Perspectives #2

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

Perspectives #2

#1 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:34 pm

Well, the first one apparently hasn't gotten anybody to re-examine their opinions or tactics for discussing issues. Same old same old. But at least I didn't have to add anything to my signature.

Last year, I quit the BBBL fantasy league when MLB decided to pull the All Star Game out of Atlanta, revealing to the world that they are no longer a sports league, but a political subsidiary of the woke movement. And they aren't even close to being the worst. I loved the MLS until they sold themselves to the woke idiots. The NFL isn't much better.

I did not get much love, and didn't expect any, from the other BBBL 'owners'. But this video helps explain why I left and why I now avoid watching sports on TV and will NEVER buy a ticket to any sports league that openly supports one side of a political issue.

https://www.prageru.com/video/get-polit ... -of-sports

PS: The only sports I watched in 2021 was College Football (I spent money subscribing to FUBO to watch SEC games), a couple of Seattle Sounders MLS games when they came back, until I saw how they advertised and proclaimed their wokeness from every corner of the field and it made me nauseous, and some of the baseball playoff games that the Braves were in. Not one NFL or NBA game. And I did not miss it. Perhaps I'll see if I can get interested in the NHL. Are they woke? I hope not.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

Re: Perspectives #2

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:56 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:34 pm
Well, the first one apparently hasn't gotten anybody to re-examine their opinions or tactics for discussing issues.
Flock, I'm not sure how you can expect us to re-examine our opinions when you brought nothing new to the table. Your "sources" advanced the same arguments that Spock and BiT have on this Bored in the past and that numerous other right wingers have done. The only difference is that they did it in a more pleasant manner than a lot of others do. But pleasant nonsense is still nonsense, and pleasant unsupported allegations are still unsupported allegations. I did advance factual counterarguments that had a lot more support than anything that the people at Prager U said.

When you or the people at Prager U have some arguments that have some logical, factual basis to them, then we can have a meaningful debate. But until then, it's just the same old, same old.

I'll go back to one of your old warhorses, the Charlottesville neo-Nazi protest. I remember that you linked to a video from Dennis Prager that had a drawing showing that there were "good" people on both sides of the issue who were present in Charlottesville. The only problem is that no one has ever seen or heard from those "peaceful" right wing protestors. I pointed this out and many other liberals have. These so-called peaceful right wingers were an invention spun out of thin air by people trying to prop up Donald Trump's comments. Again, Dennis Prager was very pleasant, and he had some cute little drawings to demonstrate his thesis, but it was all total fiction.

I won't even get into the biggest lie of all, that the election was stolen, which you at one time said you genuinely believed and may still do. Again, statements without proof or evidence as are so many of the right-wing arguments on these issues.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

kroxquo

#3 Post by kroxquo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:07 am

Well, the first one apparently hasn't gotten anybody to re-examine their opinions or tactics for discussing issues. Same old same old. But at least I didn't have to add anything to my signature.

Last year, I quit the BBBL fantasy league when MLB decided to pull the All Star Game out of Atlanta, revealing to the world that they are no longer a sports league, but a political subsidiary of the woke movement. And they aren't even close to being the worst. I loved the MLS until they sold themselves to the woke idiots. The NFL isn't much better.

I did not get much love, and didn't expect any, from the other BBBL 'owners'. But this video helps explain why I left and why I now avoid watching sports on TV and will NEVER buy a ticket to any sports league that openly supports one side of a political issue.

https://www.prageru.com/video/get-polit ... -of-sports

PS: The only sports I watched in 2021 was College Football (I spent money subscribing to FUBO to watch SEC games), a couple of Seattle Sounders MLS games when they came back, until I saw how they advertised and proclaimed their wokeness from every corner of the field and it made me nauseous, and some of the baseball playoff games that the Braves were in. Not one NFL or NBA game. And I did not miss it. Perhaps I'll see if I can get interested in the NHL. Are they woke? I hope not.
I have always believed in civil discourse and I will agree that it is distressing how often discussions here devolve into personal insults and worse from both sides.

One thing that jumped out at me from the video is calling the new voting laws "voter integrity laws." There was no evidence that there was any problem with voting in Georgia (or any other state where Republican-led legislatures are passing similar laws) and these laws are "fixing" a problem that does not exist with the end result that it is now harder to vote in Georgia than it was two years ago and the disproportionate number of people affected by this are people of color.

That speaker also seems to have forgotten how political sports always has been. He neglected to mention John Carlos and Tommie Smith at the 1968 Olympics giving the Black power salute on the medal stand. They were protesting much of the same things that Colin Kaepernick was which kind of tells me that conditions for African Americans are still pretty bad. But the truth is, neither of us will ever truly know what it means to be African American in this country.

I'd also like to pose a question for you - many of the BLM protests of 2020 turned violent as African Americans vented their rage and White America seethed and said they protest peacefully. Prior to that African American athletes and others peacefully protested the racism in the US by kneeling during the national anthem and White America seethed and said they should protest more respectfully. In 2022, trying to address inequality through the law, a bill intended to ensure voting rights for all Americans, but especially people of color, was defeated in Congress. My question is this - how should African Americans protest their treatment in this country when every method they use is called wrong?
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 am

The most glaring example: athletes and fans who dare mention Hong King, or Taiwan, or Xinjiang face more severe backlash than for any domestic political issue.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:30 am

kroxquo wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:07 am
My question is this - how should African Americans protest their treatment in this country when every method they use is called wrong?
Isn't it obvious? They should peacefully wait in line for their turn to die with some cop's knee on their neck. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:09 pm

It's a shame, Flock - good idea, but unfortunately those with the most to learn are simply too deep in their woke addiction.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:32 pm

In these conversations, "woke" means "aware," yes? So at first it was maybe a good thing but when used by someone else (in flock's example, a sports team), it is a bad thing?

I'm not arguing any particular topic, literally just wondering why and how "woke", which for about five minutes was a word people of color used to refer to an ally, became an insult (for whom, I'm still not quite sure - maybe those allies?).

So is the premise that it is a bad thing to acknowledge that some people have advantages and some people don't, merely by accident of birth? That's socioeconomic inevitability in our culture, isn't it?
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:54 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:09 pm
It's a shame, Flock - good idea, but unfortunately those with the most to learn are simply too deep in their woke addiction.
Well, that's certainly going to get me to re-examine my opinions.

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:31 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:56 pm
Again, statements without proof or evidence as are so many of the right-wing arguments on these issues.
SSS, as you have shown in this thread, "proof" or "evidence" to you are only things you agree with.. You brush off any evidence provided by sources you dislike. At least have the intellectual honesty to admit your bias. Just because evidence is contrary to your belief of the truth or even THE truth, does not mean those pieces of evidence are not individually true. A loss by the world's best team is evidence they are not the world's best team, but countered by more evidence (all their wins) that they are.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:47 am

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:31 am
Again, statements without proof or evidence as are so many of the right-wing arguments on these issues.
SSS, as you have shown in this thread, "proof" or "evidence" to you are only things you agree with.. You brush off any evidence provided by sources you dislike. At least have the intellectual honesty to admit your bias. Just because evidence is contrary to your belief of the truth or even THE truth, does not mean those pieces of evidence are not individually true. A loss by the world's best team is evidence they are not the world's best team, but countered by more evidence (all their wins) that they are.
You need to apply that to your own reasoning. Taken as a whole, there is no evidence the election was stolen.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:56 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:47 am
BackInTex wrote:
You need to apply that to your own reasoning. Taken as a whole, there is no evidence the election was stolen.
Your statements are contradicting. You say I need to apply my own reasoning (that there is always evidence to the contrary) and yet you then go against the reasoning by you saying there is no evidence. I've never said there is no evidence for anything. I understand, and more importantly will not deny, that there is evidence (factually true) on both sides and any position. Always.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:35 am

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:56 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:47 am
BackInTex wrote:

You missed the "taken as a whole" part.
Your statements are contradicting. You say I need to apply my own reasoning (that there is always evidence to the contrary) and yet you then go against the reasoning by you saying there is no evidence. I've never said there is no evidence for anything. I understand, and more importantly will not deny, that there is evidence (factually true) on both sides and any position. Always.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#13 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:28 pm

Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#14 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:05 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:32 pm
In these conversations, "woke" means "aware," yes? So at first it was maybe a good thing but when used by someone else (in flock's example, a sports team), it is a bad thing?

