Look for a college football rule change

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Look for a college football rule change

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:31 am

During an otherwise unmemorable ACC Championship game, Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett pulled off a "trick play" that's already become controversial. As he ran downfield on a scramble, he raised his arm and bent his knees as if he was going to slide. The Wake Forest defender a yard away pulled up and Pickett immediately accelerated for a long touchdown run. Later he admitted that he had practiced that play before. There is no penalty for doing what Pickett did, but if he had slid and a WF defender hit him, it would have been a 15 yard penalty. Look for rules officials to address this in the offseason.

Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

Re: Look for a college football rule change

#2 Post by BackInTex » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:42 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:31 am
During an otherwise unmemorable ACC Championship game, Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett pulled off a "trick play" that's already become controversial. As he ran downfield on a scramble, he raised his arm and bent his knees as if he was going to slide. The Wake Forest defender a yard away pulled up and Pickett immediately accelerated for a long touchdown run. Later he admitted that he had practiced that play before. There is no penalty for doing what Pickett did, but if he had slid and a WF defender hit him, it would have been a 15 yard penalty. Look for rules officials to address this in the offseason.
I saw this on EFB.

I think the rule should be something similar to the intent of the balk rule in baseball where if the pitcher makes a move that would give runners the impression he is beginning his pitch thus signaling to them they can run if they want.

For college football, once the QB provides any indication he is beginning a slide, the ball is dead at that point as that is the "beginning" of the slide. Had he continued with the slide, the spot where the motions he made would or should have been where they spot the ball.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:21 am

BackInTex wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:42 am
I saw this on EFB.

I think the rule should be something similar to the intent of the balk rule in baseball where if the pitcher makes a move that would give runners the impression he is beginning his pitch thus signaling to them they can run if they want.

For college football, once the QB provides any indication he is beginning a slide, the ball is dead at that point as that is the "beginning" of the slide. Had he continued with the slide, the spot where the motions he made would or should have been where they spot the ball.
Easier just to make it a penalty to fake a slide. On a real slide the ball should be dead at its spot when the QB hits the turf. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#4 Post by Vandal » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:47 am

Somehow, the Patriots will lose a draft pick over this.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:41 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:21 am
BackInTex wrote:
I saw this on EFB.

Easier just to make it a penalty to fake a slide. On a real slide the ball should be dead at its spot when the QB hits the turf. --Bob
I disagree, and I may be splitting hairs with you but, I think the ball should be dead where/when the defense is supposed to back off (just like when a player steps out of bounds). Once a quarterback gives up the play, initiates the slide, the ball should be dead, otherwise the will start working on how to "surf their slides" to get an additional yard or two..
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:53 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:41 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:21 am
BackInTex wrote:
I saw this on EFB.

I disagree, and I may be splitting hairs with you but, I think the ball should be dead where/when the defense is supposed to back off (just like when a player steps out of bounds). Once a quarterback gives up the play, initiates the slide, the ball should be dead, otherwise the will start working on how to "surf their slides" to get an additional yard or two.
Slides are supposed to be feet-first and the play currently ends as soon as the QB's derriere makes contact with the ground, so in practice I don't think that's a problem. I think it's harder to judge when the quarterback "initiates" the slide than it is to figure out the ball's location when the quarterback makes contact with the ground. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 pm

NCAA Rules Committee Outlaws Fake Slide After Kenny Pickett's Viral Play

The NCAA Football Oversight committee sent a bulletin to game officials regarding the “fake slide” by Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickett in the ACC championship game, sources told Sports Illustrated's Pat Forde.

Coordinator of officials Steve Shaw instructed officials to blow a play dead in event of a fake slide attempt by a quarterback. Pickett's fancy move that led to a 58-yard touchdown left fans, teams and everyone in-between wondering if it was legal.

"Any time a ball carrier begins, simulates, or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on field officials at that point. The intent of the rule is player safety, and the objective is to give a ball carrier an option to end the play by sliding feet first and to avoid contact," the ruling reads, in part. "To allow the ball carrier to fake a slide would compromise the defense that is being instructed to let up when the ball carrier slides feet first. A fake slide will not be considered reviewable under Rule 12-3-3 – Dead Ball and Loose Ball."

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/10/n ... ny-pickett
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:27 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 pm

The NCAA Football Oversight committee sent a bulletin to game officials regarding the “fake slide” by Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickett in the ACC championship game, sources told Sports Illustrated's Pat Forde.

Coordinator of officials Steve Shaw instructed officials to blow a play dead in event of a fake slide attempt by a quarterback. Pickett's fancy move that led to a 58-yard touchdown left fans, teams and everyone in-between wondering if it was legal.

"Any time a ball carrier begins, simulates, or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on field officials at that point. The intent of the rule is player safety, and the objective is to give a ball carrier an option to end the play by sliding feet first and to avoid contact," the ruling reads, in part. "To allow the ball carrier to fake a slide would compromise the defense that is being instructed to let up when the ball carrier slides feet first. A fake slide will not be considered reviewable under Rule 12-3-3 – Dead Ball and Loose Ball."

That didn't take long.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:44 am

Vandal wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 pm

Isn't there already a similar rule about a fake fair catch? If not there should be.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."