginally) a better chance.

Powerball has the first 5 numbers from 1 to 69 and the PB itself from 1 to 26.

Whereas Mega Millions has the first 5 numbers from 1 to 70 and the Mega Number (or whatever it is called) from 1 to 25.

Without doing the math, I am thinking the odds are marginally better for Powerball because of the 70 factorial (mega millions) versus the 26 factorial (Powerball).
You would be correct. The odds of winning Powerball are 1 in 292 million. The odds of winning Mega Millions are 1 in 302 million.

Although I can now legally play the lottery games, I haven't done so since I retired. By the way, the Mega Millions drawings are done here in Atlanta, with John Crow (who's an acquaintance of mine) usually hosting them.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jaybee

#3 Post by jaybee » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:35 pm

I read a stat recently that claimed that you have much better odds at dying in a car wreck while driving to buy a lottery ticket than you have at winning Powerball. Not sure if that's true or not but would not be surprised if it is.
Jaybee

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:11 am

jaybee wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:35 pm
I read a stat recently that claimed that you have much better odds at dying in a car wreck while driving to buy a lottery ticket than you have at winning Powerball. Not sure if that's true or not but would not be surprised if it is.
Most likely. Plus since it is 7 miles to my nearest convenience store-if I make a special trip it probably almost costs me more in gas than the tickets cost.

Thursday's trip I used to make anyway since that is the day that I went anyway to buy the Star Trib. Sunday probably went anyway. The one that screws me up is the new Monday night's drawing so I have to get to some town on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Apparently, you can buy for drawings past the next one, but some of the younger workers at my convenience store don't know how to do that.

I do like to buy the tickets (if I think of it) with quarters from the change jar. We have a special quarter bowl.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:17 am

Spock wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:11 am
jaybee wrote:
Most likely. Plus since it is 7 miles to my nearest convenience store-if I make a special trip it probably almost costs me more in gas than the tickets cost.

Thursday's trip I used to make anyway since that is the day that I went anyway to buy the Star Trib. Sunday probably went anyway. The one that screws me up is the new Monday night's drawing so I have to get to some town on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Apparently, you can buy for drawings past the next one, but some of the younger workers at my convenience store don't know how to do that.

I do like to buy the tickets (if I think of it) with quarters from the change jar. We have a special quarter bowl.
If I buy lottery tickets it is for entertainment purposes only. I know I could win so I get to dream a bit of "what if" with a dash of possibility. It's pleasurable, like smoking a cigarette is to a smoker, or playing some VR game and pretending. It is not a financial investment or strategy. I'm OK with burning a few bucks for the endorphins produced as I check the numbers.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:44 am

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:17 am
Spock wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:11 am
jaybee wrote:

If I buy lottery tickets it is for entertainment purposes only. I know I could win so I get to dream a bit of "what if" with a dash of possibility. It's pleasurable, like smoking a cigarette is to a smoker, or playing some VR game and pretending. It is not a financial investment or strategy. I'm OK with burning a few bucks for the endorphins produced as I check the numbers.
Yeah, it is obviously merely entertainment. I just got all anal and OCD about it and decided to try and buy one ticket for each drawing. I have contemplated doing a spreadsheet to see how much of the $520 per year I get back. My rough guess is about 10%.

Plus the family jokes are fun. The other day, Mrs. Spock said "Did you get YOUR lottery tickets?" I said "Hey, lady, you labeling them as MY lottery tickets will stand up in a court of law."-LOL.

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:21 am

Spock wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:44 am
I have contemplated doing a spreadsheet to see how much of the $520 per year I get back. My rough guess is about 10%.
It varies from state to state, but on average about 50 to 60% of lottery revenue goes back to the players in winnings. In Georgia, we got the biggest share of ticket sales from scratch off tickets, followed by the big jackpots (Powerball, mega millions) and daily draws (Cash3, Cash 4).

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:36 am

I seldom buy scratchers, but dropped $10 on one last night and scored $250
If only I could count on that kind of roi over the long term...
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

ShamelessWeasel

#9 Post by ShamelessWeasel » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:03 pm

Spock wrote:
Yeah, it is obviously merely entertainment. I just got all anal and OCD about it and decided to try and buy one ticket for each drawing. I have contemplated doing a spreadsheet to see how much of the $520 per year I get back. My rough guess is about 10%.
I have been running a lottery pool with some coworkers since 2007 which I have tracked via spreadsheet since then. We have won $100 a couple of times. Nothing bigger and many smaller wins. We roll the winnings in to the next buy.

