Reacher on Amazon Prime

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

Reacher on Amazon Prime

#1 Post by Vandal » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:54 am

I watched the first two episodes of Reacher this weekend and thought Amazon Prime did good job of showing the viewers the real Jack Reacher, as opposed to the Tom Cruise version in the two movies. Alan Ritchson plays Reacher and, at six foot two and ripped like a body builder, is very close to the bulky, six foot five character Lee Child describes in the two dozen+ Reacher novels. Cruise, at five seven, was never a convincing Reacher, at least to me. Ritchson, however, is quite convincing in the many fight scenes and captures the stoic nature of Reacher perfectly (he doesn't speak for the first five or so minutes of E1).

The series is based on the original Reacher novel, Killing Floor. I've read several Reacher books, but not this one. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

Re: Reacher on Amazon Prime

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:42 am

Amazon did an excellent job with the Jack Ryan and Bosch series, so I'm hopeful for this one. Supposedly, in order to pad the running time of the series to eight hours, they have added a couple of Jack Reacher short stories to the series. I think they will incorporate these as flashbacks to help establish the character better.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:55 am

Really enjoy those books - couldn't even watch the TC movies - I'll have to check this out.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jaybee

#4 Post by jaybee » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:04 pm

I'll have to check that out. I thought having TC play the much larger Reacher was a mistake but thought he carried it off quite well. (it was still a mistake though). My biggest gripe with the TC versions was that they incorporated way too many car chase scenes to get that typical action stuff. In the books Reacher hardly does anything with cars and is an admittedly poor driver.
Jaybee

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:25 pm

The Ritchson version of Reacher can break zip ties around his wrists and it looks perfectly natural. No way Cruise's physique could pull that off.

To me, it's like asking Kevin Hart to star in The Lebron James Story.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:08 pm

Ranger Jeff has read most of these books. We are looking forward to watching.
Well, then

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:59 pm

Damn, the big tech algorithms are good (at spying on you)
I read this thread maybe 20 minutes ago and now my YouTube feed is full of Reacher videos-after never showing up there before-and I check Youtube a fair bit.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:31 pm

It's good. The Reacher show.
Well, then

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:07 pm

Vandal wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:25 pm
No way Cruise's physique could pull that off.
It's not that hard.

https://www.air.tv/watch?v=pr8MlAd6TYWe91XhvZCh0A
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#10 Post by Vandal » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:41 pm

Estonut wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:07 pm
Vandal wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:25 pm
No way Cruise's physique could pull that off.
It's not that hard.

https://www.air.tv/watch?v=pr8MlAd6TYWe91XhvZCh0A
She's way bigger than TC!
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

themanintheseersuckersuit

#11 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:13 am

Renewed for a second season
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#12 Post by Vandal » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:05 am

Sorry to interrupt the political fun fest, but I watched the entire first season of Reacher and really enjoyed it. Mindless fun. Some questions remain:
Spoiler
- Reacher is jacked to the gills. When does he have time to work out? They never show him doing sit-ups, push-ups, doorway pullups, let alone pumping the amount of iron needed to keep his rack as is.

- Why do his mother and brother call him Reacher?

- What happens to all the dead bodies? You'd think a small town with such a high body count would make national news or draw some attention.
I look forward to season 2.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:39 am

Mrs. BiT and I have 2 more episodes to watch. So far it's entertaining and fun to watch.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

tlynn78

#14 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:02 pm

I'm about 4 episodes in - pretty good. I've read or listened to several Reacher novels, and I'm wondering if they showrunners are mixing elements from more than one novel. I haven't read/heard "Killing Ground" that I remember, but the plot device that actually brought him to town is very, very familiar - similar to "The Affair" if memory serves (and it may not)
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:13 pm

