Royal family et al

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Royal family et al

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:02 pm

Thought it would be interesting to see what y'all think about the British royal family.

I've never been enamored of them as many have, in general. I think they've outlived their importance. They have a good gig. They make no difference politically, unless their power actually extends to elections in some personal way that we don't know about.

I am bored by Megxit and Harry, who are idiots. Feel sorry for Kate and hub. But, meh.

And, of course Andrew really fucked things up, like certain political icons over heah.

Twill be fun.
Well, then

Vandal
Director of Promos

Re: Royal family et al

#2 Post by Vandal » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:01 pm

No matter how silly the idea of having a queen might be to us as Americans, we must be gracious and considerate hosts.

- Frank Drebin
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:05 pm

:D
Well, then

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:35 pm

Those cousins of mine are a lot better than others have been.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jaybee

#5 Post by jaybee » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:02 pm

I saw on the internet that the queen has really been dead for years now.
Jaybee

a1mamacat

#6 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:34 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:02 pm
Thought it would be interesting to see what y'all think about the British royal family.

I've never been enamored of them as many have, in general. I think they've outlived their importance. They have a good gig. They make no difference politically, unless their power actually extends to elections in some personal way that we don't know about.

I am bored by Megxit and Harry, who are idiots. Feel sorry for Kate and hub. But, meh.

And, of course Andrew really fucked things up, like certain political icons over heah.

Twill be fun.
I’ll see your Meghan and Harry, raising you a Don Jr., Ivanka and Eric. You all were so close to your own monarchy…

Andrew can join TFG in the cesspool.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:54 pm

Beebs52 wrote:

Twill be fun.

QE2 - bless her
Charles & Camilla - blech
William & Kate - admirable ( from admittedly limited perspective)
Harry & Megan - petulant and over-inflated ego
Andrew - dumbass
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:34 am

a1mamacat wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:34 pm
Beebs52 wrote:

Twill be fun.
I’ll see your Meghan and Harry, raising you a Don Jr., Ivanka and Eric. You all were so close to your own monarchy…

Andrew can join TFG in the cesspool.
That's why I included that last bit.
Well, then

jarnon

#9 Post by jarnon » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:11 pm

Queen Elizabeth II wrote:Tomorrow, 6th February, marks the 70th anniversary of my Accession in 1952. It is a day that, even after 70 years, I still remember as much for the death of my father, King George VI, as for the start of my reign.

As we mark this anniversary, it gives me pleasure to renew to you the pledge I gave in 1947 that my life will always be devoted to your service.

As I look ahead with a sense of hope and optimism to the year of my Platinum Jubilee, I am reminded of how much we can be thankful for. These last seven decades have seen extraordinary progress socially, technologically and culturally that have benefitted us all; and I am confident that the future will offer similar opportunities to us and especially to the younger generations in the United Kingdom and throughout the Commonwealth.

I am fortunate to have had the steadfast and loving support of my family. I was blessed that in Prince Philip I had a partner willing to carry out the role of consort and unselfishly make the sacrifices that go with it. It is a role I saw my own mother perform during my father’s reign.

This anniversary also affords me a time to reflect on the goodwill shown to me by people of all nationalities, faiths and ages in this country and around the world over these years. I would like to express my thanks to you all for your support. I remain eternally grateful for, and humbled by, the loyalty and affection that you continue to give me. And when, in the fullness of time, my son Charles becomes King, I know you will give him and his wife Camilla the same support that you have given me; and it is my sincere wish that, when that time comes, Camilla will be known as Queen Consort as she continues her own loyal service.

And so as I look forward to continuing to serve you with all my heart, I hope this Jubilee will bring together families and friends, neighbours and communities – after some difficult times for so many of us – in order to enjoy the celebrations and to reflect on the positive developments in our day-to-day lives that have so happily coincided with my reign.

Your Servant

Elizabeth R.
It's expected that Prince Charles will become King Charles III (unless he chooses a different name); Camilla will be Queen; Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, will also be Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and Earl of Chester; and Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, will get his father's title Duke of Edinburgh.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

a1mamacat

#10 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:17 pm

jarnon wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:11 pm
Queen Elizabeth II wrote:Tomorrow, 6th February, marks the 70th anniversary of my Accession in 1952. It is a day that, even after 70 years, I still remember as much for the death of my father, King George VI, as for the start of my reign.

