Tasteless and classless Christmas Photo

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kroxquo

Tasteless and classless Christmas Photo

#1 Post by kroxquo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:27 am

US Rep. Thomas Massie sets the bar of decorum even lower as he posts a Christmas photo with his family all holding rifles (since I don't know anything about guns those who do can feel free to correct me if I have the type of guns wrong). It also has the caption - "Santa - please bring ammo." I don't see why this would be in good taste in any circumstance, but coming this soon after yet another school shooting illustrates a genuine lack of empathy and incredible crassness.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/opinion ... index.html
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Weyoun

Re: Tasteless and classless Christmas Photo

#2 Post by Weyoun » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:34 am

It goes to show that guns are a matter of social status with some folks. There’s nothing to suggest that these people are any sort of danger, or would be if they just settled on a couple of pistols for home protection.

He’s totally OK with the photo because it is sticking his beliefs in the face of so-called liberals.

I actually do have some empathy for people like Spock. He has a gun and he uses it safely and there are no real problems. Seems almost unfair to make him have to work a little bit more to have a gun for that reason. But unchecked gun ownership leads to all kinds of human suffering

Remember that the National Rifle Association effectively is a pro Russia plant at this point. Russia know they could drop a bomb on this representative and his guns wouldn’t matter. They also know that all these guns are dividing us us.

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:00 am

Weyoun wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:34 am
Russia know they could drop a bomb on this representative and his guns wouldn’t matter.
They could have dropped a bomb on Afghanistan, too. But didn't. Didn't pull out because the rebels were unarmed, either.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 am

Car dealers are still posting ads for SUVs
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

a1mamacat

#5 Post by a1mamacat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:56 am

kroxquo wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:27 am
US Rep. Thomas Massie sets the bar of decorum even lower as he posts a Christmas photo with his family all holding rifles (since I don't know anything about guns those who do can feel free to correct me if I have the type of guns wrong). It also has the caption - "Santa - please bring ammo." I don't see why this would be in good taste in any circumstance, but coming this soon after yet another school shooting illustrates a genuine lack of empathy and incredible crassness.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/opinion ... index.html
Until a family like that is on the other end of the suffering, nothing will change.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:56 am

It's got to be utterly exhausting to be so easily 'triggered.'
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:33 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:56 am
How does it feel to have so little compassion for parents who have lost their children? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:34 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Idaho Republican Melts Down Over Year-Old Hershey’s Ad With Black Family
An Idaho Republican went into a meltdown faster than a chocolate bar over a campfire this week when she threw an online fit over a year-old Hershey’s commercial. NPR’s Boise State Public Radio reports that it’s unclear whether Lisa Leisy, a local official for Idaho Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin’s gubernatorial campaign, has retained her position after she sent a tweet complaining about a “black only” Hershey’s commercial Monday. The holiday ad launched in late 2020 and features a Black family. Wrote Leisy, “I don’t support the new and improved #Hersheys #christmas black only commercial. Classic #commercial and they ruined it.” The tweet ends with a trio of vomiting emojis,

Leisy followed up with a reply saying she can “no longer watch much current TV cause black only supporting. Racist commercial if only supports blacks only” Boise State Public Radio notes that Leisy’s Twitter bio no longer describes her as chair for the McGeachin campaign in Power County, and a Facebook page promoting her events in the area has disappeared. Neither Leisy nor McGeachin has commented on the tweet. Earlier this year, Leisy complained on Instagram that she was “disgusted” to see her iPhone had added Juneteenth to her calendar. “Guess we’re on our way to be a black nation ahead,” she wrote. “Welcome to the ‘new’ America.”
The "racist" commercial in question:

Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:09 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:34 am
tlynn78 wrote:
An Idaho Republican went into a meltdown faster than a chocolate bar over a campfire this week when she threw an online fit over a year-old Hershey’s commercial. NPR’s Boise State Public Radio reports that it’s unclear whether Lisa Leisy, a local official for Idaho Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin’s gubernatorial campaign, has retained her position after she sent a tweet complaining about a “black only” Hershey’s commercial Monday. The holiday ad launched in late 2020 and features a Black family. Wrote Leisy, “I don’t support the new and improved #Hersheys #christmas black only commercial. Classic #commercial and they ruined it.” The tweet ends with a trio of vomiting emojis,

Leisy followed up with a reply saying she can “no longer watch much current TV cause black only supporting. Racist commercial if only supports blacks only” Boise State Public Radio notes that Leisy’s Twitter bio no longer describes her as chair for the McGeachin campaign in Power County, and a Facebook page promoting her events in the area has disappeared. Neither Leisy nor McGeachin has commented on the tweet. Earlier this year, Leisy complained on Instagram that she was “disgusted” to see her iPhone had added Juneteenth to her calendar. “Guess we’re on our way to be a black nation ahead,” she wrote. “Welcome to the ‘new’ America.”