I haven't gotten to Reacher yet. Amazon Prime has Season 1 of City on a Hill from Showtime free until the end of February, so I"m hustling to get all the episodes in before then. I finished Mayor of Kingstown before that. These two series are very gritty and similar in a lot of ways. Dirty cops, dirty crooks, dirty everything, except a few are a little more clean than others. Both of them are very well done but you feel you need a shower after every episode.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#16 Post by Vandal » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:50 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:02 pm
I'm about 4 episodes in - pretty good. I've read or listened to several Reacher novels, and I'm wondering if they showrunners are mixing elements from more than one novel. I haven't read/heard "Killing Ground" that I remember, but the plot device that actually brought him to town is very, very familiar - similar to "The Affair" if memory serves (and it may not)
I have read several Reacher books, but not Killing Ground. I’ve read on other sites that this series follows it pretty closely, but the novel is written in first person, so it is a creative chore to get Reacher’s internal thoughts onto the screen. According to wiki, The Affair is a prequel, so there may be some similarities.

I haven’t heard which book will be the basis for season two.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#17 Post by Vandal » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:28 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:13 pm
...Dirty cops, dirty crooks, dirty everything, except a few are a little more clean than others. Both of them are very well done but you feel you need a shower after every episode.
I feel the same way after reading some of the recent threads on this Bored.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

tlynn78

#18 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:27 am

Just started episode 7 last night before I got too sleepy - the body count is getting up there. It's quite well done, in spite of some of the usual book-to-movie/tv necessities. Looking forward to S2.

I'd love to see what Amazon would do with the JD Robb series.

#19 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:45 pm

Vandal wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:05 am
Sorry to interrupt the political fun fest, but I watched the entire first season of Reacher and really enjoyed it. Mindless fun. Some questions remain:
Spoiler
- Reacher is jacked to the gills. When does he have time to work out? They never show him doing sit-ups, push-ups, doorway pullups, let alone pumping the amount of iron needed to keep his rack as is.

- What happens to all the dead bodies? You'd think a small town with such a high body count would make national news or draw some attention.
Well, early in the book timeline he dug a pool in Key West with a shovel.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:06 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:13 pm
I haven't gotten to Reacher yet. Amazon Prime has Season 1 of City on a Hill from Showtime free until the end of February, so I"m hustling to get all the episodes in before then. I finished Mayor of Kingstown before that. These two series are very gritty and similar in a lot of ways. Dirty cops, dirty crooks, dirty everything, except a few are a little more clean than others. Both of them are very well done but you feel you need a shower after every episode.
I'm surprised that "City on a Hill" had a second season and has been given a third; its ratings have been abysmal.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#21 Post by Vandal » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:54 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:45 pm
Vandal wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:05 am
Spoiler

Well, early in the book timeline he dug a pool in Key West with a shovel.
Who hasn’t?
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

#22 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:35 pm

Vandal wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:50 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
I have read several Reacher books, but not Killing Ground. I’ve read on other sites that this series follows it pretty closely, but the novel is written in first person, so it is a creative chore to get Reacher’s internal thoughts onto the screen. According to wiki, The Affair is a prequel, so there may be some similarities.

I read (listened) The Killing Floor earlier the year now the it is available as a audio book. Season 1 followed the book book pretty closely. I think Neagley may have been added. Reading it I thought it was more violent than the later books.
Suitguy is not bitter.

tlynn78

#23 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:32 pm

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:35 pm
Vandal wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

I read (listened) The Killing Floor earlier the year now the it is available as a audio book. Season 1 followed the book book pretty closely. I think Neagley may have been added. Reading it I thought it was more violent than the later books.

Finished up last night. I think my tolerance for suspension of disbelief was stretched a little more each episode, but all in all, not bad. At least they know how to do a good shower scene.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#24 Post by Vandal » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:19 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:32 pm
Vandal wrote:

Finished up last night. I think my tolerance for suspension of disbelief was stretched a little more each episode, but all in all, not bad. At least they know how to do a good shower scene.
Someone on another board wondered why Roscoe was wearing high heels in that shower scene. I can honestly say I never noticed her footwear.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

tlynn78

#25 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:34 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:19 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:32 pm

Someone on another board wondered why Roscoe was wearing high heels in that shower scene. I can honestly say I never noticed her footwear.
I don't recall seeing her feet in the shot- lol - but I do remember wondering at times how tall the actress is, she "seems" petite, but isn't exactly dwarfed by the Reacher character when they're standing close to one another