My Gawd, The West is Laughable

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Re: My Gawd, The West is Laughable

#76 Post by jarnon » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:16 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:49 am
Not as spiffy as one of USA Today's Women of the Year
(very fitting of this thread)
Dr. Levine was an excellent health secretary in Pennsylvania in the first year of the coronavirus crisis. That's how she got her federal job, not to fill some LGBT quota.

OTOH, I think it's silly for any Assistant Secretary of Health to be a PHS admiral. It's like a Defense Secretary in a general's uniform.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#77 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:31 am

More about the actual training of those "elite" Russian troops that Spock and other right-wingers drool over. from Politico Europe"
There have been many reports of defections from Russian side, but also of Russian-on-Russian attacks, such as alleged killing of brigade commander Yakov Ryazantsev, who reportedly died after being run over by an armored vehicle driven by his own troops.

Now, I'm not saying the one and only reason Ryazantsev was likely killed by his own forces was because of dedovshchina (which, literally translated, means something akin to "the reign of the grandfathers".) But I do think this could well be a major contributing factor. Dedovshchina has been widespread in Russian forces since the Soviet period. What is it? It’s the most brutal form of hazing you can imagine. Simply put, it’s the torture of junior members of the armed forces by those above them on the food chain. I’ve heard stories about it first hand from family and friends who have been conscripted. Conscripts are raped, beaten, suffer sleep deprivation, are forced to lick floors and toilets, to eat excrement, to torture others.

Russia claims it has stamped out dedovshchina, in large part by reducing the length of time new conscripts serve (to try to get rid of the grandfathers). But it remains a major problem, with repeated instances of suicide and revenge killings. In 2019, for instance, there was this report of a Russian conscript who allegedly shot and killed eight of his fellow soldiers, including two officers, on an army base, with his father blaming the his son's torture at the hands of the dedovshchina.

Now here's the thing. We know Russia is using conscripts to fight its war against Ukraine. Most estimates indicate that approximately 25 percent of the Russian military is made up of conscripts. There are all the obvious reasons why using conscripts in a hot war is a bad idea. They don't have much training, they have little technical expertise. They're basically kids - born in the 2000s. But now add to all that, the fact that these kids have been brutalised by their superiors. They have been deployed to Ukraine with expired and insufficient rations, and are being asked to sacrifice their lives for people who have literally tortured them. Research indicates the most important factor in motivating armed forces is the bonds formed between members of a squad. There are other elements (ideology, patriotism, self-preservation), but the bond is the No. 1 motivator. But in Russian forces, the bond is, to put it mildly, fucked. You have young conscripts who have been tortured by their so-called brothers in arms. They have been brutalised, and then told to go fight alongside the people who have brutalised them.

In one of Ukrainian President Zelenskyy's speeches on social media, he addressed Russian conscripts directly, saying: "If you surrender to our forces, we will treat you the way people ought to be treated … The way you were not treated in your army." That's super smart. Because Zalenskyy knows exactly what he's talking about. He knows what these kids have been through at the hands of their so-called superiors.

Now, consider this scenario: A quarter of your forces have been tortured by a whole bunch of other members of your forces. Now all these people are deployed into a hot war, with guns. How can any of these people trust one another to have each other's backs? If you're one of the conscripts who has recently been beaten or raped or both by someone you're fighting alongside - do you really want to die for them? Or might your finger slip on the trigger? Might you accidentally run over them? Or might you, perhaps, take up the Ukrainian president's offer to lay down your arms?
https://twitter.com/zoyashef/status/1507524867545243651

BTW, the next draft in Russia begins April 1. Let's see how well people respond to attempts to conscript them.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#78 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:26 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:31 am
BTW, the next draft in Russia begins April 1. Let's see how well people respond to attempts to conscript them.
Here's a photo taken recently outside a Russian military recruitment office. Quite a contrast to Spock's video shown at the top of this thread. But these are the guys who will be dying in Ukraine in a couple of months if the war goes on. PS, many of them are convicts getting a "get out of jail free" pass.

Weyoun

#79 Post by Weyoun » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:50 am

Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:26 am
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:31 am
Here's a photo taken recently outside a Russian military recruitment office. Quite a contrast to Spock's video shown at the top of this thread. But these are the guys who will be dying in Ukraine in a couple of months if the war goes on. PS, many of them are convicts getting a "get out of jail free" pass.

Are they gay? Transgender? Those are the only things Spock, BiT, etc seem to worry about.