Can I be triggered by the failure to place the cookies on a cooling rack, rather than directly on the plate? ;)

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:24 am

tlynn78 wrote:

And my comment would apply to that, as well.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:38 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:24 am
tlynn78 wrote:

Of course you would. Because Black families enjoying cookies together are morally and emotionally equivalent to schoolkids getting shot. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Weyoun

#12 Post by Weyoun » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:39 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Then I recommend you take a nap.

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:45 am

Appa23 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:09 am
tlynn78 wrote:

Can I be triggered by the failure to place the cookies on a cooling rack, rather than directly on the plate? ;)
Yes, yes you can.

tlynn78

#14 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:46 am

Weyoun wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:39 am
tlynn78 wrote:
LOL - if it's all the same to you, I'll get my medical advice elsewhere.

tlynn78

#15 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:52 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:38 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:24 am

Of course you would. Because Black families enjoying cookies together are morally and emotionally equivalent to schoolkids getting shot. --Bob
Good God, man, have you had a recent head injury? Smiling crooked? Get checked out.

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am

Would anyone be surprised to know that I find the card tasteless, too?

I'm not triggered by it, or anything, but I think it lacks class. But folks are free to be tasteless.

I'm sure I could find other tasteless things out there, too, and maybe I'll add them to the thread.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Weyoun

#17 Post by Weyoun » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:08 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:46 am
Weyoun wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Wouldn’t be your first bad decision!

tlynn78

#18 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:17 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:08 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:46 am
Weyoun wrote:

Wouldn’t be your first bad decision!
LOL! I'm okay with that.

Spock

#19 Post by Spock » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:39 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:00 am
Weyoun wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:34 am
Russia know they could drop a bomb on this representative and his guns wouldn’t matter.
They could have dropped a bomb on Afghanistan, too. But didn't. Didn't pull out because the rebels were unarmed, either.
Well, actually they (and us) dropped a hell of a lot of bombs on Afghanistan (and Vietnam)-yet, somehow it was the guys with the rifles that carried the day in the end.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#20 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:41 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am
Would anyone be surprised to know that I find the card tasteless, too?

I'm not triggered by it, or anything, but I think it lacks class. But folks are free to be tasteless.

I'm sure I could find other tasteless things out there, too, and maybe I'll add them to the thread.
I'm not surprised. There isn't much you and I agree on and there are many ways in which our values clash, but I do give you credit (usually ;-) ) for being able and willing to think. --Bob

Spock

#21 Post by Spock » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:56 pm

We just had a wonderful human being-An Italian Computer Science student at Columbia stabbed to death by an absolute scumbag. But his death doesn't fit the narrative-so crickets here.

I am glad we are focused on what's important-offensive XMas cards.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/03/who-is-da ... ed-in-nyc/

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#22 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:59 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:56 pm
We just had a wonderful human being-An Italian Computer Science student at Columbia stabbed to death by an absolute scumbag. But his death doesn't fit the narrative-so crickets here.

I am glad we are focused on what's important-offensive XMas cards.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/03/who-is-da ... ed-in-nyc/
We talk about the other things because we believe there are actions our society and our government could and should take to reduce their incidence. What actions would you like us to take to reduce random stabbings of this nature? --Bob

Spock

#23 Post by Spock » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:03 pm

I guess to please people here we are supposed to send Xmas cards with the family on their knees holding up placards that say "Submit" and "Better Red than Dead"-I am guessing that would pass muster here with flying colors.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#24 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:16 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:03 pm
I guess to please people here we are supposed to send Xmas cards with the family on their knees holding up placards that say "Submit" and "Better Red than Dead"-I am guessing that would pass muster here with flying colors.
Should Tylenol have continued advertising its product in the immediate wake of the poisonings back in the early 1980s? Or did a smidgen of attention to human decency commend to the company the idea that there was a more appropriate time for that particular message? --Bob

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:26 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:03 pm
Spock, whatever Christmas cards and messages that you, your family, and your Sons of the Pioneers buddies send each other is a matter between you and them. But Thomas Massie is a member of Congress, one of a select few who make the laws in this country that we live under. We should hold him and the others like him such as Marjorie Taylor Greene, Lauren Boebert, and Paul Gosar to a higher standard. But one of our political parties seems to have totally forgotten that. Bob Dole wouldn't have sent out a Christmas message like this one right after a school shooting.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com