I'm not arguing any particular topic, literally just wondering why and how "woke", which for about five minutes was a word people of color used to refer to an ally, became an insult (for whom, I'm still not quite sure - maybe those allies?).

So is the premise that it is a bad thing to acknowledge that some people have advantages and some people don't, merely by accident of birth? That's socioeconomic inevitability in our culture, isn't it?
Just to be clear Skoop, this is My Perspective: Your definition of the term 'Woke' may be how it started, but, just like everything else the left appropriates, they have taken it too far and now it's a perjorative for those who impose their sense of 'social justice' by means of coercion and threats. See "Cancel Culture".

https://www.prageru.com/video/who-has-privilege

https://www.prageru.com/video/what-is-social-justice

a1mamacat

#15 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:45 pm

Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:05 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:

Just to be clear Skoop, this is My Perspective: Your definition of the term 'Woke' may be how it started, but, just like everything else the left appropriates, they have taken it too far and now it's a perjorative for those who impose their sense of 'social justice' by means of coercion and threats. See "Cancel Culture".

Would this be what Carhartt is currently being subjected too? Threats of economic sanctions from the radical right because they have maintained a vaccine mandate for their employees.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:39 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:45 pm
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:05 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:

Would this be what Carhartt is currently being subjected too? Threats of economic sanctions from the radical right because they have maintained a vaccine mandate for their employees.
I don't think that is part of cancel culture.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#17 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:59 pm

Flock, I'm sorry that I won't be consulting Prager, just like I'm sure there are sources I could quote that you would not agree to use as neutral. Some possibilities we might both find agreeable: BBC, Reuters, Al-Jazeera? I find that since these organizations don't benefit from American clicks, they tend not to be as extreme on their presentations of American topics. American sites and sources are desperate for our clicks and money, so I lean away from many of them. I do still like ProPublica, though; they do really excellent investigative journalism on topics that matter to me (healthcare, in particular).

Back to the definition, I think you are saying the radical left has appropriated a term (woke) that, when it started, may have been milder.

As I am not a member of the radical left, nor will I defend that position, I guess I'll see you next week.

For future topics, please consider some other sources, to make your positions more credible to people who aren't already on your side.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

franktangredi

#18 Post by franktangredi » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:59 pm

I'd be interest to see a post where you re-examine some of your perspectives.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#19 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:35 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:59 pm
Could you agree that everyone, right, left, independent, should abide by that? Rather than framing whatever incident, idea or bloviating (on all sides) with prefab blowback?
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#20 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:00 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:59 pm
Flock, I'm sorry that I won't be consulting Prager, just like I'm sure there are sources I could quote that you would not agree to use as neutral. Some possibilities we might both find agreeable: BBC, Reuters, Al-Jazeera? I find that since these organizations don't benefit from American clicks, they tend not to be as extreme on their presentations of American topics. American sites and sources are desperate for our clicks and money, so I lean away from many of them. I do still like ProPublica, though; they do really excellent investigative journalism on topics that matter to me (healthcare, in particular).

Back to the definition, I think you are saying the radical left has appropriated a term (woke) that, when it started, may have been milder.

As I am not a member of the radical left, nor will I defend that position, I guess I'll see you next week.

For future topics, please consider some other sources, to make your positions more credible to people who aren't already on your side.
I am trying to present alternative perspectives than you will ever see presented on those sources you find 'agreeable'. Your decision not to consider even listening to those perspectives is telling.