Our payout is 11.34% of what we have paid in.

So you are very close to our lived experience

Spock

#10 Post by Spock » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 pm

ShamelessWeasel wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:03 pm
Spock wrote:
I have been running a lottery pool with some coworkers since 2007 which I have tracked via spreadsheet since then. We have won $100 a couple of times. Nothing bigger and many smaller wins. We roll the winnings in to the next buy.

Our payout is 11.34% of what we have paid in.

So you are very close to our lived experience
Do you buy extra tickets with the winnings with everyone still putting in their normal amount or do you reduce the buy-in for everybody and still buy the same number of total tickets?

jaybee

#11 Post by jaybee » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:02 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:36 am
You were lucky! I've played both scratch offs and regular lottery numbers since TN got the lottery (maybe 15 years ago?). Don't play on any regular schedule - have the same attitude as BiT. But in that time I've won $250 once, a hundred a couple of times and then smaller wins that just got traded in for new tickets.
Jaybee

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:06 pm

jaybee wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:02 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
You were lucky! I've played both scratch offs and regular lottery numbers since TN got the lottery (maybe 15 years ago?). Don't play on any regular schedule - have the same attitude as BiT. But in that time I've won $250 once, a hundred a couple of times and then smaller wins that just got traded in for new tickets.
Oh, I know it was pure luck (chance - whatever) which is why I seldom play the scratchers. If I'm going to use up a one-in-a-(several)-million chance, I want it to be on Powerball. :lol:
I figure, I don't drink (much at all) or smoke, so as vices go, a couple lottery tickets a week, when I remember, isn't too bad.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#13 Post by Spock » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:22 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:06 pm
jaybee wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Oh, I know it was pure luck (chance - whatever) which is why I seldom play the scratchers. If I'm going to use up a one-in-a-(several)-million chance, I want it to be on Powerball. :lol:
I figure, I don't drink (much at all) or smoke, so as vices go, a couple lottery tickets a week, when I remember, isn't too bad.
Apparently, she doesn't consider offing her business partners in the wilds of Montana a vice.

tlynn78

#14 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:26 pm

Spock wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:22 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:06 pm
jaybee wrote:

Apparently, she doesn't consider offing her business partners in the wilds of Montana a vice.
LOL! If memory serves, my 'partners' were planning my unaliving.

jaybee

#15 Post by jaybee » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:59 pm

Update: As I had picked up two $5 scratch off tickets on my way home today. Both winners!!! $5 on one and $10 on the other. A net win of a whopping $5. We're eatin' beans at the jaybee house tonight!
Jaybee

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:48 pm

I won $5,000 on Powerball in the mid-90s. If I go grocery shopping or buy gas, I might buy $20 worth of tickets. However, since I haven't gone grocery shopping in over three years and buy gas about every three months, I don't have many opportunities. I'm way ahead, no matter what.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#17 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:27 pm

jaybee wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:59 pm
Update: As I had picked up two $5 scratch off tickets on my way home today. Both winners!!! $5 on one and $10 on the other. A net win of a whopping $5. We're eatin' beans at the jaybee house tonight!

WooHOO!

Estonut
Evil Genius

#18 Post by Estonut » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:18 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:48 pm
I won $5,000 on Powerball in the mid-90s. If I go grocery shopping or buy gas, I might buy $20 worth of tickets. However, since I haven't gone grocery shopping in over three years and buy gas about every three months, I don't have many opportunities. I'm way ahead, no matter what.
You missed at least 2 chances:

https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/1 ... oro-valley

https://www.kold.com/2020/08/10/powerba ... unclaimed/
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:50 pm

ShamelessWeasel

#20 Post by ShamelessWeasel » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:32 pm

Spock wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 pm
Do you buy extra tickets with the winnings with everyone still putting in their normal amount or do you reduce the buy-in for everybody and still buy the same number of total tickets?
We reduce the buy in

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:50 pm

Estonut wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:18 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:48 pm
You missed at least two chances:

https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/1 ... oro-valley

https://www.kold.com/2020/08/10/powerba ... unclaimed/
That's the station where I get gas. There were also two on March 1, 2022, and another at a station nearby in May 2020.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.