Speaking of my job...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Speaking of my job...

#1 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:27 pm

We keep finding the oddest things - at least, odd to me, as we clean out old records. Found a Will from a British bloke - probably a Juchian cousin, circa 1929, who left racehorses and 'cups, medals, and Gold Repeater Watch," along with thousands of pounds to various relatives and a charitable contribution to "Sir Dunstans Hostel for Blinded Soldiers and Sailors." One wonders if his last wishes were actually carried out back in Jolly Olde...
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

Re: Speaking of my job...

#2 Post by Spock » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:40 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:27 pm
We keep finding the oddest things - at least, odd to me, as we clean out old records. Found a Will from a British bloke - probably a Juchian cousin, circa 1929, who left racehorses and 'cups, medals, and Gold Repeater Watch," along with thousands of pounds to various relatives and a charitable contribution to "Sir Dunstans Hostel for Blinded Soldiers and Sailors." One wonders if his last wishes were actually carried out back in Jolly Olde...
You probably Googled it by now-but it certainly looks like a worthy organization.

https://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/stdunstans.html

Timing was such that its focus was on WW1 blind, but, in addition, it was the only organization allowed into Hitler's Germany to help blind POW's from that conflict.