RIP Sidney Poitier

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

RIP Sidney Poitier

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:41 am

First black male Oscar winner and one of the biggest box office draws of the 1960s. Films included Lillies of the Field (for which he won the Best Actor Oscar), In the Heat of the Night (for which Rod Steiger won an Oscar), and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (for which Katharine Hepburn won an Oscar).

Age 94
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tlynn78

Re: RIP Sidney Poitier

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:51 am

Aw, damn. Getting to that age where my "classics" are disappearing.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:06 am

As impressive as Poitier's filmography is, he was absent from the screen for the entire decade of his 50s (although he directed three decent but not particularly memorable films during that time). Who knows what his career would have been like if he had another five or ten solid roles during that time?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:56 pm

First Poitier movie I ever saw was Lilies of the Field on television. Most memorable for me was Heat of the Night, although that's maybe because I've seen it so many times. He was great.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller