RIP Medina Spirit

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

RIP Medina Spirit

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:19 pm

The horse that finished first in this year's Kentucky Derby and was subsequently determined to have failed a drug test. The entire matter is currently in litigation. Medina Spirit did race in the Preakness, finishing third, but not in the Belmont. This fall, Medina Spirit won two races against older horses and finished second in the Breeders Cup. The horse died after a workout at Santa Anita. Trainer Bob Baffert said it was a heart attack, but a necroscopy will be performed.

Age 3.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/06/sport/me ... index.html
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Ritterskoop

Re: RIP Medina Spirit

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:41 am

This sport makes me vomit. If we lost athletes one a day in any other endeavor, it would be shut down.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:14 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:41 am
This sport makes me vomit. If we lost athletes one a day in any other endeavor, it would be shut down.
Oops, it is 3 a day in the United States alone (Britain has a lot of horse deaths, was the number I was remembering from an older count.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:44 pm

After Medina Spirit’s death, the uncomfortable spotlight on racehorse fatalities returns

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... se-racing/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:08 pm

The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission has now officially disqualified Medina Spirit as the winner of the 2021 Derby. This means that the owners will have to forfeit all the prize money and former runner-up Mandaloun is now the official winner. In addition, trainer Bob Baffert was fined $7500 and suspended for 90 days. He will appeal that decision.

https://www.espn.com/horse-racing/story ... ed-90-days
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jaybee

#6 Post by jaybee » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:17 am

I'm not even going to claim even a tiny amount of knowledge on how horse racing / betting etc works so .......

But I do know that a lot of people bet on horse racing. What, if anything does this do to the payouts from the original race? I can't imagine that there is any way to follow up on that. Yet, if someone had a large bet on Mandaloun to win???
Jaybee

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:25 pm

jaybee wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:17 am
I'm not even going to claim even a tiny amount of knowledge on how horse racing / betting etc works so .......

But I do know that a lot of people bet on horse racing. What, if anything does this do to the payouts from the original race? I can't imagine that there is any way to follow up on that. Yet, if someone had a large bet on Mandaloun to win???
The Kentucky Racing Commission has a policy in place for just such occasions. The policy states that payouts are based on the official results at the time of the race. If something changes afterward, there is no adjustment. So anyone betting on Mandaloun to win is out of luck.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:26 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:14 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:41 am
Oops, it is 3 a day in the United States alone (Britain has a lot of horse deaths, was the number I was remembering from an older count.
Yeah, but you have to admit bullfighting is kind of cool. LOL