RIP Bob Dole

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

RIP Bob Dole

#1 Post by jarnon » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:03 am

The World War II hero, longtime Senator from Kansas, Senate majority leader and presidential candidate passed away Sunday at age 98.

His widow Elizabeth Dole is herself a former Senator and cabinet member.
Last edited by jarnon on Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

Re: RIP Bob Dole

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:25 am

He was a war hero and a decent man, no matter whether you disagreed with his politics or not or he disagreed with yours.

RIP
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:44 pm

R.I.P. Senator Dole.

However, I thought this happened earlier, this year or even last year.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:06 pm

Cross-posted from EFB:

RIP Bob Dole.

He was an advocate for farm and nutrition programs, for the rights for the disabled. He was instrumental in enshrining protections against discrimination in employment, education and public services in the Americans with Disabilities Act.

I met Senator Dole once when I was in DC. I was an intern for Claudine Schneider, liberal Republican from Rhode Island (RIP that particular breed of politician, too). It was a delight - 10 or 15 minutes. I regret not getting a picture with him.

Claudine was running for The Senate against a popular incumbent Democrat. With whom she agreed on a ton of stuff. Senator Dole was the headliner at a fundraiser.

She lost the election, and the irony is that, had she waited until the next cycle with the retirement of the other popular incumbent, she most likely would have won the Senate seat.

With the passing of Dole and Edward Shames, the last surviving member of the Band of Brothers of Easy Company, the contributions of The Greatest Generation are once more in bas relief. Or should be.

[in 1989, my resume - my take-a-break-from-newspapers resume - was plucked from the DCCC Job Bank by Claudine's executive assistant. My NE Philly Congressman Bob Borski (a Democrat) said to go work for Claudine, who'd just introduced a bill - HR 10 - which addressed environmental concerns, including global warming and climate change. It was referred to several committees. Borski said it would give me a chance to see how the sausage was made. I mentioned this because I JUST KNOW you were wondering how I ended up working for a Republican and having a fine time talking to Bob Dole, with whom I disagreed on many substantive issues. I know you people.]

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:32 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:06 pm
Cross-posted from EFB:

RIP Bob Dole.

He was an advocate for farm and nutrition programs, for the rights for the disabled. He was instrumental in enshrining protections against discrimination in employment, education and public services in the Americans with Disabilities Act.

I met Senator Dole once when I was in DC. I was an intern for Claudine Schneider, liberal Republican from Rhode Island (RIP that particular breed of politician, too). It was a delight - 10 or 15 minutes. I regret not getting a picture with him.

Claudine was running for The Senate against a popular incumbent Democrat. With whom she agreed on a ton of stuff. Senator Dole was the headliner at a fundraiser.

She lost the election, and the irony is that, had she waited until the next cycle with the retirement of the other popular incumbent, she most likely would have won the Senate seat.

With the passing of Dole and Edward Shames, the last surviving member of the Band of Brothers of Easy Company, the contributions of The Greatest Generation are once more in bas relief. Or should be.

[in 1989, my resume - my take-a-break-from-newspapers resume - was plucked from the DCCC Job Bank by Claudine's executive assistant. My NE Philly Congressman Bob Borski (a Democrat) said to go work for Claudine, who'd just introduced a bill - HR 10 - which addressed environmental concerns, including global warming and climate change. It was referred to several committees. Borski said it would give me a chance to see how the sausage was made. I mentioned this because I JUST KNOW you were wondering how I ended up working for a Republican and having a fine time talking to Bob Dole, with whom I disagreed on many substantive issues. I know you people.]
You actually think and ponder. Great quality.
Well, then