Apache Warriors tell Their Side

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Apache Warriors tell Their Side

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:45 pm

For those so inclined their is an interesting zoom presentation on Thursday Night.

https://frontierpartisans.com/23778/apa ... heir-side/

The presenter worked directly with a woman who earned the trust of the old Apache warriors and learned their story.

Spock

Re: Apache Warriors tell Their Side

#2 Post by Spock » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:34 pm

If anybody is interested the Link at Frontier Partisans didn't work.

Just Google "Old Pueblo Third Thursday" and go from there.

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:09 am

It was a fascinating speech. 2 (or 3 or whatever) degrees of separation thing.

Sanchez (the speaker) had worked with Eve Ball in the 1970's and 80's. It was Ball who had earned the trust of the old Apaches who had surrendered as very young men.

One fun story was that an Apache had told her (Ball) that she should come to Indian Heaven when she died. Ball said that sounded wonderful, but that she also liked to read and that White Man Heaven would have a library.

The old Apache warrior told that they would raid White Man Heaven and get her whatever books she wanted.

Sanchez is apparently working on a book about the Bronco Apaches who lived in Mexico and raided in New Mexico well into the 1920's (and maybe later)and there was still Apache War stuff going on in Mexico well into the 1930's. It is hard to find much on them but it is kind of fun to realize that there were still Apache raids going on when John Wayne was making movies.

There was a woman who died in her mid 40's in the 1970's who had been captured as a young child from one of the hidden Apache camps in the Mexican Sierra Madre and raised with a white family.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:09 am

The first newspaper in Arizona, The Weekly Arizonian, in their first issue, 3 Mar 1859, had the following article:

"Indians took eleven mules from Mr. Yancy, at Tubac, and being pursued, lanced three mules."

A week later, this was written:

"On the night of the 5th inst., two pack animals were taken from Mr. Yancy, at Tubac, by Apaches, and two days after retaken from the Apaches by the Papagues. Within the past twenty months Mr. Yancy has had over a hundred mules stolen by Indians."

On 4 May 1859, Joe Yancey, my 2nd great-grandfather, sold his six-acre property in Tubac.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:49 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:09 am
The first newspaper in Arizona, The Weekly Arizonian, in their first issue, 3 Mar 1859, had the following article:

"Indians took eleven mules from Mr. Yancy, at Tubac, and being pursued, lanced three mules."

A week later, this was written:

"On the night of the 5th inst., two pack animals were taken from Mr. Yancy, at Tubac, by Apaches, and two days after retaken from the Apaches by the Papagues. Within the past twenty months Mr. Yancy has had over a hundred mules stolen by Indians."

On 4 May 1859, Joe Yancey, my 2nd great-grandfather, sold his six-acre property in Tubac.
Cool, I thought of you during as the "Old Pueblo" group that put on the speaker appears to be a Tucson based group. Sanchez (the speaker) was also a native Arizonan (a rare breed) from the Tucson area.