As we mark this anniversary, it gives me pleasure to renew to you the pledge I gave in 1947 that my life will always be devoted to your service.

As I look ahead with a sense of hope and optimism to the year of my Platinum Jubilee, I am reminded of how much we can be thankful for. These last seven decades have seen extraordinary progress socially, technologically and culturally that have benefitted us all; and I am confident that the future will offer similar opportunities to us and especially to the younger generations in the United Kingdom and throughout the Commonwealth.

I am fortunate to have had the steadfast and loving support of my family. I was blessed that in Prince Philip I had a partner willing to carry out the role of consort and unselfishly make the sacrifices that go with it. It is a role I saw my own mother perform during my father’s reign.

This anniversary also affords me a time to reflect on the goodwill shown to me by people of all nationalities, faiths and ages in this country and around the world over these years. I would like to express my thanks to you all for your support. I remain eternally grateful for, and humbled by, the loyalty and affection that you continue to give me. And when, in the fullness of time, my son Charles becomes King, I know you will give him and his wife Camilla the same support that you have given me; and it is my sincere wish that, when that time comes, Camilla will be known as Queen Consort as she continues her own loyal service.

And so as I look forward to continuing to serve you with all my heart, I hope this Jubilee will bring together families and friends, neighbours and communities – after some difficult times for so many of us – in order to enjoy the celebrations and to reflect on the positive developments in our day-to-day lives that have so happily coincided with my reign.

Your Servant

Elizabeth R.
It's expected that Prince Charles will become King Charles III (unless he chooses a different name); Camilla will be Queen; Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, will also be Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and Earl of Chester; and Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, will get his father's title Duke of Edinburgh.
Charles can use any of his names, Charles Philip Arthur George. I posit he will use George VII to honour his grandfather.

a1mamacat

#11 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:20 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:17 pm
jarnon wrote:

Your Servant

Elizabeth R.
Charles can use any of his names, Charles Philip Arthur George. I posit he will use George VII to honour his grandfather. Queen Consort is not as high a ranking as Queen.

kroxquo

#12 Post by kroxquo » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:25 am

a1mamacat wrote:
jarnon wrote:

Your Servant

Elizabeth R.
Charles can use any of his names, Charles Philip Arthur George. I posit he will use George VII to honour his grandfather.
The name Charles does not have a good history in the English monarchy. Charles I was beheaded by Parliament and Charles II was seen as a profligate drunk. I agree that he'll probably go with the safe choice of George but it would be interesting if he decided to become King Arthur.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:18 am

Can someone enlighten me as to why an English king's spouse is a queen (or queen consort) but an English queen's spouse is only a prince?

And why did Lord Farquad think he had to marry a princess to become a king?

And what about Naomi?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

a1mamacat

#14 Post by a1mamacat » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:54 am

earendel wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:18 am
Can someone enlighten me as to why an English king's spouse is a queen (or queen consort) but an English queen's spouse is only a prince?

And why did Lord Farquad think he had to marry a princess to become a king?

And what about Naomi?
When dinosaurs ruled the earth…men believed they could govern better than women, and so a Queen faced being overthrown by her “king”. It goes back to Elizabeth I, iirc. It could also be part of the British view that they didn’t want a “foreign” prince taking power, so parliament has to approve anything like that.

jarnon

#15 Post by jarnon » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:42 pm

jarnon wrote:
It's expected that Prince Charles will become King Charles III (unless he chooses a different name); Camilla will be Queen Consort; Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, will also be Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and Earl of Chester; and Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, will get his father's title Duke of Edinburgh.
Also, Prince Harry's children will receive the title Prince or Princess, but they probably won't use it. Currently Prince Edward's children aren't called Princess or Prince.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:04 pm

Your Servant

Elizabeth R.

Did anybody else read this, in their head, with Claire Foy's voice, cadence, and inflection?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

themanintheseersuckersuit

#17 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:21 am

kroxquo wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:25 am
a1mamacat wrote:
jarnon wrote:
The name Charles does not have a good history in the English monarchy. Charles I was beheaded by Parliament and Charles II was seen as a profligate drunk. I agree that he'll probably go with the safe choice of George but it would be interesting if he decided to become King Arthur.
If Charles becomes Charles III will we call him Trip, also can Camilla change her name and become Queen Nell?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.