Some more things for you to consider or continue to ignore, at your discretion, since you have apparently already chosen your 'side'.:

https://www.prageru.com/video/aj-is-al-jazeera

https://www.prageru.com/video/can-you-trust-the-press

I get educated from the mainstream and social media every day. As much as I'd like to, I can't avoid it. And I agree with you, most of those sources have chosen their side. Most of them, however, have chosen one side. If that's all I limited myself to, which I did for a long time, I would float with the BBs who have contributed to my signature.

franktangredi

#21 Post by franktangredi » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:24 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:35 pm
franktangredi wrote:
Could you agree that everyone, right, left, independent, should abide by that? Rather than framing whatever incident, idea or bloviating (on all sides) with prefab blowback?
Absolutely. Unfortunately, what most people usually mean by "seeing other perspectives" is "see my perspective."

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#22 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:30 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:24 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:35 pm
franktangredi wrote:
Absolutely. Unfortunately, what most people usually mean by "seeing other perspectives" is "see my perspective."
Which is okay, if it's an actual discussion. But, eh, I understand.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#23 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:02 pm

To clarify, my main issue with Prager University is not necessarily their viewpoints, it's that they call themselves a university.

University means something to me, having been associated with one for 35 years. It means research, and enlightenment, and the advancement of knowledge.

I resent this group for passing itself off as an institution that means something other than what it is. If they had a less-fake name, I would follow one of those links, but as it is, I don't want to reward them with any clicks.

That's the main reason I asked for a different source.
--------

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:28 am

Flock:

You seem happy whenever challenged to pull out a video from Prager that's you think is on topic. In most cases, they are making the exact same arguments that other right wingers have made. Your "expert" on the issue of trans girls competing was a high school runner who was understandably upset about losing a big race. I'm not going to try to address every topic raised by every video you linked to, most of which go far afield from the original theme of this thread.

The main point your speakers leave out about the "unifying" power of sports is that they are okay with sports serving as a unifying power as long as the message that sports delivers is one that they agree with. The German Olympic team of 1936 had a unifying message, championing Aryan superiority. The Soviet and Communist teams of the 1960s and 70s also had a unifying message, championing the Communist system. One of the speakers tried to comment that somehow sports teams were representatives of the city or state where they play. The Atlanta Braves and Atlanta Falcons do not represent me, any more than Atlanta Toyota (which is in Duluth), even though they wear uniforms with "Atlanta" on them. The players and ownership on those teams engage in considerable community outreach because it makes good business sense to do so. But the name "Atlanta" hasn't prevented two NHL teams from moving to Canada.

Professional sports is a business, and good businesses succeed by satisfying their customers (the fans) and their employees (the players). Flock may have quite watching MLB because of its stance on the All-Star Game, but a survey showed that most fans agreed with MLB's decision (https://today.yougov.com/topics/sports/ ... lanta-denv) The poll is interesting because the general public was closely divided on the subject while fans supported the move (52-37%). And judging by the enthusiasm for the Atlanta Braves during the run up to their World Series title, the popularity of baseball in Atlanta didn't take a hit due to the decision. Also, ratings for the All-Star game were up from the last game in 2019, while ratings for the pre-game events like the Home Run Derby were up substantially.

The critics have a point that sports ratings on the various TV networks, including ESPN, were down recently. They ignore the biggest factor in that decline, which was the pandemic. For months, there was little or no sports being played and nothing for fans to watch other than reruns of old games and reports on cancellations and postponements. Even when the games resumed, they were often played in empty stadiums or arenas with teams isolated from the general public and abbreviated schedules. None of these are conducive to high ratings. With things going more back to normal this year, NFL regular season ratings were up 10% and playoff ratings have been up nearly 20%.

What is really ironic is the use of the word "woke" presently. While, as Skoop points out, it was originally used to signify awareness of racial discrimination. It has now been co-opted by the right and used almost exclusively by them to signify any policy with which they disagree. They use the word "woke" much the same way they used "Communist" 30 to 40 years ago.

Flock, if you ever find a source that advances some new arguments, I might be persuaded. But all I've seen out of these Prager U videos is the same message in a more attractive package.

triviawayne

#25 Post by triviawayne » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:37 am

while only supporting one side of a political issue (or making non-political issues political issues) yourself. Good to see you are holding others to standards you won't rise to on your own.