The 40-Mile Convoy

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Message
Author
User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24871
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#26 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:00 pm

I saw a claim that a dozen regiments had been wiped out. That's around 6000 soldiers.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#27 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:26 pm

Anyone interested in some detailed reporting of the ground fighting should check out this article. It describes a 2-day battle for a town of 35,000 in the south of Ukraine, near Crimea. Supposedly, the Russians are doing better there because their supply lines are shorter and the quality of the troops they have are better (partisans from the separatist regions with combat experience and professional soldiers as opposed to conscripts). But as this article describes, a combination of Ukrainian Army and armed civilian defense forces without a single armored vehicle routed a Russian attack force of 400 troops and over 40 vehicles, destroying most of the vehicles and killing over 100 soldiers. Multiply this a few dozen times throughout the country and the casualty figures being quoted don't seem that farfetched.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukraine-ru ... lewebshare
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24871
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#28 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:55 pm

The downside of the Ukrainian's successes is that the far-right militias are encouraged to do more.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24871
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#29 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:04 am

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
Estonut
Evil Genius
Posts: 10291
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#30 Post by Estonut » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:25 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:04 am
So what's your take? Did you watch past the first 12 seconds?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#31 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:10 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:43 pm
The count is now up to four Russian generals dead (plus one Chechen).

One of the things I had wondered about was why the Ukrainians weren't engaging in significant behind-the-lines guerilla warfare in the occupied areas in the south and east. There have been a number of photos and videos of unarmed protesters standing in front of Russian tanks but no Molotov cocktail sneak attacks that I'd heard of. That changed today when the Ukrainians hit a formation of Russian helicopters using the airport in Kherson, the largest city occupied by the Russians in the war. Several helicopters were destroyed and the smoke was visible for miles around.
The total is now up to five (plus one Chechen). This time it was a lieutenant general, which is a higher rank than the other major generals who had been killed earlier. The Russians supposedly have only about 20 generals total in Ukraine, so that's a very high percentage to have lost. These appear to be various types of targeted strikes based on some pretty good intelligence.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24871
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#32 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:54 am

https://theweek.com/russo-ukrainian-war ... diers-have

More than 9,800 Russian troops have been killed and more than 16,000 wounded since the invasion of Ukraine began on Feb. 24, according to data from the Russian Defense Ministry cited in and then removed from an article in a pro-Kremlin tabloid, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday.

Journal foreign affairs correspondent Yaroslav Trofimov tweeted a screenshot of the article, which began by citing Ukrainian claims that over 14,000 Russian troops have been killed.

"The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation refutes the information," the article claimed. "According to the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, during the special operation in Ukraine, the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation lost 9,861 [soldiers] killed" and "16,153 ... injured."

The Russian casualty figures were removed from the Komsomolskaya Pravda article four hours after it was published on Sunday afternoon. Mark Graham, who manages the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, helped The Week locate the original version. The version currently accessible on Komsomolskaya Pravda's website makes no mention of the update.

In 2015, The Moscow Times reported that Komsomolskaya Pravda is part of a select group of Russian news outlets known as "our guys" whose news editors have yellow phones on their desks that link directly to the Kremlin.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#33 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:06 am

The Ukrainians hit a different Russian supply line today rather spectacularly. Missiles hit a very large landing ship in the port of Berdyansk near Mariupol. The Russians had been using this port to resupply their units around Mariupol. Just a couple of days earlier, the Russians released a news video in English showing how military vehicles were being unloaded from the Orsk, the same ship that sank today. Obviously, the Ukrainians watched that same video. Two other landing ships got away but both appear to have suffered some damage as well. With the destroyed ship still in the harbor, that means that the offloading capabilities there will be cut back significantly, not to mention whatever vehicles and munitions blew up.

Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24871
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#34 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:58 am

Kick ass and don't give a shit about the names.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#35 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:31 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:06 am
The Ukrainians hit a different Russian supply line today rather spectacularly. Missiles hit a very large landing ship in the port of Berdyansk near Mariupol. The Russians had been using this port to resupply their units around Mariupol. Just a couple of days earlier, the Russians released a news video in English showing how military vehicles were being unloaded from the Orsk, the same ship that sank today. Obviously, the Ukrainians watched that same video. Two other landing ships got away but both appear to have suffered some damage as well. With the destroyed ship still in the harbor, that means that the offloading capabilities there will be cut back significantly, not to mention whatever vehicles and munitions blew up.
By land, air and now sea, Russian troops continue to advance and reinforce into Ukraine. "The Azov Sea, with its ports and towns, is now under Russian control...which has allowed Russia's Black Sea fleet to and the Orsk landing ship to stage this operation. The point of this ship is to transport troops and heavy equipment. It can fit as many as 20 tanks or 40 armored personnel carriers, along with hundreds upon hundreds of troops.
That's from a video of an RT news report posted on Twitter Wednesday. That's the same ship Orsk that's now at the bottom of the harbor.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#36 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:51 am

And now we're up to six Russian generals (plus one Chechen). This time another lieutenant general, the highest ranking officer killed so far. The Ukrainians appear to have targeted his command post once again indicating they've got some pretty good intel about whenever the Russian brass come into target range. That's half the number the US lost in a decade of fighting in Vietnam.

They didn't have to target one Russian colonel in charge of a tank brigade. He was run over intentionally by one of his own soldiers upset about how the war was going. He's still alive but can't be in too good shape if a tanke rolled over him.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Vandal
Director of Promos
Posts: 5793
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Literary Circles
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#37 Post by Vandal » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:56 pm

Image
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Working on:
Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#38 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:14 am

Last night, there was a big explosion as an ammunition depot in Belgograd blew up. Belgograd is a Russian city of about 400,000 people 25 miles from the Ukraine border. It's the nearest sizable Russian city to Ukraine. I've seen footage of the blast and there's flame going up 50-100 in the air and secondary explosions of ammo. The Ukrainians claim a missile hit it while the Russians first seemed to confirm this, then said it was an accident. That's a pretty big accident. This would be the first significant strike of any sort by the Ukrainians of a target inside Russia.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#39 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:35 am

Several busloads of Russian soldiers were taken from the nuclear plant at Chernobyl to hospital facilities in Belarus for possible radiation poisoning. Those who have seen the reports doubt that the soldiers could have come across anything in their duty around the plant that would cause something likely to be fatal in the short run. Needless to say, however, it can't be good for their health. The Russians were unaware of the health risks around the plant (some areas are still off limits 35 years later and that's where the supposedly radiated soldiers were on duty, digging trenches and foxholes in some cases) and many didn't even know what had happened there. The Russians are now abandoning the facility.

A report on the Russian lack of safety precautions:

https://fortune.com/2022/03/29/chernoby ... radiation/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
jarnon
Posts: 5540
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Location: Merion, Pa.

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#40 Post by jarnon » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:32 pm

Old news, but it belongs in this topic.

On 24 February, the Russian navy attacked Snake Island in the Black Sea. Ukrainian border guard Roman Hrybov gave a memorable response.



General McAuliffe would be proud.

In March, the Ukrainian postal service held a competition to design a stamp commemorating the Snake Island battle. The winner, by artist Boris Groh:

Image

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#41 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:32 pm

jarnon wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:32 pm
In March, the Ukrainian postal service held a competition to design a stamp commemorating the Snake Island battle. The winner, by artist Boris Groh:

Image
There are multiple news reports, as yet unconfirmed, that the ship shown on this stamp, the missile cruiser Moskva, was hit by Ukrainian missiles within the last couple of hours and is now on fire.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#42 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:09 pm

The Russians have now confirmed that the Moskva has sunk due to an "ammunition explosion." They claim the crew was all evacuated safely, although if there's a major ammo explosion on a ship like this, it's hard to believe there weren't substantial casualties. The Moskva had a crew of 500 and was supposedly the best equipped of the three missile cruisers in the Black Sea (the largest Russian ships in that theater). Many of the cruise missiles that have hit Ukrainean targets since the war began came from the Moskva.

I have a feeling that the attack on the Moskva right after that stamp was issued was no coincidence.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#43 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:13 am

Conflicting reports out now whether the Moskva has actually sunk or is merely badly damaged and being towed to port as the Russians claim. If the ship is still afloat, I presume we will get photographic evidence of that at some point. In either event, the ship is out of commission for the duration of this war. The biggest difference would be that if the ship is still afloat, some of its missile systems, munitions, and other electronic capabilities may still be salvageable.

The Ukrainian attack was a bit of tactical brilliance on their part. The Moskva was only about 60 miles offshore, closer than it needed to be. The Ukrainians launched a drone on one side of the ship to distract the Russians while they launched two anti-ship missiles on the other side. The main Russian radar has only a 180-degree field of vision and could not see the incoming missiles. Other radar systems should have been able to pick up the missiles, but there were high waves that night and the waves probably helped disguise the low-flying missiles.

The Moskva is literally irreplaceable at the present time. Turkey is not allowing warships into the Black Sea, so the Russians can't send in a similar vessel. The Moskva was the flagship of the Black Sea fleet and its loss means a significant diminution in Russian missile launching capabilities.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24871
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#44 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:08 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:13 am
Conflicting reports out now whether the Moskva has actually sunk or is merely badly damaged and being towed to port as the Russians claim. If the ship is still afloat, I presume we will get photographic evidence of that at some point. In either event, the ship is out of commission for the duration of this war. The biggest difference would be that if the ship is still afloat, some of its missile systems, munitions, and other electronic capabilities may still be salvageable.