BackInTex

#80 Post by BackInTex » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:08 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:50 am

Are they gay? Transgender? Those are the only things Spock, BiT, etc seem to worry about.
You're the one bringing it up, like everything else..
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Weyoun

#81 Post by Weyoun » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:07 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:08 pm
Weyoun wrote:

I didn’t post the Rachel Levine photo, buddy

tlynn78

#82 Post by tlynn78 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:34 am

BackInTex wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

He seems weirdly interested in the sexual leanings of the guys on the right here.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Weyoun

#83 Post by Weyoun » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:52 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:34 am
BackInTex wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

He seems weirdly interested in the sexual leanings of the guys on the right here.
There’s someone on here who randomly speculates that women are lesbians because they are ugly, and roots for Russia when it invades an independent country because Putin cracks down on homosexuals - but I’m the one obsessed with this, sure.

silverscreenselect

#84 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:50 pm

It's been a while since Spock posted this recruitment video, so I thought I'd show a couple of more recent Russian recruitment videos. Here's a recruiting office in Uryupinsk following Putin's new mobilization:

And here's a new recruit in Irkutsk showing off his firearms proficiency:

jarnon

#85 Post by jarnon » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:02 pm

What Ted Cruz and Tucker Carlson [and Spock] Don’t Understand About War

Pull quote >>> Recent events should banish the idea that the more aggressive killing machine wins the war. Intelligence, technological savvy, and social integration are the assets that matter most on the modern battlefield. <<<
Last edited by jarnon on Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#86 Post by BackInTex » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:51 pm

jarnon wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:02 pm
What Trd Cruz and Tucker Carlson [and Spock] Don’t Understand About War

Pull quote >>> Recent events should banish the idea that the more aggressive killing machine wins the war. Intelligence, technological savvy, and social integration are the assets that matter most on the modern battlefield. <<<
I struggle to think of another case in the past 100 years when a major military power has performed as poorly against an adversary it was heavily favored to defeat.
This quote alone renders the author worthless as a historical let alone war scholar. USSR (not just Russia) vs Afghanistan. USA vs Vietnam.

Russia vs The Ukraine is not Fezzik (Andre the Giant) vs Ross Mathews (Ross the Intern), but more Fezzik vs. Westley (The Dread Pirate Roberts).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#87 Post by jarnon » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:23 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:51 pm
I struggle to think of another case in the past 100 years when a major military power has performed as poorly against an adversary it was heavily favored to defeat.
This quote alone renders the author worthless as a historical let alone war scholar. USSR (not just Russia) vs Afghanistan. USA vs Vietnam
I was thinking along the same lines when I read the article. Though smaller nimble forces have been successful against big lumbering armies in asymmetrical warfare, from the French and Indian War to the present, the Ukraine conflict stands out because it's a more traditional European land war.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#88 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:42 pm

BackInTex wrote:
This quote alone renders the author worthless as a historical let alone war scholar. USSR (not just Russia) vs Afghanistan. USA vs Vietnam.
The U.S. did not "lose" in Vietnam and the Soviet Union did not lose in Afghanistan the way Germany lost World War II or the Confederacy lost the Civil War. Both the U.S. and the Soviet Union won the major battles in which their forces engaged. Further, they suffered considerably fewer casualties than their opposition, thanks in large part to their superior weaponry. What the Afghans and North Vietnamese did was to outlast the enemy by hanging around and retaking territory after the victors left the battlefields. Eventually, both the Soviet Union and the U.S. got tired of fighting and left, but they weren't defeated in the conventional sense.

In Ukraine, the Russians have lost a good bit of the territory they occupied in the first few weeks of the war and have suffered considerably higher casualties than the Ukrainians.

By the way, Phillips O'Brien, the author of the article, is one of the most insightful international commenters on the Ukraine War.

BackInTex

#89 Post by BackInTex » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:52 pm

Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:42 pm
BackInTex wrote:
The U.S. did not "lose" in Vietnam and the Soviet Union did not lose in Afghanistan the way Germany lost World War II or the Confederacy lost the Civil War. Both the U.S. and the Soviet Union won the major battles in which their forces engaged. Further, they suffered considerably fewer casualties than their opposition, thanks in large part to their superior weaponry. What the Afghans and North Vietnamese did was to outlast the enemy by hanging around and retaking territory after the victors left the battlefields. Eventually, both the Soviet Union and the U.S. got tired of fighting and left, but they weren't defeated in the conventional sense.

In Ukraine, the Russians have lost a good bit of the territory they occupied in the first few weeks of the war and have suffered considerably higher casualties than the Ukrainians.

By the way, Phillips O'Brien, the author of the article, is one of the most insightful international commenters on the Ukraine War.
“lose”. Not in the quote I posted. Not in my comments. This is another of your attempts to, heck I don’t know the term, to just disagree because it’s against your desired message.

“Perform poorly “. That’s the term. If you don’t think the US or Russia performed poorly against a significantly inferior foe then you haven’t a clue about poor vs excellent performance, militarily.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#90 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:32 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:52 pm
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:42 pm

“lose”. Not in the quote I posted. Not in my comments. This is another of your attempts to, heck I don’t know the term, to just disagree because it’s against your desired message.

“Perform poorly “. That’s the term. If you don’t think the US or Russia performed poorly against a significantly inferior foe then you haven’t a clue about poor vs excellent performance, militarily.
You're doing the same thing you accused me of. The quote in the article was that he struggled to think of another case in which a major military power "performed as poorly." You left out the key word "as." There is a big difference between winding up in a stalemate and failing to win a war (which is what happened at the time the U.S. and Soviet Union pulled out) and getting rolled up on the battlefield, as Russia is now doing. Earlier this year, some people suggested that a similar stalemate would occur in Ukraine, leading to a brokered settlement in which Russia kept some or all of the territory it captured. The recent Ukrainian successes on the battlefield and Putin's response make this scenario highly unlikely right now.

Weyoun

#91 Post by Weyoun » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:34 am

https://nypost.com/2022/09/29/us-army-m ... to-russia/

This oddly ties so much together. I wonder if Spock’s head will explode knowing a transgender doctor is siding with Putin.

I became aware of the story because I went to school with his wife, who was and apparently is crazy. She’s Russian by birth.

BackInTex

#92 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:16 am

Weyoun wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:34 am

This oddly ties so much together. I wonder if Spock’s head will explode knowing a transgender doctor is siding with Putin.

I became aware of the story because I went to school with his wife, who was and apparently is crazy. She’s Russian by birth.
Oh no! You are boing to get pronoun shamed by Bob#.

Best I can tell is the Major is biologically male, but considers himself a woman. The major has been referred to him, her, and thier inconsitently across media platforms. I'm sure his feelings are hurting something terrible.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#93 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:37 am

Weyoun wrote:

I think you meant her wife. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#94 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:38 am

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:16 am
Weyoun wrote:

Oh no! You are boing to get pronoun shamed by Bob#.

Best I can tell is the Major is biologically male, but considers himself a woman. The major has been referred to him, her, and thier inconsitently across media platforms. I'm sure his feelings are hurting something terrible.
Until proven otherwise, I assume that misgendering is either accidental or a slip of the keyboard. You have long since proven in your case that it's a delibrate expression of your bigotry. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Weyoun

#95 Post by Weyoun » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:42 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:37 am
Weyoun wrote:

I actually don't - I am Facebook friends with the wife... can't wait to see where this goes... and he seems back to using male pronouns now? He also dresses and appears as a man these days.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#96 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:53 am

Weyoun wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:42 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:37 am
Weyoun wrote:

I actually don't - I am Facebook friends with the wife... can't wait to see where this goes... and he seems back to using male pronouns now? He also dresses and appears as a man these days.
Got it. Thanks for the explanation. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#97 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:37 am

Weyoun wrote:
If you're trying to do business with Putin, even illegal business, it helps to appear as masculine as possible.

And I'm still trying to figure out how medical records of U.S. personnel would help Russian in its was against Ukraine.

BackInTex

#98 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:03 pm

Weyoun wrote:
. and he seems back to using male pronouns now? He also dresses and appears as a man these days.
So he was a man, then a woman, now back to a man, but it's his wife who is crazy. I can see where that might be the case.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Weyoun

#99 Post by Weyoun » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:00 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:03 pm
Weyoun wrote:
. and he seems back to using male pronouns now? He also dresses and appears as a man these days.
So he was a man, then a woman, now back to a man, but it's his wife who is crazy. I can see where that might be the case.
Well I don’t know him… her…. him.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#100 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:19 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:00 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:03 pm
Weyoun wrote:
Well I don’t know him… her…. him.
Weyoun, I'm actually curious about your take on the wife. How was she crazy and would anyone contact you about that?
Well, then