Watching Hist Channel re accents

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 12270
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Watching Hist Channel re accents

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:36 pm

So, okay. Do you now or have you ever called:

Carbonated beverage - soda or pop?
Public water dispenser - bubbler or water fountain?
Large piece of living room furniture - sofa, couch, or Davenport?
Well, then

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 20230
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:41 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:36 pm
So, okay. Do you now or have you ever called:

Carbonated beverage - soda or pop?
Public water dispenser - bubbler or water fountain?
Large piece of living room furniture - sofa, couch, or Davenport?
Soda
Water fountain
Television. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 12270
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:46 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:41 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:36 pm
So, okay. Do you now or have you ever called:

Carbonated beverage - soda or pop?
Public water dispenser - bubbler or water fountain?
Large piece of living room furniture - sofa, couch, or Davenport?
Soda
Water fountain
Television. --Bob
Snort!
Well, then

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 12270
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:48 pm

Mine was back in the day bubbler, pop and davenport. WisCAHNsin dontcha know.
Now I'm all generic.
Well, then

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24441
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:21 pm

I used to say soda pop, now just soda.
Water fountain
Sofa
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
littlebeast13
Dumbass
Posts: 30680
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Contact:

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:28 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:36 pm
Carbonated beverage - soda or pop?

Image
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 12270
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:36 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:28 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:36 pm
Carbonated beverage - soda or pop?

Image
I got you on my bookmarks! Where the hell have I been?
Well, then

User avatar
jaybee
Posts: 1871
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#8 Post by jaybee » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:41 pm

Yes to all of those: Born and raised in the North East. Have lived most of my life in the South.

True story: We moved from NJ to TN in the early 70's to run a marina. My mom was running the counter at the marina store. A fisherman came in looking for something to drink.

Fisherman: "What kind of Cokes do you have?"

Mom: "Small Coke, Large Coke or can Coke."
Jaybee

User avatar
tlynn78
Posts: 7501
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Location: Montana

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:33 pm

jaybee wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:41 pm
Yes to all of those: Born and raised in the North East. Have lived most of my life in the South.

True story: We moved from NJ to TN in the early 70's to run a marina. My mom was running the counter at the marina store. A fisherman came in looking for something to drink.

Fisherman: "What kind of Cokes do you have?"

Mom: "Small Coke, Large Coke or can Coke."
Same! Montana to Atlanta in '72
Took me for.ev.er. to acquiesce to the use of y'all. Waiting tables helped.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 12270
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:39 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:33 pm
jaybee wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:41 pm
Yes to all of those: Born and raised in the North East. Have lived most of my life in the South.

True story: We moved from NJ to TN in the early 70's to run a marina. My mom was running the counter at the marina store. A fisherman came in looking for something to drink.

Fisherman: "What kind of Cokes do you have?"

Mom: "Small Coke, Large Coke or can Coke."
Same! Montana to Atlanta in '72
Took me for.ev.er. to acquiesce to the use of y'all. Waiting tables helped.
Y'all is a fab word.
Well, then

User avatar
tlynn78
Posts: 7501
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Location: Montana

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:25 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:39 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:33 pm
jaybee wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:41 pm
Yes to all of those: Born and raised in the North East. Have lived most of my life in the South.

True story: We moved from NJ to TN in the early 70's to run a marina. My mom was running the counter at the marina store. A fisherman came in looking for something to drink.

Fisherman: "What kind of Cokes do you have?"

Mom: "Small Coke, Large Coke or can Coke."
Same! Montana to Atlanta in '72
Took me for.ev.er. to acquiesce to the use of y'all. Waiting tables helped.
Y'all is a fab word.
I was an obnoxious grammar snob even as a kid, but learned to love it.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine

User avatar
earendel
Posts: 13253
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Location: mired in the bureaucracy

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#12 Post by earendel » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:23 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:33 pm
jaybee wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:41 pm
Yes to all of those: Born and raised in the North East. Have lived most of my life in the South.

True story: We moved from NJ to TN in the early 70's to run a marina. My mom was running the counter at the marina store. A fisherman came in looking for something to drink.

Fisherman: "What kind of Cokes do you have?"

Mom: "Small Coke, Large Coke or can Coke."
Same! Montana to Atlanta in '72
Took me for.ev.er. to acquiesce to the use of y'all. Waiting tables helped.
When I go into a restaurant with which I'm not familiar I ask the server what their "house cola" is.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

User avatar
themanintheseersuckersuit
Posts: 7487
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:27 pm

Co-coler
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 12270
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:30 pm

I've almost, ALMOST, started saying ohl fer oil.
Well, then

User avatar
TheCalvinator24
Posts: 4856
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:50 am
Location: Wyoming
Contact:

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#15 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:39 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:36 pm
So, okay. Do you now or have you ever called:

Carbonated beverage - soda or pop?
Public water dispenser - bubbler or water fountain?
Large piece of living room furniture - sofa, couch, or Davenport?
Coke (but since moving away from Texas: soda)
water fountain
couch most often; occasionally sofa
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

User avatar
TheCalvinator24
Posts: 4856
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:50 am
Location: Wyoming
Contact:

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#16 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:41 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:28 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:36 pm
Carbonated beverage - soda or pop?

Image
That map has my current county as 80-100% "pop", but I have not heard a single person here say that.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

User avatar
jaybee
Posts: 1871
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#17 Post by jaybee » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:10 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:30 pm
I've almost, ALMOST, started saying ohl fer oil.
That would be incorrect. It's Earl.
Jaybee

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24441
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:30 pm

To go on a tangent:

Image
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
themanintheseersuckersuit
Posts: 7487
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Watching Hist Channel re accents

#19 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:59 am

Chicken Bog
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Post Reply