RIP Betty White

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
bazodee

RIP Betty White

#1 Post by bazodee » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:25 pm

From TMZ:
Betty White has died aged 99.
Buzzr Network was heavily promoting her 100th birthday weekend, which would have been mid-January.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/12/31/betty-wh ... den-girls/

bazodee

Re: RIP Betty White

#2 Post by bazodee » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:32 pm

Beloved actress, comedian and American icon Betty White has died, just weeks before a milestone birthday ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Betty passed away at her home just before 9:30 AM Friday.

A trailblazer and pioneer in media, Betty had the longest running career for any woman in TV prior to her death -- starring in multiple shows over the past 8 decades, starting way back in 1939.

Betty is perhaps most famous for her lead role as Rose Nylund in "The Golden Girls," which ran from 1985 to 1992. She'd been in TONS of other big hits throughout her life though.

Betty got her start in radio in the '40s, making appearances on "Blondie," "The Great Gildersleeve," and "This is Your FBI." She eventually got her own radio program. In 1949, she began working on a TV variety show with Al Jarvis called "Hollywood on Television" -- which she later co-hosted -- before breaking out into more TV roles.

Her breakout comedic role came in 1973 when she played Sue Ann Nivens on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" ... which ran until 1977, and then she got her starring role in "The Betty White Show."

With 115 acting credits to her name, Betty had roles in productions like "Life with Elizabeth," "Date with the Angels," "The Love Boat," "Mama's Family," "The Golden Palace," "Ladies Man," "That '70s Show," "Higglytown Heroes," "Boston Legal," "The Bold and the Beautiful," "Pound Puppies," "Hot in Cleveland," and many, many, many other shows and films.

She's won 5 Primetime Emmy Awards -- including 2 for 'Mary Tyler Moore,' 1 for "Golden Girls" and 1 for her 1975 'SNL' appearance -- along with Screen Actors Guild Awards, American Comedy Awards and even a 2012 Grammy.

She's been nominated for several Golden Globes and has also been honored with lots of Lifetime Achievement Awards and celebrations through several organizations.

As we've reported ... Betty had been extra cautious during the pandemic, mostly chilling at home and passing the time by reading, watching TV and doing crossword puzzles.

Betty was 99 and she would have celebrated her 100th birthday on January 17.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:21 pm

Hopefully, the networks will still hold those tributes to her as a memorial to her life and career.

This puts a sad final note to the celebrity entertainment nonagenarians we lost this year. Christopher Plummer, Cloris Leachman, Cicely Tyson, Hal Holbrook, Stephen Sondheim, Ed Asner. And like Betty, many of them were active up until the end.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

a1mamacat

#4 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:32 pm

Damn damn damn.

Feel like I have lost my own grandmother 😞
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:46 pm

She was amazing. She played completely different characters on Mary Tyler Moore and on Golden Girls, but both of them were totally believable -- so glad the Emmy peoples agreed with me. OK, OK, it was the other way around . . .

Missing you, Rose . . .
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:13 pm

She was da bomb.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:54 pm

Well, then

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:57 pm

On topic: Ms. White appeared on “To Tell the Truth,” “I’ve Got a Secret,” “The Match Game,” “What’s My Line?” and “Password,” hosted by her future husband Allen Ludden.

She won the Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Game Show Host in 1983 for “Just Men!”
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Pastor Fireball

#9 Post by Pastor Fireball » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:20 pm

I can hear Sophia Petrillo now.

"Picture it. Heaven. New Year's Eve 2021."
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:45 pm

The Atlanta Journal carries Parade Magazine, which has been around for decades, in its Sunday paper. Tomorrow's edition is a celebration of Betty White's upcoming 100th birthday, which would have been next week. However, the article is written as if Betty were still alive, and there isn't any mention of her death. I realize that these magazines are assembled ahead of time, but she died on December 31st, and you would think they would have been able to include a small mention somewhere about her death. It's still a good article and remembrance of her career, but it reads somewhat strange as it talks about what she will be doing on her 100th birthday (which would have been Monday). On the cover, there is a quote from Betty along with her picture, "I consider myself to be the luckiest old broad on two feet."

The Parade Magazine website does say that the article was planned and published before her death, but I would think they could have figured out some way to mention this in the printed version.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com