The Ukrainian attack was a bit of tactical brilliance on their part. The Moskva was only about 60 miles offshore, closer than it needed to be. The Ukrainians launched a drone on one side of the ship to distract the Russians while they launched two anti-ship missiles on the other side. The main Russian radar has only a 180-degree field of vision and could not see the incoming missiles. Other radar systems should have been able to pick up the missiles, but there were high waves that night and the waves probably helped disguise the low-flying missiles.

The Moskva is literally irreplaceable at the present time. Turkey is not allowing warships into the Black Sea, so the Russians can't send in a similar vessel. The Moskva was the flagship of the Black Sea fleet and its loss means a significant diminution in Russian missile launching capabilities.
Russia announced it sank.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#45 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:13 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:13 am
Conflicting reports out now whether the Moskva has actually sunk or is merely badly damaged and being towed to port as the Russians claim. If the ship is still afloat, I presume we will get photographic evidence of that at some point. In either event, the ship is out of commission for the duration of this war. The biggest difference would be that if the ship is still afloat, some of its missile systems, munitions, and other electronic capabilities may still be salvageable.

The Ukrainian attack was a bit of tactical brilliance on their part. The Moskva was only about 60 miles offshore, closer than it needed to be. The Ukrainians launched a drone on one side of the ship to distract the Russians while they launched two anti-ship missiles on the other side. The main Russian radar has only a 180-degree field of vision and could not see the incoming missiles. Other radar systems should have been able to pick up the missiles, but there were high waves that night and the waves probably helped disguise the low-flying missiles.

The Moskva is literally irreplaceable at the present time. Turkey is not allowing warships into the Black Sea, so the Russians can't send in a similar vessel. The Moskva was the flagship of the Black Sea fleet and its loss means a significant diminution in Russian missile launching capabilities.
The Russians now admit that the Moskva has sunk, although they claim it occurred while the ship was being towed to port. The remaining Russian cruisers in the Black Sea are somewhat smaller, so their capacity to launch naval Cruise missiles at Ukrainian targets has just been reduced substantially. The Russian navy only has two other sister ships to the Moskva, neither in the Black Sea, and three larger vessels overall, none in the Black Sea. BTW, the Moskva is the largest ship sunk in combat since World War II.

I'm reminded of one of the articles Spock linked to when the war began, featuring a journalist who compared the Russian navy to the Ukrainian navy based on his observations of sailors on shore leave in 2010. Yet another article that hasn't aged well.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24871
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#46 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:59 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:13 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:13 am
Conflicting reports out now whether the Moskva has actually sunk or is merely badly damaged and being towed to port as the Russians claim. If the ship is still afloat, I presume we will get photographic evidence of that at some point. In either event, the ship is out of commission for the duration of this war. The biggest difference would be that if the ship is still afloat, some of its missile systems, munitions, and other electronic capabilities may still be salvageable.

The Ukrainian attack was a bit of tactical brilliance on their part. The Moskva was only about 60 miles offshore, closer than it needed to be. The Ukrainians launched a drone on one side of the ship to distract the Russians while they launched two anti-ship missiles on the other side. The main Russian radar has only a 180-degree field of vision and could not see the incoming missiles. Other radar systems should have been able to pick up the missiles, but there were high waves that night and the waves probably helped disguise the low-flying missiles.

The Moskva is literally irreplaceable at the present time. Turkey is not allowing warships into the Black Sea, so the Russians can't send in a similar vessel. The Moskva was the flagship of the Black Sea fleet and its loss means a significant diminution in Russian missile launching capabilities.
The Russians now admit that the Moskva has sunk, although they claim it occurred while the ship was being towed to port. The remaining Russian cruisers in the Black Sea are somewhat smaller, so their capacity to launch naval Cruise missiles at Ukrainian targets has just been reduced substantially. The Russian navy only has two other sister ships to the Moskva, neither in the Black Sea, and three larger vessels overall, none in the Black Sea. BTW, the Moskva is the largest ship sunk in combat since World War II.

I'm reminded of one of the articles Spock linked to when the war began, featuring a journalist who compared the Russian navy to the Ukrainian navy based on his observations of sailors on shore leave in 2010. Yet another article that hasn't aged well.
Russia has repositioned its remaining ships father from land as a result.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24871
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#47 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:04 pm

Image
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#48 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:01 pm

Image
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#49 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:12 am

Not surprisingly, the captain of the Moskva was among those killed in the explosion. He is the officer who gave the order to fire on Snake Island when the war began. The Russians haven't released any casualty totals, but the ship carried a crew of about 500.

There are also unconfirmed reports that the Admiral of the Black Sea fleet, who would have overall responsibility for naval operations in the war, has been arrested.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 20477
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The 40-Mile Convoy

#50 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:05 pm

The count is now up to seven Russian generals and one Chechen killed in Ukraine. This last general hadn't been claimed previously by Ukrainian media sources but his death was confirmed by the Russians themselves who reported his funeral today.

And the Admiral of the Black Sea fleet is alive but out of action in prison.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Post Reply